Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 232537 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #225 on: 21 November, 2012, 11:48:59 pm »
Rufus Wainwright, at York Barbican.

http://www.yorkbarbican.co.uk/performance/19648.aspx

99% amazing. Should have trusted my instincts on the encore thobut. The set of treads from stage to auditorium had rung a loud warning bell for me when we first went in, and yes indeed the encore made use of them. Audience participation before December and without a Dame and an apparently dyspraxic equine/bovine on the stage should be illegal. I half wished they'd made it up to us in the balcony with their 'everyone has to stand up now' nonsense so I could tell 'em so, rather more succinctly and less politely. Finish the set 25 minutes before the published running order has told your audience you are going to, and then make them stand for 5 minutes before you let half the band grace the stage, then send on a bloke in a nappy and angel wings to summon the god of music, Rufus Apollo? See that shark mate? You just jumped it. Astonishing line up who didn't need any of that shite. Mind, even with a couple of dozen audience members and a giant foam sandwich and a quite astonishing pink glittery bikini all featuring on stage, the last three minutes sounded pretty gorgeous. If you shut your eyes.

*goes off to google/spotify various other members of the band/support acts*

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #226 on: 21 November, 2012, 11:59:20 pm »
I get the impression that he dates from after the time I lost the plot with music, but even without knowledge of genre, it seems safe to say that that's the stuff of bad co-codamol dreams.

« Reply #227 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:41:35 am »
Rufus Wainwright, at York Barbican.

http://www.yorkbarbican.co.uk/performance/19648.aspx

99% amazing. Should have trusted my instincts on the encore thobut. The set of treads from stage to auditorium had rung a loud warning bell for me when we first went in, and yes indeed the encore made use of them. Audience participation before December and without a Dame and an apparently dyspraxic equine/bovine on the stage should be illegal. I half wished they'd made it up to us in the balcony with their 'everyone has to stand up now' nonsense so I could tell 'em so, rather more succinctly and less politely. Finish the set 25 minutes before the published running order has told your audience you are going to, and then make them stand for 5 minutes before you let half the band grace the stage, then send on a bloke in a nappy and angel wings to summon the god of music, Rufus Apollo? See that shark mate? You just jumped it. Astonishing line up who didn't need any of that shite. Mind, even with a couple of dozen audience members and a giant foam sandwich and a quite astonishing pink glittery bikini all featuring on stage, the last three minutes sounded pretty gorgeous. If you shut your eyes.

*goes off to google/spotify various other members of the band/support acts*

It was a proper show of pop music, even if it did sink into self-indulgence at the end. Rufus can sing - there was a heartbreaking rendition of the Art Teacher with just him and a piano.

There was a whole sons-of-famous-parents thing going on, cos as well as Rufus Wainwright, we had support from Teddy Thompson and Adam Cohen. I hadn't heard of Adam Cohen before, but given the rest of the line-up, I should probably have guessed that he was Leonard's lad. I did enjoy what we saw of his set, so I should check out his music.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #228 on: 22 November, 2012, 07:28:38 am »
Rufus can sing - there was a heartbreaking rendition of the Art Teacher with just him and a piano.
Ho yuss.

There was a whole sons-of-famous-parents thing going on, cos as well as Rufus Wainwright, we had support from Teddy Thompson and Adam Cohen.
Indeed - the people we were sitting next to (whose son is in the same class as the EldestCub - small world, York!) had only gone because of Teddy Thompson.  Who I would have quite happily gone to listen to for a couple of hours! 

I hadn't heard of Adam Cohen before, but given the rest of the line-up, I should probably have guessed that he was Leonard's lad. I did enjoy what we saw of his set, so I should check out his music.
I hadn't either, but that's no surprise to anyone that knows how ignorant I am.  He was indeed splendid.  Krystle Warren's the one that has made it onto the breakfast playlist though.  Her solo number and the version they did of his dad's song were two of the real highlights for me.  Although the opening song was amazing too.  And the one with piano.  And, well, all of it really apart from the silly encore which was, admittedly, funny.  Just not funny enough for how long it was.

