Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 232113 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1550 on: 16 September, 2023, 05:13:38 pm »
Rosalie Cunningham at the Joiners, Southampton.  The band is really clicking together at the moment.  Claudia Gonzalez Diaz is a great addition on bass/backing vocals/flute - "we can't be a prog band without a flute solo"  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1551 on: 16 September, 2023, 08:29:08 pm »
Not exactly a gig but there was lots of music and singing - saw Evita at The Minack Theatre in Cornwall last week - matinee performance in bright sunshine, sea in the background - just glorious.

« Reply #1552 on: 16 September, 2023, 09:33:48 pm »
I was once fishing off the rocks beneath the Minack.  At one point I landed a sizeable sea bass, accompanied by thunderous applause from the gods above.  I think it was for the production on stage, though.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1553 on: 29 September, 2023, 10:17:14 am »

CAT! by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

This Maneki neko sits atop Martin Turner’s amp and beckons throughout the set.  Chaps in fine form and Professor Larrington says she'd happily see them again.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1554 on: 01 October, 2023, 12:10:42 pm »
Passamezzo in the Hall here.
Music from the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, in a building of the same era. Rather wonderful.

We came home with three music books and a CD, which probably says something.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #1555 on: 01 October, 2023, 12:45:39 pm »
Passamezzo in the Hall here.
Music from the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, in a building of the same era. Rather wonderful.

We came home with three music books and a CD, which probably says something.

FTFY

P.S. Looks good  :) 8)

« Reply #1556 on: 01 October, 2023, 01:03:59 pm »
Thanks for the fix. Can't see why the links are going wrong, they seem to be correct in the editor, but get broken when posting.
Might be MacOS Sonoma being weird, but that is going to be most annoying if it is the case.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1557 on: 01 October, 2023, 07:53:15 pm »
ABBA Voyage - an 18th birthday treat for my daughter.

Stunning use of technology and an arena full of energy made it memorable. Worth £77? Depends how big a fan you are. Little Ms CAMRAMan loved it.

Half Man Half Biscuit await on Friday. Much more my cup of tea at <1/3  of the price.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1558 on: 08 October, 2023, 12:38:03 pm »
The Retired Rev Richard Coles, who took us through a potted history, via Kettering, The Communards and Finedon.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1559 on: 08 October, 2023, 12:46:29 pm »
Matthew Halsall.  Trippy floaty ambient jazz trumpet

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1560 on: 09 October, 2023, 07:49:58 pm »
A double bill on Saturday.

First. Prog Rockers: The Listening Device. By a quirk of fate I saw them earlier in the summer, with the lead singer on his home territory.

Then Mike Artistik, a stalwart of Glastonbury and chaotic and fun.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #1561 on: 10 October, 2023, 08:11:15 pm »
The Make Up. Brilliant. Music, suits and a front man still fearlessly crowd-walking. And reuniting with two of my longest gig-friends.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1562 on: 12 October, 2023, 12:30:07 am »
Open Mike Night.

Always good value for money.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1563 on: 12 October, 2023, 05:36:18 pm »
Picture a Day Like This.  George Benjamin's new chamber opera.  I really enjoyed it, wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but the way he tells, amplifies, and augments a libretto with his orchestration is unparalleled, and I'd go and see it again just for that.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1564 on: 13 October, 2023, 12:23:48 pm »
Well, another Open Mike Night in another town.

Some Drum and Bass

I was wandering round, when I realised the bass player was no longer standing where he had been, the bass had become a bit simplistic and the drums weren't as intricate, either...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1565 on: 13 October, 2023, 12:47:07 pm »
Many years ago I saw Swiss* metl mayhem merchants Krokus at the Lyceum in London Town Devine.  Stop laughing at the back.  As was the norm in those days, there was a drum solo.  As was not the norm, bassist Chris von Rohr joined in using a separate rack on tom-toms.

* Though singer Marc Storace was, and I think still is, Maltese

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1566 on: 13 October, 2023, 12:50:34 pm »
Many years ago I saw Swiss* metl mayhem merchants Krokus at the Lyceum in London Town Devine.  Stop laughing at the back.  As was the norm in those days, there was a drum solo.  As was not the norm, bassist Chris von Rohr joined in using a separate rack on tom-toms.

* Though singer Marc Storace was, and I think still is, Maltese

Beast in Black are described as a Finnish-Hungarian band with a Greek singer.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #1567 on: 16 October, 2023, 02:04:32 pm »
S Club at the Utilita in Sheffield. Everything you could want from a reunion gig - all the very best old songs, plenty of nostalgia improved with modern tech - the quality of the big screen pictures was outstanding, but that may be showing how long since I last went to a gig with a big screen. Only went to look after my daughter. Mind you, she's approaching 30 now.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #1568 on: 18 October, 2023, 10:26:49 pm »
A gig in the broadest sense: a sidetracked magazine creators tour event. I had little idea of who or what would be there, but “in person” were Cal Major and Jenny Tough. And some films. And quite a lot of thoughtful talk of metal health and the environment, rather than adrenaline and woo go me. Which was nice. I’d recommend it, if they’re coming your way.

« Reply #1569 on: 18 October, 2023, 11:26:43 pm »
Honeymoan at the Lexington.  Hi energy indie rock quartet originating from South Africa.  There was a 5-minute interlude when the guitarist broke a string & had to go off stage - no spare guitar which seemed quite odd even for low-budget touring.  Good fun though.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1570 on: 19 October, 2023, 12:14:01 am »
A gig in the broadest sense: a sidetracked magazine creators tour event. I had little idea of who or what would be there, but “in person” were Cal Major and Jenny Tough. And some films. And quite a lot of thoughtful talk of metal health and the environment, rather than adrenaline and woo go me. Which was nice. I’d recommend it, if they’re coming your way.

Seen one of Cal Major's films, at an event. Was disappointed she wasn't there.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #1571 on: 19 October, 2023, 10:25:28 am »
S Club at the Utilita in Sheffield. Everything you could want from a reunion gig - all the very best old songs, plenty of nostalgia improved with modern tech - the quality of the big screen pictures was outstanding, but that may be showing how long since I last went to a gig with a big screen. Only went to look after my daughter. Mind you, she's approaching 30 now.
Everything you could want from a reunion gig... including a hefty dose of covid from mixing with the hoi polloi
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #1572 on: 19 October, 2023, 10:40:36 am »
UK Subs at the 100 Club. It was their final night of touring before retiring (apparently they'll be doing festivals and one-off gigs for a while but no more touring). A friend is the BiL of the bassist so we managed to get on the guest list.

I've seen them a few times over the years but this was the best one for me as they were pretty tight plus amazing energy shown by Charlie Harper, given he's 79.

felstedrider

« Reply #1573 on: 19 October, 2023, 12:41:04 pm »
Deacon Blue in Hull 2 weekends ago.   Glorious.

Rock Orchestra in Brentwood Tuesday night.   Really fun night but the venue was not up to scratch.

Seeing my Sisters band in Lincoln Friday night.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1574 on: 22 October, 2023, 11:14:04 am »
Larkin Poe and The Sheepdogs at the Roundhouse last night.  The latter are five hairy Canadians who have emerged from a wormhole in the space-time continuum.  The other end is in Atlanta GA in 1973.  They were æxcellent.  The latter are the Lovell sisters, who actually are from Georgia, but not the one of fifty years ago coz they ent that old.  This Unit's enjoyment of the set was tempered by:
  • The bass drum being FAR too loud, and
  • The side-effects of yesterday's plague booster which saw me go home early, an hour into their set
Bah!