Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 232127 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #300 on: 16 June, 2013, 12:22:32 pm »
Ahab, at the Arts Centre in Pocklington.

http://www.pocklingtonartscentre.co.uk/shows+on/15-06-2013

Nice bike ride out there, just missing the rain and stopping for a pretty damn fine coffee and cake at the Balloon Tree near Stamford Bridge, then tea round at Granny Annie's with assorted labradors trying to nick bits.  Then we piled GA and her oxygen tank into the wheelchair and walked round to the Oak House.

It's a cracking venue.  Formerly the Ritz - where I had my first ever experience of going to the cinema (Call of The Wild, aged about 7) and also the first place I ever sneaked in underage (one of the Rambos - dunno which, it was a long time ago) and where I once remember waiting outside for an hour to see something because the projectionist hadn't showed up.  It closed and reopened with a refurbishment back when I lived in Pock, then closed again before reopening as the Arts Centre the best part of 15 years ago.  Mostly volunteer staffed, and very strongly a community venture.  Granny Annie and my elder sister are on nod and greet terms with the sound technician, who has to set his board up in the wheelchair space.... and the whole place gives an impression of everybody knowing everybody.  Like being 15 again, I almost felt like I needed to be surreptitious with my pint.  Except I was sitting next to my mam... The venue still has the original seats that I remember from my childhood, although they have been reupholstered, but the shiny brass clickety clack ticket dispensing machine is no more.  There is a bar now though. 

Support was a fairly entertaining random Swedish chap called Ben who, it turns out, is a flatmate and squash partner of one of the guys in Ahab.  Old english sheepdog locks and impressive facial hair, he could get a lot of good noise out of a guitar and had a voice that worked for me despite the american twang.  Maybe I'm more forgiving of it it people who are singing in a foreign language.  I liked the sound he made better than the songs he sang, overall.

The headliners were missing one of their number, due to a recent visit from the stork keeping him busy.  They'd got a substitute (apparently another flatmate) in to take on the bassist's job and the bassist was redeployed to 12 string guitar.  I suspect this had a bit of an impact - several of the people I went with have seen them a couple of times before and commented that they felt the lack of the-missing-band-member.  They were pleasant enough, and fairly entertaining, but it felt a bit like they played the same song on repeat for the majority of the set and there wasn't a moment in there that what they did really grabbed me.  The nearest they got was probably in the encore when they switched off the amps and got the audience to sing along which - this being Pocklington - they did with great gusto.  Nice middle class boys being tuneful, but nothing exciting and a bit meh overall, I felt.  The full to capacity (200 seater) venue seemed very happy with them though. 

Then a wander back to Granny's for coffee and chocolate cake before a nearly-midnight departure and a rather splendid ride back home.  An enjoyable evening, although probably more for the bike ride (34 miles round trip - possibly the furthest I've done in about 8 months!) than the talent.

In summary....

Ahab - I probably wouldn't bother again. 
Pock Arts Centre - definitely.  Fabulous spot.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #301 on: 16 June, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »
Springsteen - last night at Wembley.

Not a fan of stadium gigs but Springsteen, his energy and the band somehow managed to make it seem like a more intimate affair.  Especial bonus was that they played the entirety of the 'Darkness on the edge of town' album as part of the set (mainly because I have recently really been getting into that album again).

The whole set was just under three and a half hours long, started with new stuff, others and requests, followed by the 'Darkness' set and then followed by more classics.  Over-ran a bit but unlike the Hyde Park gig last year, at least Wembley didn't turn the sound off.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #302 on: 16 June, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »
Saw him in the late 80s. Best stadium gig I've ever been to. (and no, that's not because it is the only stadium gig i've ever been to  ;D)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #303 on: 16 June, 2013, 09:14:59 pm »
I am at the Rick Wakeman Concert at Cheltenham

Eleanor Rigby in the style of Prokofiev with full choir and Orchestra .... Stunning

Also had the first Uk performance from"Arthur" since 1975

And the second half is Journey to the Centre of the Earth

« Reply #304 on: 16 June, 2013, 09:32:21 pm »
The Who at The O2 yesterday.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Got a VIP pass to the Green room bar & backstage after the gig.  :D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #305 on: 16 June, 2013, 11:51:48 pm »
Joe Satriani, at the Portsmouth Guildhall.  8)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #306 on: 17 June, 2013, 07:56:26 am »
I, too, was at Springsteen and he really rocked the joint. Which, considering the vast expanse of the stadium is a pretty amazing achievement. I reckon it's the Grecian 2000 that helped. Ahhh that's churlish, he is still one of the very very very best live gigs ever. The E-Street band, steve van zandt, max weinberg all on top form

