Author Topic: I sold my fujin - end of an era for me.  (Read 4728 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: I sold my fujin - end of an era for me.
« Reply #25 on: 19 July, 2020, 11:43:41 am »
I've done a couple of 200km rides on my Baron (similar geometry, a bit more sturdy).  My take on it is that it's not the best tool for the job - especially in wet weather - but it's still a much better one than any kind of upright bicycle.  Low-racers are hard to beat for aerodynamics, but big wheels and a slightly more neutral seat angle would appear to be the way to go for audax riding.  (I also found the wrist position for tiller steering to be a minor issue after a few hours - in order to clear my legs and chest for steering, my wrists aren't straight like with USS.  Possibly fixable with different shaped bars.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 19 July, 2020, 09:58:24 pm »
Tigerrr, didn't your Fujin break during the Severn Across in 2007?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #27 on: 20 July, 2020, 06:41:50 am »
I've done a couple of 200km rides on my Baron (similar geometry, a bit more sturdy).  My take on it is that it's not the best tool for the job - especially in wet weather - but it's still a much better one than any kind of upright bicycle.  Low-racers are hard to beat for aerodynamics, but big wheels and a slightly more neutral seat angle would appear to be the way to go for audax riding.  (I also found the wrist position for tiller steering to be a minor issue after a few hours - in order to clear my legs and chest for steering, my wrists aren't straight like with USS.  Possibly fixable with different shaped bars.)

100% agree, the M5, rocket like downhill and in a straight line was too much hard work on twisty stuff and in traffic. There's no way I could have toured it like the Cruzbike. The ICE B2 could have done, but was heavier again. Of all my bents that's the one I would buy again as my utility bike.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #28 on: 20 July, 2020, 07:24:14 am »
I did the Dorset coast 200 on my first recumbent which was a rans rocket bought from comfort cycles of Bristol. I got round with a hour to spare and was able to climb every hill (just). Much more comfortable than the upright. A few months later I got a trice but felt that I was to slow on it to do audex .to be fair I was never a good audex rider and never did more than 200km  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:41:45 am »

100% agree, the M5, rocket like downhill and in a straight line was too much hard work on twisty stuff and in traffic. There's no way I could have toured it like the Cruzbike. The ICE B2 could have done, but was heavier again. Of all my bents that's the one I would buy again as my utility bike.

I should add that I've done a few 200+km rides on my Streetmachine, and it has distinct advantages compared to the low-racer in terms of being able to see where you're going, compatibility with uprights in a group and ability to cope with crap road surfaces.  Unfortunately it's at least 10kg too heavy, and fitted with tyres intended for mixed-surface touring, so it's only really a good idea if the alternative involves saddles.  (There's very little I can't climb on it, but it takes a while.)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #30 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:46:59 am »
Yes - I broke my first Fujin SL2 frame half way through the Severn Across, 2007?/9?.
That year I rode over a number of cattle grids in the cotswolds, and I think the one below the Somerset monument was the last straw. A few miles on the bike just folded up. It went back to Challenge and as a result the new frames were reinforced. The bike is on its third frame.
(I had to call my nearby brother out to rescue me - while he was there with his car, and my bike in pieces, another audaxer arrived, misread the 'incident', and asked menacingly if I needed 'help' - clearly ready to make the motorist suffer for his crime).
In a similar vein, the original wheels were ultra lightweight minimal blade spoked race jobs with ceramic bearings and all very fragile. I ended up with more robust pothole proof wheels.
But - as an audax ride - Fujin SL2 was a thing of wonder.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #31 on: 20 July, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies and the advice. I've been in touch with Roy - his is a lovely machine and I remain exceedingly tempted. I will probably go and look at it this week.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #32 on: 20 July, 2020, 05:41:28 pm »
100% agree, the M5, rocket like downhill and in a straight line was too much hard work on twisty stuff and in traffic. There's no way I could have toured it like the Cruzbike.
Was it the "aggressive" recline and bar setup, the chain/heel/wheel interface or both?  It's interesting to compare views on this, as this guy went from Cruzbike to CHR
https://recumbent-cyclist.com/bikes/m5-carbon-high-racer/
(I know you didn't have the CHR but I thought you had the highracer - could be wrong of course)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #33 on: 20 July, 2020, 07:47:47 pm »
I have a CHR and have done a couple of 200km DIY's on it.
It is very twitchy at slow speeds and I've not really taken it up steep hills.
It's quick, December 200 was 7:30 moving time.
Will have to see how it goes on hilly rides as I'm hoping to do more agan this and next year.
My Bacchetta is a great bike for audax rides and the one I did most of them on in the past. Great slow speed handling and not too bad speed wise.
1st SR was done on an ICE trike, slowly!  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #34 on: 20 July, 2020, 08:12:46 pm »
100% agree, the M5, rocket like downhill and in a straight line was too much hard work on twisty stuff and in traffic. There's no way I could have toured it like the Cruzbike.
Was it the "aggressive" recline and bar setup, the chain/heel/wheel interface or both?  It's interesting to compare views on this, as this guy went from Cruzbike to CHR
https://recumbent-cyclist.com/bikes/m5-carbon-high-racer/
(I know you didn't have the CHR but I thought you had the highracer - could be wrong of course)

M5 M-Racer in my case, same design as CHR but Cr-Mo.  I'm not the tallest of riders, so with that reclined seat I needed a 26" front wheel to have a decent view of the road.  I solved the chain/wheel interface by having a high idler set up in the head tube area with a home-made chain guard to stop it eating the inside of my thigh.

The heel/wheel interface was still occaisionally a problem. 

Cruzbike S40 by contrast, 2 x 700C wheels, conventional length chain, all out of the way.  The front end is the rear end.

S40 vs M5
Looking over your shoulder is possible on the S40
Low speed handling is easier on the S40
Absolute speed probably a bit lower on the flat, M5 untouchable downhill
S40 - with a triple up front is like a triple on a road bike, in terms of chainring/cassette combinations. With the long chain on the M5, if being lazy you could use 2 x 11 fully
TRaction in the wet, uphill can be an issue on the S40 as the front wheel is not heavily laden

The S40 is more of a fast tourer than a racer, for a more even comparison I'd compare V20 and M5 (the number is the seat angle)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #35 on: 21 July, 2020, 02:33:33 pm »
Just back from looking at Roy MacDonald's SL2. It really is a beautiful machine, and will make a fantastic bargain for someone - it's virtually unridden and in immaculate condition. Not for me though, sadly - I'm a bit too big for it, don't think I'd get on with the tiller, and I'm also mindful of Kim's advice about wheels and seat angle for long rides. Pity - it's a great bike.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 21 July, 2020, 03:03:41 pm »
Any machine owned by Roy will be in showroom condition, if not better.  I was always slightly embarrassed to put my ratty old Kingcycle on the grid next to his ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #37 on: 21 July, 2020, 07:28:49 pm »
In the meantime I have had a long, helpful and informative chat with Kevin Dunseath and have made arrangements for a visit to D-Tek in the very near future. Which, as I live in Cambridge, I should have done months/years ago...!