Author Topic: Help with frame related questions  (Read 290247 times)

Re: Help with frame related questions
« Reply #500 on: 16 November, 2022, 10:36:47 am »
Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Its made it as far as the west end of Newcastle so I'm happy to keep in in the North East.

« Reply #501 on: 11 May, 2023, 07:37:19 pm »

Trying very hard to not buy this... Shed any light on this Dave?

« Reply #502 on: 13 May, 2023, 12:42:57 pm »
Sorry, without a frame number and size it is just another frame. If you can get said details I can help with  date and other limited details. I might have the original order form but unlikely as most of them were lost in a flood when we moved from Wallsend
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

« Reply #503 on: 13 May, 2023, 01:20:43 pm »
Fair. I was just looking for any clue as to what it was/when it was from. I can make out Machine on the top tube and that's about it. Will update if I buy it. Cheers.

« Reply #504 on: 26 May, 2023, 11:10:02 am »
is it possible to change the steerer tube on some forks from 1 inch to 1 1/8 inch? or is that not good for the forks' longevity? Saw some 853 touring forks that I was thinking of maybe using on a bike frame. thanks

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #505 on: 26 May, 2023, 11:33:01 am »
Impossible.  You'd need a new crown with a 1 1/8" steerer socket, so you'd be rebuilding the entire fork.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #506 on: 26 May, 2023, 04:07:16 pm »
Ok thank you for telling. Learnt something new, though now I look at it, it is simple

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #507 on: 27 May, 2023, 12:18:15 pm »
There are reducing rings that allow you to use a 1" fork in a 1 1/8" head tube but there's little point; a 1 1/8" fork is stiffer where it matters.  Most 1 1/8" forks are threadless and most 1" forks are threaded, just to throw in an extra complication.

Quill stems look nice, and most of my bikes have them, but a threadless setup is technically much better and you can really feel the extra stiffness.  A quill stem is only attached at its very bottom and moves a lot during riding.  You can tell this from the way a freshly fitted quill stem pumps grease out of the headset top nut!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #508 on: 01 June, 2023, 12:28:17 pm »
Any idea of the frame manufacturer that puts the serial number on the seat post part of the frame and the number start with NG.

The frame has a Raleigh head badge.

EDIT: It is a nottingham built 1974 raleigh. From here https://www.jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html

« Reply #509 on: 24 June, 2023, 02:53:50 pm »
Does anyone know about the Joe Waugh M Steel bicycle frame numbering?

Bought this and people have mentioned that it looks very like an M steel build bike.

The frame number starts with mf, so is it an M steel bike, is there anyway I can tell?

« Reply #510 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:28:40 pm »
Hola, me llamo David, soy de España y tengo un cuadro JOE WAUGH y busco información,
pero nunca he usado un foro y no sé cómo poner fotos El número de cuadro es MS379
Gracias!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #511 on: 21 January, 2024, 04:24:35 pm »
Hj Dave , are you still there?  Am I right in thinking you built Pearson frames?  If so I have one, 22" 531 ST , 120 spacing at the rear, cantilevers, no upper rack mounts, no fork mounts, I'm thinking late 70's.Untitled by mark tilley, on Flickr
by mark tilley, on Flickr

I think that says 1713
The cantilever bosses appear to be cubes rather than post where they attached. One of yours?