I have a couple of vids. Here is Jackson Cage, the "DIY" hungry heart will follow, but I may have to use Youtube rather than vimeo

« Reply #307 on: 17 June, 2013, 10:57:56 am »

« Reply #308 on: 17 June, 2013, 11:39:52 am »

« Reply #309 on: 17 June, 2013, 12:47:47 pm »

« Reply #310 on: 17 June, 2013, 08:50:05 pm »
going to see Brooce for first time at Hampdung tomorrow :D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #311 on: 20 June, 2013, 08:06:16 pm »
I was so knackered after work yesterday that I very nearly didn't bother.  But I managed to do battle with the online food shopping and win (I think) and decided that I would commit to going out, so booked my ticket online.  Paid now.  Have to go.  So... this one, last night.
http://www.thebasementyork.co.uk/event/1880/

The City Screen is undergoing renovations, so it was all a bit building site in odd corners of the place.  Basement seems unaffected... and is a venue that I really like, to the extent that I'm completely unphased by going to stuff there on my own, pretty much.  Last night it was mostly occupied by Officially Young People in skinny rolled up jeans and checked shirts.  Many of whom were sporting mildly entertaining facial hair.  I bet they all rode there fixed.  And brakeless.  I hadn't really paid much attention to the line up, apart from the name "Blue Rose Code" catching my eye on a listings website, but the Basement events often offer a 3 or 4 band lineup and I usually find something in there that I can get on OK with.  I have discovered a very strong preference for female vocalists, overall, but there's usually one in there somewhere.

I got there part way through the first support act so caught 3annabit tracks by him.  A chap called Chris Laycock, with a guitar, who I actually rather liked.  Nice voice, and a pleasingly confident-but-not-cocky-quite-glad-to-be-here-thank-you-yes-I -do-enjoy-doing-this-hope-you-do-too sort of attitude.  He got a female accomplice to join him for his last track (which is cheating really as she was bloody good and that automatically won him points with me) and jolly good they sounded too.  I'd go see 'em again.  Or, actually, just him.

Next up, a chap called Zak.  With a guitar.  Skinny jeans? Check.  Checked shirt? Check.  Beard? Check.  The loud people in the audience got louder.  Dunno if they knew him - there was banter about birthdays, so maybe.  OK, but I couldn't make out the words and that always irritates me.  A heck of a voice on him, but it was all a bit impassioned and heartfelt in a way that felt a bit OTT after the more understated first chap with a guitar who I definitely preferred.  Despite impressive facial hair he got possibly the best audience heckle of the night, from a lady sat at the table just in front of me, when he announced a song called 'When I was Young'... "What do you mean?  You're about 10!"

Next up, a chap called Nathan.  With a guitar.  Spotting a theme yet?  No check shirt or beard tho, opting instead for an emphasise-your-fragility baggy black t-shirt with huge armholes and wafting-around waist length hair with much timotei-esque sweeping it off one's face.  Mandatory skinny jeans present and correct, however.  I have to say, he can clearly really play his guitar.  And there's a voice there all right, but the mid-atlantic drawl from a nice Yorkshire lad irritated, as it so often does.  "Honest Love" was an expression of his cynicism about romantic love that made me want to ruffle his flowing locks patronisingly, since I'm old enough to be his mum and sometimes get a little tetchy when singers lecture me about such things.  A song about his parents splitting up caused me to reflect that this was the second time in the last month or two I've seen an act young enough to be my child perform a track about parental strife, and both have irritated me.  If you're old enough to be drinking beer and performing on stage you're old enough to not be whining about how your dreadful parents had the temerity to fall out of love and fuck you up in so doing.  There were a couple of covers but, in my dreadful woeful cultural ignorance, I couldn't tell you what of.  I actually think he was possibly better than I'm making him sound, mind.

Then, around 10 o'clock and after 2 hours or so of chaps with guitars, the headliner.  A chap.  With a choice of guitars.  Skinny jeans, checked shirt, beard.  Fingers crossed....

A few words about the creaky stage floor, moving the mic stand to a slightly less creaky spot, and off we went with a softly sung number.  And, completely unexpected bonus, a Proper Accent!  I hadn't noticed he was Scottish.  The atmosphere in the room went from typically York-ish politely quiet (the rowdy lot had left after Zak finished) to quietly attentive - a subtle but important distinction.