« Reply #229 on: 22 November, 2012, 08:00:10 am »
Did Rufus do Sans Souci?  I like Rufus but I suppose I'm always going to prefer his ancestors.  "Go Leave" by Kate and Anna McGarrigle is a desert island song for me.

LindaG

« Reply #230 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »
Did Rufus do Sans Souci?  I like Rufus but I suppose I'm always going to prefer his ancestors.  "Go Leave" by Kate and Anna McGarrigle is a desert island song for me.

I just checked that out on Spotify Peter.  Now there's lovely.  Thanks for flagging it up.  Rufus has always been one of those names I've been aware of, on the periphery of other stuff, and music other people listen to.  Perhaps I should investigate more thoroughly.  And I plan to give the McGarrigle sisters another go as well, on your recommendation.

LindaG

« Reply #231 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:29:23 pm »
  "Go Leave" by Kate and Anna McGarrigle is a desert island song for me.

Oh dear.   :'(

Bit smoky in here all of a sudden.

« Reply #232 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:33:07 pm »

Now try their version of 'Heart like a wheel'

"Some say love,
Is just like a wheel,
If you bend it, you cannot mend it."

So appropriate for a cyclist
<i>Marmite slave</i>

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #233 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »
Last week - Weevil Zappa playing his dad's stuff!
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #234 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:45:26 pm »
Last week - Weevil Zappa playing his dad's stuff!

GIT!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #235 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:49:35 pm »

Now try their version of 'Heart like a wheel'

"Some say love,
Is just like a wheel,
If you bend it, you cannot mend it."

So appropriate for a cyclist

:)

I love them, especially the first 2 or 3 albums.

Linda, sorry it's so sad; some things are worth a few tears!  It does end hopefully, though - although the relationship failed eventually!

LindaG

« Reply #236 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:57:15 pm »
There's some really nice Banjo on there.  I'm going to see a mate in a minute who's a bit of a Banjo man, I shall introduce him  :)

« Reply #237 on: 22 November, 2012, 07:26:19 pm »

I don;t think he did, Peter. He did one Loudon tune, and as a tribute to his mother, a couple of Kate McGarrigle songs, though he sang neither of them. Teddy Thompson sang one, and Krystle Warren sang the other, both quite wonderfully.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #238 on: 23 November, 2012, 10:16:29 pm »
Beach House at the Roundhouse
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

rob

« Reply #239 on: 06 December, 2012, 09:58:56 pm »
Elbow at the O2 last Sunday.   2hrs of sheer bliss.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #240 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
Electric Six last Wednesday - better than last time saw them, but sadly wrapping it up at the end of this tour; all things must pass.  Dick Valentine's a great frontman, with a very dry sense of humour.  Unsurprisngly he's launching a solo project.  However, he thinks I look like 'a Russian skull'.  Does anyone have any idea what a Russian skull is?

Ben Folds Five last Saturday.  They were a bit early for me, so it was fantastic to see them re-formed.  I was standing right in front of their bass player (and boy, has he put on weight since they were last together) so heard more of him than anyone else, but it was still a cracking set, with lots of singalong favourites to go with the new stuff.  Talking of singalong, Ben now just assumes that the crowd know how to do the horn section on Army.

« Reply #241 on: 07 December, 2012, 07:11:18 am »
However, he thinks I look like 'a Russian skull'.  Does anyone have any idea what a Russian skull is?

Not sure, but from the above we can deduce that it must look  somewhat like this

:demon:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #242 on: 08 December, 2012, 06:51:15 pm »
http://theduchessyork.co.uk/whats-on/detail/1050

Picked, as I'd never heard of them, almost entirely on the basis that I had nowt on this weekend and it was local, pretty cheap, and they were Scottish.  I do like an accent, y'see.  Having bought the tickets I Spotified a little, found two albums that I rather like and decided that it might not be a bad random pick.  And it was at The Duchess - we saw Simone Felice there a few weeks back.  Basement venue.  Sticky floors, crap beer, smiley and pretty humorous doorstaff, insufficiently numerous barstaff.  I rather like it.

After a pint or two in town with Mr Bunbury, That Deano and I headed venue-wards and wandered in to a near empty room where a bloke on the stage with a blue guitar and harmonica was singing, whose name I didn't get but who was OK.  Next up were "Captains of Industry" who I believe are locals - definitely a warm up band, I felt.  Then "Olympic Swimmers" who have a lead singer who has both A Voice and An Accent. *Charlotte-esque little moment*  The rest of the band can go home though - they were OK, but they made it hard to hear her as well as I'd have liked, and just her on her own would have been sufficient :D

Despite the lead singer's grumpiness, I rather liked Admiral Fallow too - well, they have Voices and Accents and a flute and a clarinet and they aren't afraid to use 'em.  Oh, and some splendidly impressive guitarist facial hair.  A nice slight surprise was that the vocals felt more balanced between lead singer chap and the accordion/keyboard/flute playing female vocalist than I'd expected from the albums, which worked for me.  The burly beardy clarinettist was my favourite, by a fair margin, mind.  And when he stopped playing and came in with the "It harks back to" line on the vocals on Tree Bursts, which they played as their opening track, it was a proper tingle moment.  Liked him.

They had a couple of technical problems (of the loud bang and, I suspect, escaping magic smoke variety) but coped admirably and carried on tunefully.  Good sounds, a fair mix of tempos and tones in the fairly dynamic set list, nice wordy lyrics.  Beetle in the Box talks of dictionaries and nouns and verbs and the gaps and the spaces in between - and more use should be made of words like timorous in lyrics, I feel.  Linguistic trickery and an appreciation of liminal spaces. In good accents too.  It was always likely to be a winner for me, really.  It did start to feel a bit flat in the middle, possibly when the lead singer announced a couple of songs as 'drinking songs' that, well, weren't really.  And seemed a bit narked at the polite appreciation that greeted them.  But a rousing rendition of "Guest of the Governement" seemed to get them back on track.

Next Big Thing lead singer (who, instinct tells me, has been reading his own reviews a bit too much) just really needed to understand that this is York.  So the audience is terribly nice, and just a bit polite, but will start off pretty much on your side and it's up to you what you do with that.  Telling us off for not being whoop whoop enough was never going to work.  If you want Yorkies to jump up and down and clap and sing along and stuff, tell them so.  If we like you (standing in the middle of us it was really obvious that we mostly did plus I wasn't the only one who knew the words so there were clearly a few actual fans there, as well as us accidentals with nowt better to do on a Friday night) then we probably will, because we are nice like that.  As he finally discovered in the encore, when they made us wait just a slightly irritating minute or two too long but then delivered up a rather splendid rendition of "Isn't this World Enough". 

I'd go see 'em again.  I'd even happily pay more than the 9 quid it cost for last night's ticket.  Slightly perturbed at seeing a gig where I knew every track on the set list and most of the words mind...

« Reply #243 on: 13 December, 2012, 11:29:24 pm »
Not recent, but this is as good a place as any to put this.

During the End of the Road Festival, we generally went for after hours at the Tipi Tent, where bands and acts that had been popular in the daytime came to play their after-hours gigs. This usually worked really well, as the bands would take a more relaxed approach and play a set that they couldn't have played on the main stage. Jeffrey Lewis had a slide show, the highlight being a lecture upon A History of Punk Rock as it Developed on the Lower East Side of New York.  The Low Anthem played an astonishingly boozy set as their alter egos Snake Wagon, where the festival organiser came onstage and bawled a few numbers to close the festival.  You get the idea.

Anyway, on the first evening proper, we wandered over when there was nowt on the main stage we fancied, and someone told us that the first act up were Horse Thief, who had apparently played a fine set earlier in the day.

They came on stage, and you couldn't have found four more ill-matched white lads. The lead singer had early seventies rock written all over him, the bassist looked like an extra from Happy Days, the drummer looked as though the lead singer kept him in a box all day and ate all his pies, and the keyboardist was in disguise, crouching behind his board and drawing as little attention to himself as possible.

