Author Topic: Windows 10 was: Re: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 1760 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Windows 10 was: Re: You know you're middle aged when
« on: 12 October, 2019, 09:26:05 pm »
Quote from: road-runner
Windows 10 does not shut down when you choose shut down; instead it hibernates.
All the better to spy on you my dearie.  Oh. Sorry. Wrong fairy tale. :)

Quote from: ian
Weight it down and drop it in the Mariana Trench.
Correct, but do remember to drive a stake through its CPU as well.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Windows 10 was: Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2019, 01:40:43 am »
Windows 10 has done stupid things like splitting the shut down from the sleep/switch users commands which all used to be under the same thing. Confuses colleagues all the time and took me ages to remember.

I can't do anything without googling "how do i..."

I want to degrade to Windows 7 and stay there.

I live in Linux, the world is a less screamy place that way.

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:39:26 am »
So how do you get it to shut down completely?

Do what we did in the early days of computing and physically turn it off. 

Desktop pcs in the eighties and early nineties tended to have a red switch at the ba k on one side which was a commonly used power switch.  A common 'quip' by IT Support was  "Have you done a BRS interrupt?". 

Laptops of course lack this useful facility.

« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:32:21 am »
What I knew as “the engineers reset”.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2019, 03:49:05 pm »
Windows 10 has done stupid things like splitting the shut down from the sleep/switch users commands which all used to be under the same thing. Confuses colleagues all the time and took me ages to remember.

Unless the machine is under the auspices of the kind of Thought Police who forbid the installation of unapproved software, the aforementioned Classic Shell puts
  • Switch user
  • Lock
  • Sleep
  • Hibernate
  • Restart
  • Shutdown
back under "Shut Down" on the Start menu.

But I want to find the person who decided that splitting Stuffs at random between Settings and Control Panel was a good idea, and kill them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:45:12 am »
So how do you get it to shut down completely?

Do what we did in the early days of computing and physically turn it off. 

Desktop pcs in the eighties and early nineties tended to have a red switch at the ba k on one side which was a commonly used power switch.  A common 'quip' by IT Support was  "Have you done a BRS interrupt?". 

Laptops of course lack this useful facility.

Mine has it by proxy. The battery is knackered so if you pull the power chord it properly powers off about 2 seconds later :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2019, 12:55:42 pm »
I’m having a forgetful day. So far, forgot to put a watch on, forgot the card to pick a package up from the post office & have just realised I don’t have my Costco card, so can’t go food shopping tonight .
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2019, 10:03:38 pm »
You can shut down (or put to sleep) an iMac with a combination of keyboard presses that I can only remember if I don't try to remember them. The moment I think about the keys, I can't remember precisely which and I have, horror of horrors, have to click the Apple menu which sensibly lists sleep, restart, and shutdown. Of course, with a Macbook, you just close the lid.

« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2019, 09:35:19 am »
Er, no, I think you'll find it shuts down. Unless you have done something odd with the user settings.

My laptop definitely shuts down if I select Shut Down. Closes all apps, shuts down the OS. Turning it on again does a full boot.

The Hibernate option hibernates.

Closing the lid puts it into sleep mode.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2019, 10:09:46 am »
What shutdown does not do, is to close the file system right down.

If you "shutdown" the computer, and then try and mount the disk in another Windows machine, the disk usually end up corrupted.  Linux (Ubuntu is what I mean, I don't know about other favours) is better in that it won't mount the disk.   You can stop this behaviour by turning off Fast Start.  Or you can shut it down from the command line.  Counter intuitively, Restart does actually shut the file system down.

« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:05:22 am »
I have unfortunately lost the details, but we had similar observations with a network problem on Windows 10.  Once in a bad state, Shutdown and start up again made no difference.  Whereas Restart fixed every time. 

I'm not sure it's quite as simple as shutting down vs hibernating.  I suspect it is more a case of various subsystems which can either reload cached state for faster startup, or fully reset when told to.

To be fair, it does start faster.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:53:58 am »
Sadly the windows machine in question is owned by my work and I have no admin privs - which I hate.

I don't use my own Windows install enough to care - mainly when I need TWO screens and proper Word/Acrobat-Pro...

« Reply #12 on: 15 October, 2019, 01:22:26 pm »
Er, no, I think you'll find it shuts down.

Perhaps you should explain that to Chris Hoffman, author of the article Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does).
Now I've read that article, you are still wrong.

Shut down does a shutdown. It doesn't hibernate. It shuts down the computer, saving the system state. That is restored on startup. Just the kernel system state.

That isn't the same as a hibernation.

The disk problem that DaveJ observed is Windows crappy disk management. It has been around forever. Windows 'tolerates' a disk not being unmounted, which can also lead to a disk being locked. Linux enforces mounting and unmounting.
This is one of the reasons why you should *always* manually 'eject' a USB memory stick before removing it, rather than just pulling it out. Ditto for any external hard drive.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #13 on: 15 October, 2019, 02:35:35 pm »
I haven't done Windows for a bazillion years, but do you still shut it down by clicking 'start'?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 15 October, 2019, 04:00:21 pm »
I haven't done Windows for a bazillion years, but do you still shut it down by clicking 'start'?

IIRC it's "Windows" followed by ⏻[1]

[1] The IEC 60417-5009 'standby' power symbol

« Reply #15 on: 15 October, 2019, 04:07:27 pm »
Er, no, I think you'll find it shuts down. Unless you have done something odd with the user settings.

My laptop definitely shuts down if I select Shut Down. Closes all apps, shuts down the OS. Turning it on again does a full boot.

Or it is like my work laptop, hit shutdown button close lid

next morning open lid and find that laptop didn't actually shut down but rather closing the lid hibernated the system part way through the shutdown.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:11:18 pm »
Quote from: matthew
....next morning open lid and find that laptop didn't actually shut down but rather closing the lid hibernated the system part way through the shutdown.
I don't know whether to be appalled or impressed by that. Bit of both perhaps?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:26:22 pm »

next morning open lid and find that laptop didn't actually shut down but rather closing the lid hibernated the system part way through the shutdown.
If yours is like mine (but it probably isn't) there's a setting you can change somewhere to decide what it does when you shut the lid. Whatever you choose seems to take precedence over the shutdown button.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:56:17 pm »

If yours is like mine (but it probably isn't) there's a setting you can change somewhere to decide what it does when you shut the lid. Whatever you choose seems to take precedence over the shutdown button.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings

« Reply #19 on: 19 October, 2019, 04:01:07 pm »
Er, no, I think you'll find it shuts down.

Perhaps you should explain that to Chris Hoffman, author of the article Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does).
Now I've read that article, you are still wrong.

Shut down does a shutdown. It doesn't hibernate. It shuts down the computer, saving the system state. That is restored on startup. Just the kernel system state.

That isn't the same as a hibernation.

The disk problem that DaveJ observed is Windows crappy disk management. It has been around forever. Windows 'tolerates' a disk not being unmounted, which can also lead to a disk being locked. Linux enforces mounting and unmounting.
This is one of the reasons why you should *always* manually 'eject' a USB memory stick before removing it, rather than just pulling it out. Ditto for any external hard drive.

It seems Win 10 shut down isn't actually shut down but is a modified hibernate, ie it closes your open files and programs then hibernates.

Restart does actually shut down then it restarts. I haven't used Win 10 but it seems there are settings to change what "shut down" does.