I really, really liked him.  A voice powerful enough to fill to overflowing every nook and cranny of the (admittedly diminutive) space but used intelligently and, particularly in the quiet moments, capable of being stunningly beautiful.  Gravel aplenty, and honest vowels to boot.  Quality banter, and there wasn't a song in the set list that I didn't like although Skin and Bones stood out, and the one about the highland clearances.  Oh, and the Ghosts of Leith, and my favourite was probably Julie during which he got all the supporting acts on stage to sing backing (apparently it had been the same lot, doing the same thing, last time he played York a few years back) and made us join in and despite being the random fat middle-aged-scruffy-bird-at-the-back and a little out of place and Not Approving of such things, I did because I felt like it.  Partly because he was so very engaging and all that.  Plus it sounded rather good. 

I've listened to the album today - quite a lot.  He performed the majority of the tracks from it last night, and they sounded very different since there's lots of other instruments and people involved on the recordings.  But both versions work for me.

And the best thing of all?  He's playing Deershed in July.  I have tickets!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #312 on: 20 June, 2013, 08:46:43 pm »
Woo! I has tickets to see 65 Days of Static!
Not only that, but in Ghent, so I get to scoff Belgian beer all weekend too. This makes me very happy :D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #313 on: 21 June, 2013, 06:42:47 am »
Despite impressive facial hair he got possibly the best audience heckle of the night, from a lady sat at the table just in front of me, when he announced a song called 'When I was Young'... "What do you mean?  You're about 10!"

It was probably a cover of this song:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_I_Was_Young

That last guy sounds good.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #314 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:46:05 am »

A quick heads up for those that have read Crinkly's review, would like to see Blur Rose Code and are in the Cambridgeshire area.  He is playing at the Baptist Chapel in Waterbeach this Saturday.

http://www.ents24.com/cambridge-events/baptist-chapel-waterbeach/blue-rose-code/3400425

Tickets are £7.50
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

« Reply #315 on: 21 June, 2013, 11:09:03 am »
I only paid 6 quid in York!  North-south divide :D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #316 on: 21 June, 2013, 11:22:45 am »
Maybe, or maybe because the gig down here is a charity affair.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

« Reply #317 on: 28 June, 2013, 12:39:28 am »
Wave Pictures, @the Basement.  The second night of a three night residency.

Wow.  Wish I'd worked out a way to go yesterday now.

More tomorrow.

Hurrah!

« Reply #318 on: 28 June, 2013, 06:43:16 pm »
The Wave Pictures at the Basement, York

There were also a couple of support acts - first up, Sam something or other, who was as forgettable as his surname.

Short review: Teen Angst Corner goes Acoustic.

Longer review: adequate bloke-with-twangy-guitar. The first song, with added harmonica, had a dusty desert air about it, aided by the amount of reverb in the sound. Shame about the lyrics - I did want to stop him and ask exactly what lyrics such as "eyes like a river" meant. I'm not even sure that's grammatically correct. I was having flashbacks to sixth form poetry group, though thankfully it didn't turn into an all-out confessional. The song about playing with his mates at the skatepark was the most successful...

Second up, Fillmark (I think).

Short review: band desperately seeks drummer.

They had a similar stage presence (and glasses) to Public Service Broadcasting, and some of their middle-class charm. The bassist is getting married at the weekend, and announced that he has 50 pounds of Wensleydale in his fridge. That's the sort of act you get in York.

They came on stage and announced "Hi, we're Fillmark from Leeds, and we're going to play some pop music", but the first few songs were ropey Joy Division a-like chuggers, and sent me off speculating about where this lot would fit in the football pyramid, if Joy Division were Manchester United. They wouldn't even be Accrington Stanley - maybe Darlington Spraire Lads under 16s.

Actually, that's quite unfair. As the set progressed, they added a bit more variety to their sound, and it's always good to see an omnichord being used to good effect. OK, I had no idea what one was before last night, but whatever it was, I liked it.

They urgently need a drummer, though, not only to fill the sound, but to avoid the awkward pauses while they tried to arrange the rebellious pre-programmed beats.

The final song was their best, a morose eulogy to death on the roads set to a cheery pop beat with some good ba-ba-ba-ba-BA-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-baa-ing.

A work in progress. They probably haven't had much time to practice since half of the band is about to get married, and the sound was set up for the main act, so I can't hold the sound against them. The little old gadgie at the sound desk could have done with a stuff drink after their performance, though.

Finally there came the Wave Pictures, on the second night of their three-night residency in York, with a different set every night.

They were excellent. I've only started listening to them this year, as they're connected to a load of other bands and performers I love through a complicated network of rock family trees.

They have the classic drums, guitar, bass and voice dynamic, a load of great songs, and a really crisp sound. They mixed up the sad songs with the upbeat bouncy numbers, got the drummer to sing, and even let him rip on a couple of drum solos, which were good. Apart from rock dinosaurs, the only other bands I've seen get away with drum solos have been arty American bands who do it ironically (they probably do everything ironically), but Jonny "Huddersfield" Helms is a straightforward Yorkshire bloke, and it was just enthusiasm and energy. He sings in an upright, slightly self conscious but utterly unaffected way, too.

