Author Topic: Please Help Me With My PC  (Read 12276 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Please Help Me With My PC
« Reply #125 on: 10 March, 2012, 04:37:28 pm »
I use Outlook for everything at work. Use Google Cal Sync (2-way sync selected) on work PC which syncs events (only) with Google / Android. At home, just use Google (but if you also have Outlook at home, use G Cal Sync (2-way) to do the job.

[I use Exchange Activesync for work email <> Android, but I don't use its calendar or contacts sync for various reasons - for events, the method above works better for me].

Sounds like a good plan.  Can I select bits to sync?  I do want my work calendar synced, but don't need contacts or email (please god, no, not the work email! :o )
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #126 on: 10 March, 2012, 04:45:24 pm »
OK, I still have no sound.  I've tried my normal PC speakers, headphones and an Aux input to my stereo.  Nothing.  In Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices>Volume says 'No Audio Device'.  >Audio says 'No Playback Device'.  Neither of these allows me any dropdowns or button options, as they are all greyed out. :(

Any clues how to explain to my PC that an audio device is connected?  Other than the Basil Fawlty/ado16 interface, that is?
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #127 on: 10 March, 2012, 04:47:13 pm »
You need to reinstall an audio driver.  See if you have a CD or can download a copy for your motherboard or sound card.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #128 on: 10 March, 2012, 04:53:26 pm »
Go to Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices>Hardware & see if any devices have been disabled.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #129 on: 10 March, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »
You need to reinstall an audio driver.  See if you have a CD or can download a copy for your motherboard or sound card.

Sorry, I really don't know about this stuff.  How do I find & download the right driver?  I have no CD. 

Go to Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices>Hardware & see if any devices have been disabled.

Everything is reported working OK(not that I know what they all are :-[ )
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #130 on: 10 March, 2012, 05:56:18 pm »
You need to know or find out what handles the sound: motherboard or a separate sound card, and what model it is.  Then you could try the website of the card/board maker.

Sure you've got no CDs that came with the computer in the loft or down the side of your wardrobe?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #131 on: 10 March, 2012, 06:02:29 pm »
No.  No CDs came with it, I'm afraid.

How can I find out the other stuff (ISTR there's a separate sound card).
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #133 on: 10 March, 2012, 06:14:18 pm »
OK, but I don't have a volume button on my taskbar :(
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #134 on: 10 March, 2012, 06:15:56 pm »
You can get to the same place via Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #135 on: 10 March, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »
...than click the Hardware tab when you get the sound properties.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #136 on: 10 March, 2012, 06:25:56 pm »
Only Properties option I have for that box is for individual bits of hardware, none of which seem to relate to a card.  I note that in 'Legacy Audio Drivers' the Properties tab is an empty list (even though it says the device is working properly.  Something has gone missing, I guess.

I'm very concerned that people keep telling me where to find things, and the options just aren't there.  This might just be too difficult, but I really really don't want to scrap this PC (can't afford to replace it, for one :( ).  It's OK,but just a bit wrong. :(
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #137 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:19:24 pm »
Only Properties option I have for that box is for individual bits of hardware, none of which seem to relate to a card.

It probably will, or it might relate to the motherboard.  Most PCs now have the sound built onto the motherboard, but older PCs have a separate card.

You could try Googling all the info there until some of it makes sense.  Maybe even post all the info here to see if anyone recognises it.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #138 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:25:46 pm »
Or open the case and have a look. ie check if there is a separate sound card, and note down the make/model of that, and note the make/model of motherboard.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #139 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:35:29 pm »
If not sure what a sound card looks like, note where the audio sockets are.  Are they on the same large board containing the processor and memory, etc, or are they on a smaller board attached to the main (mother) board?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #140 on: 10 March, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »
You could try Googling all the info there until some of it makes sense.  Maybe even post all the info here to see if anyone recognises it.
Or follow the suggestions in thread on running Belarc; this will have a root around and tell you things it finds...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #141 on: 14 March, 2012, 08:34:40 pm »
Strewth live essentials has now done away with the tool bar including remote assistance presumably because win 7 has remote assistance built in. Grrrrr It wont let you install 7.5 and log in.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain