Author Topic: To moustache or not moustache?  (Read 1026 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
To moustache or not moustache?
« on: 25 June, 2018, 02:05:33 pm »
a-la

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/549545-drop-bar-flat-bar-change.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Rideable, comfortable, just stoopid looking?

I have a set of on-one mungo's that I'd intended putting on my old MTB, but wrong size of course and no appetite to change a whole set of working components. A direct swap for the Giant rebuild though

What's the peanut gallery's thoughts?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: To moustache or not moustache?
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:19:52 pm »
Oscar's Dad's Disc trucker sports a pair of Midge(?) bars and I believe he finds them extremely comfy. Certainly comfy enough for Alp d'Huez and others.

Last year I built a gravel bike based on a Carrera Crossfire and bar end shifters which the customer is also very happy with.

Sure there are lots of others who use them for touring or Audax.

I'd say go for it...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:33:22 pm »
I had Nitto Moustache bars on my rigid MTB (with Allsop stem) for several years before the turn of the century but never really got on with them. The brake levers have to sit virtually level on moustache bars but I always like my brake levers pointing down at close to 45 degrees on flat bars and similar shapes. No matter what angle I tilted the bars and levers, I just couldn't get them to work nicely. Nitto Dirtdrops or flats with barends worked much better for me but YMMV
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:40:46 pm »
For me, moustache bars work very well with reversed TT levers in the ends of the bars - but this limits your options for shifters somewhat.  Great for fixed/SS - a nice upright position for braking.  I found that there are only really two usable hand positions - at the ends of the bars, and further forward on the start of the curve.  I don't like the forward horizontal position of standard brake levers/STIs on moustaches - for much the same reasons as LWaB.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:46:27 pm »
Thanks all, please bear in mind, this is a "budget" rebuild, not looking to purchase a single new part here for this.  Having cannibalised the Giant for the Cruzbike, I'm looking to rebuild out of peoples spares boxes, including my own, so it's drop bar brifters all the way for me as the ones I have are in perfectly good order.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2018, 04:21:59 pm »
Had them on my main commuter for several years, but never liked their width, except in slow city traffic. So I mainly used to lean on the aero bars I had mounted on top of the moustache bar.

Went over to a 44 cm wide Chinese drop bar made of 22.2 mm aluminium tubing, so the shifters would still fit, and never looked back.