The lead singer/guitarist gave some amusing banter about the Jorvik Centre, and mentioned that his parents were I the crowd. They were quite easy to spot - I've never seen dad dancing like it.

The bassist is an important element, too, and he's your classic stands-there-and-plays-his-bass bassist, none of your histrionics here. Watching them, they obviously really enjoy playing together, and their years of practice showed. It was, as they say, a tight gig.

More of the same tonight, please.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #319 on: 29 June, 2013, 12:32:57 am »
Wave Pictures, @the Basement.  The second third night of a three night residency.

:o

Feck me.  That were good.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #320 on: 02 July, 2013, 07:18:58 am »
Simone Felice@The Duchess.

And my next door neighbour who is a MASSIVE fan (and father of the Smallest Superhero in York) could get to this one and got his photo taken with Felice afterwards.  And, in a completely unprecedented situation and after talking to the promoter after last week's Wave Pictures gig, I was on the guest list :o  Well, I was once I found the promoter and reminded him.

We saw Felice in the same venue a few months back, and I couldn't resist a second opportunity.  Last time he had a random brit in the line up and the utterly brilliant Simi Stone on violin and joining him on vocals.  This time it was a totally different line up - beardy aussie on assorted strings who was blinking marvellous, Felice brother Mountain John (epically hipster facial hair, moves like a mildly dyspraxic spider) on bass with both adding some vocals. And Simone Felice singing, on guitar and, unlike the last time, drums.  A completely different sound and a completely different performance, and whilst I think it would have been improved by the addition of a sprinkling of Simi's magic (though I suspect very few things wouldn't) if only so that Felice's occasional pomposity and posturing would once again be punctured by her calm self assurance and the fact that he wouldn't have been the most beautiful person on stage, bloody brilliant.  He is one heck of a performer.

And there was no poetry this time, which was a win  :D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #321 on: 03 July, 2013, 12:09:20 am »
Penultimate gig I went to see was a band called The Hillmans at Crawley Folk Festival.  Billed as "Barn Darn Music for Plumbers", a psychobilly trio from some where in Sussex, possibly Eastbourne. Absolutely rocking. Not quite sure how they got on the bill at the folk festival, but pleased they did.

And tonight I relived my youth by seeing Tom Robinson and his current band celebrate 35 years(!) since the release of Power in The Darkness by playing it, in order, at The Tabernacle, Notting Hill. He's aged (as have we all), but it was just what I needed. I did the "working out what track is next" bit, as the previous one came to an end, by means of sub conscious memory branes and audio cues. Of course this was harder when they got to the end of side 1, but I guessed "The Winter of 79" opened side 2.  (Younger readers might not know, but back then, one had to turn a record over). Anyhoo, Tom's voice just about lasted, with TV Smith doing guest vocals on the title track, and  Adam Philips getting all Danny Kustow on the guitar.

I bought a T shirt, and a stencil. When I got home I found my album still had the original stencil in it, used.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #322 on: 04 July, 2013, 11:58:17 pm »
Massive Attack v Adam Curtis at Mayfield Depot as part of the Manchester International Festival (sadly it only abbreviates to MIF).

That's two hours of my life I shan't get back.
Sixth form debating society downloads some stuff from Wiki and Youtube and then borrows a projector and hi-fi.
Job done.
A criminal waste of Liz Frazer.

I also wonder if the levels of dust off the floor would be allowed in a work-place.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #323 on: 05 July, 2013, 01:16:08 am »
Manchester International Liz Frazer
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #324 on: 05 July, 2013, 11:11:51 am »
Last night. Bristol Colston Hall 2. Bristol Afro-beat project supporting. They were a really excellent, tight 10 piece brass heavy band that did exactly what they said in their name.
Then, my favourite band of the moment, Snarky Puppy. I  guess Hall 2 holds about 250ish and it was full. Tickets were a tenner. This was a very special night, kicking off a 30 date European tour. The sound in Colston Hall 2 was immense and it puts to shame the muddy, frequency eating harmonics of the main hall. They're off doing some festivals now, notably Latitude, Love Supreme, Moseley Park Jazz thing and the Edinburgh Jazz Festival, but all you hipsters from That London can catch them on the 24th of this month at the Macbeth in Hoxton - but it'll cost you more than a tenner. You also won't look out of place in your hipster get up - they seem very popular with young folk.

Here's one of their choons, 'Minjor'.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JICdTKQ5jOU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JICdTKQ5jOU&rel=1</a>
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.