Author Topic: Transcontinental 2016  (Read 62044 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Transcontinental 2016
« Reply #100 on: 30 July, 2016, 12:43:09 pm »
Paul Sweenie in a vehicle, believed to have scratched as well.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #101 on: 30 July, 2016, 04:32:10 pm »
Josh Ibbett scratched. Didn't he win it last year?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #102 on: 30 July, 2016, 05:08:20 pm »
Josh Ibbett scratched. Didn't he win it last year?

Yes. Shame we won't see him battle it out with Kristof this year.

Some other good places for updates are this Twitter list with many of the riders and the official race account - https://twitter.com/buro9/lists/tcrno4 - and the LFGSS thread tracking 9* of their riders (and others) - https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/228045/

* https://www.lfgss.com/comments/13128829/

« Reply #103 on: 30 July, 2016, 07:34:47 pm »
Some other good places for updates are this Twitter list with many of the riders and the official race account - https://twitter.com/buro9/lists/tcrno4 - and the LFGSS thread tracking 9* of their riders (and others) - https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/228045/

Ah, and Frank's Twitter feed is the same name as his account here ... <doh> ... :facepalm:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #104 on: 30 July, 2016, 07:37:24 pm »
 A couple of early bolters looking to make CP #1 in a oner. Looking like they will clear 600km in the first 24 hours travelling at North of 30kph :o

A gaggle of riders converging around Auxerre, maybe to bed down for the night.
Loads of riders have burned through 300 to 400 km day one. Impressive.

A couple of guys seem to have gone sightseeing in Paris??

The weather forecast en route looks pretty good.

Which of the leaders will stop and rest first?
often lost.

« Reply #105 on: 30 July, 2016, 09:26:37 pm »
Kristof climbing the Puy after CP#1.
Will he rest or crack on?
often lost.

« Reply #106 on: 30 July, 2016, 09:42:51 pm »
Kristof is actually a superhuman so you can ignore him.  :thumbsup:

I'm slightly surprised at the people only doing 300-400k in the first 24 hours to be honest. Seems more like Audax rather than race pace. Given that the race is oversubscribed maybe they need qualification events.

« Reply #107 on: 30 July, 2016, 09:43:39 pm »
Did anyone else from YACF end up entering?  ...

I don't think she's on here, but many people here probably know her, or know of her, Emily Chappell is doing it too.

Just in case there are folks here who aren't watching the Arts and Entertainment board, Emily is speaking at an event I'm organising in Birmingham. All being well, it'll be a week after she's completed TCR and it'll be where the stream-of-conciousness recollection of everything that happened starts to get sorted out into the bit that comes before the writing.

I am of course using this to claim that dot-watching all day is in fact bona fide actual work.
F5.

Currently 11 tickets remaining: https://linksandshifts.eventbrite.co.uk

« Reply #108 on: 30 July, 2016, 09:55:27 pm »

I'm slightly surprised at the people only doing 300-400k in the first 24 hours to be honest. Seems more like Audax rather than race pace. Given that the race is oversubscribed maybe they need qualification events.

I think they actively go for a cross section of entrants.

They let in anyone who is a serious contender and then fill up the rest with a mix of people.

Can't see a problem in that as long as everyone who thinks they have a real chance at #1 gets a shot.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #109 on: 30 July, 2016, 10:36:44 pm »

Well, 'only' 3-400km a day is way above what is required to finish in time for the finishers party!

The beauty of these races is that many of the best stories come from those towards the back end of the field. (And the back end of the field will be doing a lot less than 300km/day).

Those doing 'only' 3-400km a day are doing something truly awe inspiring and I for one have nothing but respect for them. Not sure I could do it, but I intend to find out sometime.

Anyway, I shouldn't feed the troll and all that.
Right! What's next?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #110 on: 31 July, 2016, 08:29:10 am »
(This troll doesnt even seem very well informed of what he grunts. )

following with interest, there will be some great stories, no doubt.

Good thing they've had the sense to pick some good weather, eh Marcus? ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #111 on: 31 July, 2016, 08:49:39 am »
Some of the riders have already had some big storms to contend with.

Forecast of very tough conditions in the mountains. low temperatures and lots of rain.

It isn't meant to be easy though. Even at 'only' 300 a day.......
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #112 on: 31 July, 2016, 08:57:10 am »
James Hayden has not scratched, but has a chest infection and will rest at CP1 before continuing.

Gutted as he has worked so hard for this attempt after last year's issue with the neck.
Right! What's next?

Phil W

« Reply #113 on: 31 July, 2016, 09:43:54 am »
Earlier this week I watched the video of last year's race.   Loving the photos and race blogs coming out. Hippy doing a bit of off road out west. Brilliant stuff.