But then they started, with a gorgeous drip of Fela Kuti guitars, and the lead singer, who could have survived the Lynyrd Skynyrd planewreck, opened his throat to sing in an incongruous Morrisey-esque drawl. It was bloody good. They even chucked in a loudhailer for no apparent reason during the first tune.

I was pleased to see that they studied at the George Formby School of holding your guitar really high on your chest. We even saw our mate Geoffrey, a floppy-haired Old English Sheepdog of a bloke who was at the front of every performance, using his right arm to make his hair even bigger, a right arm filled to the elbow with wristbands from all the festivals he'd been to. He must have been one of the faces of the festival - a fair few people shouted "Alright Geoff" when they passed him.

Still, the star of Horse Thief's show was the bassist. He might not have played that many notes, but there was a lot happening onstage.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/apFjFRJAXjo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/apFjFRJAXjo&rel=1</a>

It was a good show.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #244 on: 14 December, 2012, 12:31:54 am »
Ah... the Pony Pinchers.  They were splendid, weren't they?  I reckon I might go the entire rest of my life and never again see bassist-gurning done to such a high standard :D  I think the best thing about them was that they just looked, frankly, so completely unlikely.  But then did a great set.

And this was before drinking silly amounts of red wine in a field at 3am, so I was still remarkably sober and it wasn't just the boozahol that made me think so!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #245 on: 16 December, 2012, 12:38:59 am »
A game of two halves, last night's gigging....

First up, the utterly enchanting Kate Rusby at the Barbican.  With LG and MrCharly and That Deano and Clarion and Butterfly.  An almost full house, Ms Rusby in fine fettle and, together with the rest of the band, clearly delighted to be in York.  She really, really loved the selection of songs on the set list, btw.  Which I hadn't really clocked was a Christmas show, although had seen a flyer that mentioned Yorkshire Carols.

Opening with a splendid rendition of "While Shepherds..." to the tune of Ilkley Moor, complete with brass quintet.  Oh my.  She talked about the south yorkshire tradition and her family history of standing room only in the pubs, singing the carols that the Victorians had thrown out of the church for being a bit too cheerful and joyous.  Anecdotes aplenty, including the audience member who once gave them a Christmas Radio Times (which made her incredibly happy) and the one that asked for a set list with the keys on then produced a trumpet and played along, from his seat, through the whole thing, and the chap who left at half tie 'because it was all a bit Christian".  Oh, and I _want_ the wings her mam made for her the year she got to play Gabriel in the school Christmas play.  Butterfly and LG both want her ridiculously beautiful red shoes - although we couldn't work out from our relatively lofty seat how tall she is, and who they might fit.  The complete fit of the giggles she got to the extent of being unable to start singing the next song on cue (in response to what sounded like a very very audible audience fart) made me, quite literally, cry with laughter.  She left 'the boys' to it for an instrumental mash up at one point - never again do I expect to hear the Snowman scored for brass quintet and banjo.  The brass was, incidentally, glorious.  There should be more brass bands in the world. 

Lots of encouragement to join in and singalong - Deano commented that he needed a hymn sheet though.  Apparently York sang _much_ better than Bristol.  They did a couple of tracks from 20, the album released this year to celebrate 20 years in the business but the rest was all jolly festive - including a further two While Shepherds and I can't remember how many Holly and The Ivies.  I actually rather like carols, but was a bit concerned that I basically made Clarion listen to 2 and a half hours of singing (complete with some not always very good choices about levels from the sound engineer) about the nativity and Jesus.  However, he didn't mind in the slightest because it was utterly, completely splendid. 

Then we went across the road  to the Edinburgh Arms where Whyte Fyre - a band who describe themselves as "one of the top 100 bands to come out of Osbaldwick" - were playing.  Well, I know them.  All your favourites, "uniquely" rendered and performed to an audience of friends and colleagues plus a handful of slightly perplexed pub regulars.  I remember the days when they played in matching white nylon elvis-style jumpsuits.  They still do a raffle though - selling the tickets in the interval and calling the numbers towards the end of the set.  Dean won a chocolate variety box, so that was supper sorted.

Definitely a game of two halves.  But actually rather good fun all round.

« Reply #246 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:25:43 am »
...and coincidentally, the Unthanks were on the telly last night, celebrating English winter traditions, and they visited one of the South Yorkshire pubs which keeps up the carols:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pdsvd/A_Very_English_Winter_The_Unthanks

No Whyte Fyre in there. Maybe in future editions.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #247 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:37:10 am »
Fingers crossed there isn't ;D
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #248 on: 29 December, 2012, 12:33:23 am »
So I was meant to be going out to a mate's birthday drinks tonight.  But that got cancelled a couple of days back, because many of the invitees had real life, work or lurgies get in the way.  It was one of very few interesting plans I'd made for these few days when the Cubs are away, so I was a bit :( really.  But that's OK - I had a bike ride planned yesterday.  But then weather happened, so we put that off.  And I made a contingency plan to go to a gig this evening, so we figured we'd have a ride today and then go to the gig.  And then lurgy happened so I was once more Billy no mates, having been stood up for three thngs in one day!  I had a pair of tickets, advertised via a variety of social media, and nobody wanted to come out to play.  But one of the (lurgy infested) birthday invitees suggested via fb inviting the mate with the birthday.  So I did.  And he could come!  Hurrah!

The following is a gig review, through the medium of selected and occasionally slightly edited text messages sent to assorted people (not all of whom stood me up today!) during said gig.

This gig, btw
http://www.thebasementyork.co.uk/news-item/222/

The headliners were a local band called The Blueprints.  Who have just released an EP, as you couldn't escape noticing.

Off to gig on my tod. However I may have found a partner in crime. The one with the birthday, if he can get over from harrogate in time!
Well, I might end up getting stood up for a 4th time, so wait and see!
4 for 4!
Meh. He missed the train. This place is tiny!
Omg. It's full of young ppl!
They have a pre-support act warm up act!
He's not bad. Particularly if he's the opener on a 4 act bill.
The compere just did a slot. A song entitled "Northern Rail Would Like To Apologise". Every bit as silly as it sounds. I think that the first guy (singing, guitar, stamping) may have been theoretically the first band and have experienced artistic differences from some of the asides :-D Littlemores are ok. But I went to the bar anyway.
They all look about 11!
Shocking lack of bassist gurning. Although the drummer is worth watching ;-)
Oh, compere chap is back. With bongo backing track. And random guitar chap was just a random extra so we are about to get the second support band. Apparently!
Yebbut we've had random bloke with guitar, then the compere doing a number called Northern Rail Would like To Apologise, then support act #1 and now support act#2 are setting up. For a fiver. Vfm anyway...
Buggrit. I skipped the compere's second slot to go to the bar and the second tallest man at the gig nicked my spot near the front as I was battling through all the cool kids blocking the stairs and the doorway. I may have a view of a shoulder when the next lot play.
Apologies. He was only the third tallest. Second tallest was sat in front of him. Note the was...
He moved! This lot look at least 18 anyway. The buccaneers. They're not bad actually!
Note to venue technical staff. Gaffer tape is.not an appropriate fixing method for stage lighting. When it falls on an audience member leaving it dangling by the power cord while you retrieve scissors and masking tape to effect a repair fails to inspire confidence.
Where is kim when you need her!
So buccaneers in a nutshell... drummer too pretty and he knows it, plenty of tortured effort faces or extreme chewing antics tho. Bassist facial hair shockingly tidy. Sounded quite good.
Uh oh. Compere again.... will he sing another?
Humour! That's better!
Cello!
They were ok!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #249 on: 29 December, 2012, 12:38:03 am »
Oh - and I managed to offload the spare ticket to a random stranger who was queuing to pay at the door.  She seemed to appreciate it, and it made me :D