Author Topic: Strangling Merlin  (Read 2167 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Strangling Merlin
« on: 03 June, 2021, 02:09:28 pm »
Spotify chucks prog rock my way on the regular. Right now, I've got Rick Wakeman's Merlin The Magician squirting through my headphones.

Is that the Strangler's bassist on there? I swear that's a bassline from something on The Raven. Nuclear Device, maybe.

Richard Newell says the google. No Stranglers performance according to Discogs.

Weird. Allowing for different production styles, it's a very similar sounding bass. Has my synaesthesia fooled, anyway.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Strangling Merlin
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2021, 09:13:12 pm »
Definitely not JJB, who was just starting out in The Stranglers around the same time as that album was recorded (74/75), but it is a lovely bit of bass. IMO one of Wakeman's few pieces that have stood the test of time.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2021, 02:24:51 pm »
I always remember seeing the video of the 'Arthur' show and remarking on the man playing a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch guitar. Not one neck, neither two, but THREE.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2021, 05:30:27 pm »
Three?  Pfft!  Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick would like a word:

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2021, 06:59:50 pm »
Gotta love a Hamer guitar.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2021, 11:29:25 am »
Spotify chucks prog rock my way on the regular. Right now, I've got Rick Wakeman's Merlin The Magician squirting through my headphones.

Is that the Strangler's bassist on there? I swear that's a bassline from something on The Raven. Nuclear Device, maybe.

Richard Newell says the google. No Stranglers performance according to Discogs.

Weird. Allowing for different production styles, it's a very similar sounding bass. Has my synaesthesia fooled, anyway.

Not Richard but Roger Newell.  He said in an interview that for his stint in The English Rock Ensemble he recorded Merlin using a Fender Precision, tuned down to A.  JJB was using a Precision as well in those days, as was, for example, Ray Shulman from Gentle Giant, and they all played with a pick.  Shulman's sound is more overdriven than Newell's, while JJB's was overdriven and played through speakers with ripped cones.

When Newell was to perform on the King Arthur album tour, Wakeman had Ian Waller of a very embryonic Wal Basses build something to out-do other bands who already used double necked instruments, Mike Rutherford in Genesis particularly.  Newell originally sketched out a triple necked bass – fretted, fretless and 8-string fretted – but he and Wal determined that would've been too heavy, so Newell opted for just a double necked bass.  But Wakeman thought that wasn't visual enough, so he suggested Wal put a guitar neck on the top.  Newell protested that he didn't play guitar on any of the band's other material, to which Wakeman retorted that he would write something.

There's a similarity in sound from that bass that may be down to Wal's use of (rather muddy sounding if you ask me) Fender Mustang pickups on the two bass necks. The Mustang p/us are split single coils in the same manner as P-bass p/us.

The irony in it all came later, when Wakeman wound down the band ('putting it on ice' perhaps, heh) and offered the Wal to Newell for a price, which Newell couldn't afford.  When Yes came to tour their "Going For The One" album, Wakeman lent the triple neck it to Chris Squire, who had recorded "Awaken" with regular, fretless and 8-string parts.  Squire converted the guitar neck to three-quarters of an 8-string and the show went on.  Because the Wal triple neck had by then become a famous instrument, and so associated with Squire, Wakeman eventually gave the bass to him.  Newell was apparently Not Happy about that!

My favourite part on the studio cut of Merlin is the Minimoog part (7'35" to 7'55") where Wakeman almost seamlessly switches between, I think, two instruments. The first is his usual lead sound, and the second a coarser sawtooth for the bassier part.  The switch to #2 happens at 7'38" and then back to #1 at 7'53".  Wakeman was no slouch at shifting the Mini's octave setting whilst playing, but I wonder if this is actually two studio takes on different instruments, fading from one to the other and back again.  If it was done on the fly, I am impressed.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2021, 07:08:56 pm »
Wow. Thank you for all of that. Fascinating stuff.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2021, 02:27:37 pm »

My favourite part on the studio cut of Merlin is the Minimoog part (7'35" to 7'55") where Wakeman almost seamlessly switches between, I think, two instruments. The first is his usual lead sound, and the second a coarser sawtooth for the bassier part. 

Always a good section for testing the bass response on your speakers!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2021, 11:13:24 am »
And the unexpected news is the passing of Roger Newell, last Friday.  :-[
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2021, 08:05:21 am »
Five? Pffft. Bill Bailey would like a word.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2021, 08:23:43 am »
Gotta love a Hutchins guitar...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2021, 08:28:20 am »
Hell of a lot of money to invest in just one gag.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2021, 10:17:45 am »
Hell of a lot of money to invest in just one gag.
Knowing BB, he can probably play the thing.
If you must have more than one neck, then per-as something with a bit of a more mellow tone

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.