Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 232537 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #350 on: 27 September, 2013, 07:41:06 am »
I have no doubt that a fuller review will appear in due course ...

Who, me? Go on then :)

I managed to fall asleep in the car on the way to Leeds - it's been one of Those Weeks, I guess.  Hope I didn't snore too loudly.  Woke up as Interzen was parking in Leeds city centre, and needed that coffee from the station before we jumped on the somewhat full train for the short hop out to Burley Park prior to the quick hipster-hair-spotting walk to the venue.

Got there and had a quick natter with everyone's favourite promoter, Joe of PPY.  I told him he was a fool for missing Krystle, That Deano asked about tonight's support.  "Some noise," he said it would be, "but good noise!"

We found some prime seats near the back with good sightlines over the tall people with their hipster hair and beer was purchased.  First support was the (strictly OK) crew from Wakefield.  A lead singer who clearly thought he was much, much prettier than he actually was.  That kind of Simone Felice-esque posturing works when, like Felice, one is really extremely pretty or exceptionally talented or, ideally, both.  Sadly Mr I'm The Lead Singer In The Band From Wakefield was neither.  Muddy vocals that I couldn't make out a word of too.  The rest of them sounded OK and personally I was fairly entertained by the contrast in visual performance style between the frenetic energy of stripey-topped guitar chap and near-catatonic bassist.  Turns out that Deano has seen them before - he said that it was a shame that stipey-guitar man had cut off his hair.  I believe he may have told him so during a between-sets fag break too.  And mentioned that they should get a better singer...

Next we had some gang who didn't bother to tell us their name.  Female vocalist/bassist.  Silly instrument swappery.  I should probably like them then.  As I said a couple of times... at least they weren't Snow Apple.  Couldn't make out a word she sang either, although I am informed that was no great loss, which mildly concerned me in case we were going to have sound issues with the headliners...

Then the Wave Pictures themselves.  I was in the loos when they took to the stage.  Through two doors and over the sound of hand driers and decrepit plumbing I could actually tell what he was singing!  A bassist with quality facial hair and an expression of permanent wry amusement who clearly understands, unlike the first support chap, the difference between "calm and solid" and "unmoving and stolid".  It helps when you hit all the right notes in all the right places and are in a line up with crisp clean sound such that even an ignoramus like me can't fail to appreciate the balance and play between you all.  A lead singer who can really sing AND play his guitar... and the delightful Johnny  on drums.  With bonus added cowbells.  There were a couple of irritatingly talky women behind us, but a chap in the audience turned and "shh'd" them and then, halfway through a number that he was clearly familiar with, walked over and tapped one on the arm to repeat the request just before the quiet bit.  Deano pointed out an epic hipster bag.  I noted that it appeared to belong to Deano's tame hipster from Durham who we got talking to at the York gigs, an identification that was confirmed absolutely when he started to dance - unforgettable moves.  A fabulous set with some tracks I recognised from last time and some stuff I hadn't heard, some big noise and some quiet numbers that brought the room as near to silence as the bar clatter and air con allows.  A heckle about requests led to a flippant request for jager shots from the lead singer which started an apparently unending supply of the same to the stage from various corners of the venue and, apparently, his first ever jagerbomb.  He told us he would now have to start every day with one of those.  A couple of tracks featuring Johnny singing whilst drumming, and the one I'd been waiting for when, as Dave-the-singer said "Johnny comes to the front and does one of his heart-breaking performances of a song I wrote about a girlfriend".  I love the fact that the three of them have such completely different and distinct voices.  Johnny's singing is indeed capable of being heart-breaking.  But in a very good way.  And with a proper accent.

They were still going strong when we realised that we had to leave or miss our train.  An exchange of shrugs and another trip to the bar.  The tame hipster and his mate got into a bit of a dance off with the talky women from earlier.  It appears that dancing with your heart and soul whilst knowing all the words to the songs of what is clearly one's Favourite Band Ever, even combined with being a bit geeky and uncoordinated, trumps being pretty and dancing for the audience as the talky ones gave up and walked out.  Fools.  The last few tracks and the encore were completely worth missing that train to the city centre for we decided, as we nipped to the taxi office next door and booked a perfectly reasonably priced cab back to the car park.  Then York-wards, and again I hope I didn't snore too badly on the way...

Splendid night out.  Go see them.  They're bloody good.

essexian

« Reply #351 on: 27 September, 2013, 09:22:48 am »
The Primitives: The “Lovely” 25th anniversary tour. Wolverhampton Slade Rooms.

Another evening with Tracy Tracy, Paul, the really indie named Ralph and Tig as we celebrated the 25th Anniversary of the release of their classic album Lovely. Doesn’t time fly eh.

Untitled by essexian, on Flickr

As always the band were tight as a tight thing with additional tightness; while Tracy’s shoes seem to be getting higher and higher: soon she will be nearly 5 foot tall! Special mention should go to drummer Tig who certainly knows how to put on a show despite looking like someones Dad  ;D

If you are part of the “Southend Massive” and fancy a good night out tonight, get yourself down to Chinnery’s for the next gig of the tour….sadly, SWMBO won’t let me go….too much history there it seems ;-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #352 on: 28 September, 2013, 08:04:47 am »
65daysofstatic in Ghent

Support were a band called Sleep Makes Waves from Sydney. If you like Explosions in The Sky then give this lot a whirl. That was the best support act I've ever heard - in as much as they were properly mixed, the sound was good and they weren't turned up to distortion levels.
In fact the whole gig was like that, loud enough to make my ribs rattle but my tympanic membranes didn't feel like they were being liquidised.
I took ear plugs with me but never used them, although the Belgian youff did. I'd estimate 20% of the audience was wearing them.
65days were excellent, although from listening to their albums I was expecting a bit more electronic and a bit less guitar based shoegaze, but still they were very good.

Despite the venue being standing, everyone was very polite, I didn't feel the urge to punch, stab or otherwise maim anyone, which is unusual in these situations for me :)
The bar served real decent Belgian beer, a real treat to be able to have something worth drinking at a gig, in real glasses, young Belgians are so well behaved! Not a smash was heard, and all during the really deadly quiet parts of the set you could have heard a pin drop, unlike the usual neddish comments we'd get a home. The band remarked on how polite the 'student university town' audience were, I think they were rather shocked.
Anyway, I enjoyed the night in every way :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #353 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:15:40 pm »
Currently on a train back to Embra after seeing Rod Stewart at the Hydro. Most of the hits, great band, not too many off the new album, great backing singers, HOT LEGS = great night. Could only have been better if Ronnie Wood had turned up. Train from Hydro to Central full of pissed Weegies singing Baby Jane and the woahohohohoh of Do Ya Think I'm Sexy :-D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #354 on: 01 October, 2013, 09:05:45 am »
Can you see yourself in the photos?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24345954
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #355 on: 01 October, 2013, 10:42:21 am »
I can nearly see where we were.  :D

The Hydro itself seems - well, the sound was good, but the access seems a bit half-arsed. We were on the 2nd level, really high up. The escalators only take you to the first floor and the steps through the arena to the second floor are incredibly steep with no banisters - very difficult in the dark. They've had the sense to make the escalators reversible, so they were all going up on the way in and all going down afterwards. And we all got covered in cement dust, for some reason. I think it needed a clean before they let the public in (insert soapdodger jokes here).

My mum's a huge Rod fan and I've seen him a few times before with her. I much prefer rocker Rod to the crooner Rod of recent years and that's what we got last night - it was by far the best show I've ever seen him do, and my mum says it was the second best she's seen. He started with This Old Heart of Mine and he'd thrown his mike stand in the air in the first minute  ;D . He did more of his older stuff, then went off for a break and his daughter Ruby came on and did one of her own songs, saying her dad had gone off to fluff his hair up. I was surprised how good she was, she can really sing and the song wasn't bad. IT was quite funny though, cos mum and Mcbobb and I had been talking about how good it would be if Ronnie Wood turned up and played, and then Rod started to say "and here tonight as my special guest at no extra expense to you..." and we were so hoping it would be Ronnie, but it was Ruby.  :-\ Then Rod came back on and they did a duet and she went off. Then he brought his acoustic set on and did The First Cut is the Deepest, I Don't Want To Talk About it, etc then three tracks from the new album. Then the backing singers did Soul Man while he went off for a costume change. Then You're In My Heart, Maggie May, Sailing, HOT LEGS (while he kicked footballs into the crowd), and Do Ya Think I'm Sexy (that noise you just heard was the country shouting NO) for the encore. At the end of every song the screen behind him showed the cover of the album it had come from, but while he did Do Ya Think I'm Sexy the screen showed a cover of Rolling Stone with him on and the cover line of "I don't want to be singing Do Ya Think I'm Sexy when I'm 50 like a parody of myself."  ;D

He always has a really good band, and most of them have been with him long term, and I like that several of them are women. One of his saxophonists is a leggy blonde - she'd better watch herself - and his violinist/mandolin player is a woman and they've both been with him for years. He had a female percussionist last night too. When I've seen him before the backing singers have been tucked away behind mike stands, but last night they had hand-held mikes and they were dancing like the Ikettes. The guys looked like they'd walked straight out of 1967 in their sharp suits and shoes.

His voice seems to be getting a bit of its rasp back, which I like; I haven't been too keen on his smooth crooner style. And he did a really good show - just enough of the new album to let you know there is one, but nearly two hours of classic hits. Great band, great backing singers, great night.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #356 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:40:44 pm »
Oh, also, according to my mum, if, in the middle of Maggie May, Rod Stewart does a minute or so of sort of singing/chanting "Maggie... Maggie... Maggie," it is NOT appropriate to respond to each call of "Maggie" with "OUT."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #357 on: 02 October, 2013, 02:38:55 pm »
She's wrong ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #358 on: 02 October, 2013, 02:47:32 pm »
Dead wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #359 on: 03 October, 2013, 12:01:09 am »
The Grey Earls. As good as last time, despite being cramped into a dartboard.

My standout - their version of The Passenger. As far as I am concerned they could play that 15 times in a gig. Then again for an encore.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #360 on: 03 October, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »
Just back from seeing Robert Castellii's Boom Quartet at the Capstone.  Excellent gig, a pity the audience was so small

Video below is a slightly different lineup. Castelli is the drummer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2a2Afe53N9k&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2a2Afe53N9k&rel=1</a>
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #361 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:41:42 am »
A comedy gig. Bill Bailey in Blackburn. It's always the interaction between the audience and the comic that's interesting in Blackburn. Usually slightly provocative jokes about evolution and religion become charged with meanings about tolerance and Islam, so the response is wholly different from what they get in a college town.
There are whole subject areas you don't bring up if the person you're talking to is Moslem or a BNP supporter. Someone must have had a word at half time, as he then concentrated on the musical jokes. So the audience relaxed when they realised that Bill wouldn't be wandering towards comedy quicksands.
'Did anyone drive to the gig in a Prius?' was one line that fell flat. Yet Blackburn is ringed by windmills, so there were eco-jokes to be made.

Ruth

« Reply #362 on: 04 October, 2013, 11:54:13 pm »
A Winged Victory for the Sullen, at the Sage in Gateshead tonight.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_L5E8kgpIgA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_L5E8kgpIgA&rel=1</a>

Ambient stuff, five strings over a synthy open chord structure, one piece live only.  I love the album they released in 2011.  Got to the gig a bit late and feared I'd missed my favourite track, but they played it as the encore.  I hadn't heard any of the other stuff but I did enjoy it.  Dreamy, ethereal, beautiful, with the added power of real live musicians playing real music.  It was a shame the deeper synth tones resonated in the metal rails on the balcony  ::-)

I'm so glad I went.

« Reply #363 on: 05 October, 2013, 12:13:58 am »
Good to see you having fun, Ruthie - how did the house-warming/neighbour alienation turn out?!

Ruth

« Reply #364 on: 05 October, 2013, 12:15:34 am »
It was fun, thanks Peter!  I don't think the neighbours were alienated at all, in the end - worried about nothing I reckon.

The food went down well, as did the beer, and I GOT PRESENTS!!!!

I like cooking for people :)

« Reply #365 on: 05 October, 2013, 12:17:20 am »
Great stuff - good luck with the job!

Ruth

« Reply #366 on: 05 October, 2013, 12:19:44 am »
Thanks Peter  :-*

CrinklyLion

« Reply #367 on: 06 October, 2013, 08:04:15 pm »
Laura Cantrell, the Little Theatre in Gateshead.  SmallestCub is quite jealous, but has forgiven me because I told him that she didn't sing his favourite - Big Wheel.

Absolutely adorable venue.  Got knobbled by the promoter beforehand who was robbing smokes for the guitarist who, I learnt, doesn't like a certain square pizza with a particular cheese on.  Support was someone-or-another Smith who I wanted to like but didn't really.  Laura Cantrell was superb, as was the thieving guitarist.  A handful of old favourites, a generous sprinkling of gems from her new album, and a few (apparently) well known covers.  I realised once more the depths of my ignorance as I didn't have a clue about the covers or any of the famous people she told tales of (apart from her gossiping about Amy Rigby and Wreckless Eric, which I knew about cos I went to see them play in a Gateshead pub) or her tales from the Grand Ole Opry or any of that stuff.  I have no idea or insight into where she fits into the country hall of fame, I just know that every single note she sang sounded amazing and I could have listened to her for hours :)

« Reply #368 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:18:05 pm »
On Friday & Saturday, I saw two Rolling Stones tribute acts on consecutive nights.

Friday - Counterfeit Stones - Their show is very much a piss-take of the Rolling Stones, but at least maps the band through the years. Venue was a village hall type with chairs and tables. The audience of mostly 60-70 yr old, 'blue rinse' crowd seemed a bit strange, but at least they enjoyed the show. The 'Charlie Watts-a-like' was convincing, as was 'Bill Hymen' on bass. They used humourous projected video clips of the band between the various costume changes through the eras of the Rolling Stones.  The Counterfeit Stones absolutely 'nailed' Sympathy for the Devil.  :thumbsup:

Saturday - The Stones - The Stones singer certainly had all the moves like Jagger - he truly acted the part with just the right amount of 'tongue in cheek' and had a great rapport with the audience. His voice was a bit nasal - so much that it was not possible to make out the words during some songs. Maybe he had a cold, maybe it was the, overly revealing, tight trousers that were the problem. The band were better musicians than the Counterfeit Stones, but the sound quality left a bit to be desired - it might have been the accoustics of the venue, a small theatre. The Stones played more songs and, as well as interacting more with the audience, at the end of the gig, rushed out to the door to shake hands and thank all the audience personally.  :D

So, some plusses and minuses for both bands. I think both would have been better in the right venue - an outdoor stage or a hall with an open floor for people to bob along.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #369 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »
Laura Cantrell, the Little Theatre in Gateshead.  SmallestCub is quite jealous, but has forgiven me because I told him that she didn't sing his favourite - Big Wheel.

Absolutely adorable venue.  Got knobbled by the promoter beforehand who was robbing smokes for the guitarist who, I learnt, doesn't like a certain square pizza with a particular cheese on.  Support was someone-or-another Smith who I wanted to like but didn't really.  Laura Cantrell was superb, as was the thieving guitarist.  A handful of old favourites, a generous sprinkling of gems from her new album, and a few (apparently) well known covers.  I realised once more the depths of my ignorance as I didn't have a clue about the covers or any of the famous people she told tales of (apart from her gossiping about Amy Rigby and Wreckless Eric, which I knew about cos I went to see them play in a Gateshead pub) or her tales from the Grand Ole Opry or any of that stuff.  I have no idea or insight into where she fits into the country hall of fame, I just know that every single note she sang sounded amazing and I could have listened to her for hours :)

Aye, it was a good venue.

The support was a bit shonky. Darden Smith, I think he was called, and his mildly unusual name was about the most interesting thing about him. His songs were spectacularly dull, which was only placed into contrast by the quite-entertaining banter between songs. I drifted off into speculation about a situation where his songs would be worth listening to, and found myself imagining a cover of one of his songs by a southern rock band, coming through on a crackly AM band while touring the southern US in a battered old pickup. I think you'll agree, that's quite niche, and I was acutely aware that no drinks were allowed in the auditorium, so I took the opportunity to beat the rush to the bar.

The night's celebrity, Paul Smith from out of Maximo Park, was already there, and I would not have recognised him if the guitarist's gofer hadn't pointed him out earlier. It was pretty easy to spot him and his girlfriend - apart from me and CL, they were probably the only people in the venue under 50 who weren't there with their parents. I had him guard CL's beer while I nipped out for a smoko.

I hadn't had chance to see Laura Cantrell before - I was skint when I first listened to her, and she hasn't toured for eight years.  So I wasn't sure what to expect, but she was amazing. There was a Gillian Welch and David Rawlings vibe about the set-up, bloke on guitar and woman on vocals and rhythm guitar who clearly takes the lead, but without the bluegrass homeliness. Laura's references are either "classic" country, or slightly twee indie. I'm familiar with the latter (Camera Obscura, and the winderfully-monikered Franklin Bruno, who I was amazed to learn is an actual person called Franklin Bruno and not a band with a jokey reference to the boxer), not a fan of the former, but she manages to take all the good bits from her country references, strip it down and add a bit of modern bite with the lyrics, a hint of knowingness. As well as the slight indie leanings.  She also has the same schtick as someone like Rich Hall, which is to be able to explain something thoroughly American to a British audience.

Mark, the guitarist, was good, too - he filled in the gaps in sound which weren't being taken by Laura's voice, and knew his place. He was far better on stage than in person, though thanks to him I now know that, for example, the Monsanto plant in St Louis is next to the dog food factory. I did tell him to get to work at one point, but he was pretty relaxed about that - I saw him chatting to some other random punters inside.

He was relaxed with good reason, as the sound was excellent. Clean and crisp and made the best of Laura's voice. I was never concerned that drinks weren't allowed into the auditorium, it was as good as that.

A quick google also tells me that Laura Cantrell's Radio Thrift Shops on New York's WFMU have been archived on the internet. Despite being a wonderful live performer, she clearly has other careers going alongside, which helps to explain her lack of relentless touring schedules. I'll forgive her.

http://wfmu.org/playlists/RT

[I wrote a much better review, but most of it was lost when I clicked on one of those links, and it decided to close my browser, as it's been that long since I used RealPlayer]

« Reply #370 on: 09 October, 2013, 09:40:42 pm »
Snarky Puppy at Kytopia Studios in Utrecht on monday night. Live recording session. Comfy sofas, everyone wearing cans like a silent disco. LOADS of hospitality at the aftershow and had really good chats with guys in the band. When the DVD/CD is released I'll pimp the tracks with me in shamelessly  ;D
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

« Reply #371 on: 13 October, 2013, 01:02:26 am »
The Proclaimers at the Hydro in Glasgow - flip me, that's a HUGE venue! 16,000 capacity, and I reckon there must have been 12,000 there.

Pretty bloody good, actually. All the favourites, but no real interaction with the audience - a massive singalong!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #372 on: 18 October, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »
Half Man Half Biscuit at the O2 Academy in Brum. The band were great, but the venue didn't suit them and it never really got going. I didn't take the lilac Harry Quinn and the first song was A Lilac Harry Quinn. Last time I took it and they didn't play it. There's depth.

Why does the O2 Academy deem it necessary to show videos/ads on screens in the room while a gig is going?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #373 on: 18 October, 2013, 04:34:29 pm »
This one

http://www.thebasementyork.co.uk/event/1890/

I missed the first two support acts, due to a phone call with my ex-MiCL.  Got there, got my hand stamped by everybody's-favourite-promoter-Joe who was very cheerful as the night's entertainment was just about sold out and he had just had a phone call and got a possible date lined up for one of his favourite acts in one of his favourite venues.  Since I share his views about both the band and the venue this also made me quite cheerful.  And he was cheerful that he volunteered to put me on the guest list when I worked out that I'd likely need get a sitter for the night in question.

I was in time for Chris Otepka, and very glad of it I was too.  Bought a drink, found a seat off to the side near the green room, worked out roughly what percentage of the crowd I recognised - including a parent from the SmallestCub's school playground, a Random Sam who wasn't a supporting artist tonight, a regular from the pub I worked in 20 years ago, and the two chaps I sat with and talked to at Krystle Warren.   Didn't spot any Blueprints.  Strange.  Worked out a couple of songs in that the chap sat in front of me and singing along was the headliner and the mildly irritatingly talky chap lounging on the floor was probably one of the unheard support acts.  Random Sam's female friend very clearly shushed the extremely talky people on the stairs... I approved, and what's more it worked. 

I liked both Mr Otepka and Eef ("like beef without the B!") a lot.  Would see again.  I quite like going to see a complete random pick without having even listened to them first.  I'd never heard of them or the bands they were in, had very little clue what to expect, came away smiling and have been spotifying 'em both all day.

Given that I nearly bailed at the last minute and went to bed instead, I'll count that as a win all round.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #374 on: 20 October, 2013, 10:43:11 am »
The Charley Farley Sunday Four in a teeny pub in Dorking. Must have been 60 people in the audience, and it was packed.  Apparently most songs we hear today were written by Ma Farley back in the 1920s, and have been stolen by their current performers. The CFS4 perform the songs as they were written. Honest.  Big skiffly/ska/blues/rock thing. Bloody fantastic evening.  And I bought two CDs for a tenner.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)