Phil W

« Reply #114 on: 31 July, 2016, 12:05:25 pm »
Some twitter highlights -
hippy @firsthippy 3h3 hours ago
Don't tell hotel guy but I used his scissors to cut off my pubes to tape raw bits. Raining now! #TCRNo4 #TCRNo4S142 In bus shelter, jacket.
Rose McGovern @RoseMcTweets 4h4 hours ago Villeneuve-sur-Yonne, France
When you think you are holding a steady pace in the right direction but actually your @GarminUK has frozen! #TCRNo4 #cycling @PrimalEurope
Matt Brady @allotmentlad 5h5 hours ago
I'm worried for the poor mosquitos. What are they going to eat tonight when I'm not there? #TCRNo4
Chris P Dennis @chrispdennis 14h14 hours ago Domats, France
Managed to wheel my bike around lidl picking up supplies today; only got a very minor bollocking. Result. #TCRNo4 #TCRNo4S146 @transconrace
hippy @firsthippy 22h22 hours ago
Carrefour lunch. Such yum much taste. Shorts seem to have turned penis into mince. Bit earlier than expected. :S #TCRNo4 #TCRNo4S142
Darren Franks @darrenfranks 22h22 hours ago Auxerre, France
A much-needed McStop. The belly demanded feeding and my arse was simply begging for mercy. It is not 'lovin it'
robjordan @robjordan Jul 30 Coincy, France
#TCRno4 #TCRNo4s061 Oh and refilled water bottles via stealth incursion into campsite. I think I like this game!

« Reply #115 on: 31 July, 2016, 12:53:01 pm »
Paul Bernd and Kristof are basically neck and neck out front passing through the town of Tournus. Paul has taken a more direct route though, so covered the distance more quickly allowing him an extra 2 hours rest (to Kristof's one hour stop!) Who will crack first and sleep?
Their average moving speeds have dropped back from a mind blowing 32 kph to 27.5. Maybe early tailwinds, elevation or fatigue perhaps.

Ultan Coyle, who I think started late, is moving swiftly up the pack.

Mid pack riders have covered around 500 km or so. They have rested  (ballpark 10 to 12) hours and are moving at 22-25 kph.

Anyone have the race #'s of the guys on YACF?
often lost.

« Reply #116 on: 31 July, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »
Update, Kristofs tracker just kicked in again. He's got 32 km on Paul.
often lost.

« Reply #117 on: 31 July, 2016, 01:00:39 pm »
Those doing 'only' 3-400km a day are doing something truly awe inspiring and I for one have nothing but respect for them. Not sure I could do it, but I intend to find out sometime.

Anyway, I shouldn't feed the troll and all that.

Genuine surprise, not trolling. I'm also hoping to race it in the future which is why I'm watching carefully what's required to be competitive.

I know averages will be lower over the whole 2-3 weeks but this was day 1. For some comparison (although obviously not great because of weather and climbing differences):

333k Market Rasen 943 of 1091 riders (86%) went through within 24 hours
399k Pocklington 537 of 1091 riders (49%) went through within 24 hours

So when I said Audax pace, not race pace, I literally meant exactly that.

« Reply #118 on: 31 July, 2016, 01:06:42 pm »
Neil Philips #172 may be one to watch. He is up the sharp end but has managed 9 1/2 hours off the bike so will be better rested. He's moving faster than the other leaders.
often lost.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #119 on: 31 July, 2016, 05:39:45 pm »
Bernd scratches.

The contenders are dropping like flies this year!
Right! What's next?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #120 on: 31 July, 2016, 05:52:20 pm »
And we have our first epic tale:
Some twitter highlights -
hippy @firsthippy 3h3 hours ago
Don't tell hotel guy but I used his scissors to cut off my pubes to tape raw bits. Raining now! #TCRNo4 #TCRNo4S142 In bus shelter, jacket.

hippy @firsthippy 22h22 hours ago
Carrefour lunch. Such yum much taste. Shorts seem to have turned penis into mince. Bit earlier than expected. :S #TCRNo4 #TCRNo4S142
great stuff!

Thanks for that Phil, keep up the scooping  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #121 on: 31 July, 2016, 06:02:26 pm »
A few riders taking a more Southerly approach to check point #2.
Looks initially hillier. Maybe they plan to skirt Lac Leman from the South?

Sorry to hear about Bernd, any news on why?
often lost.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #122 on: 31 July, 2016, 06:41:23 pm »
Er ... can someone point me to the tracker site?

(I've been round in circles of various pages of the official site; reportage, race info ...  to no avail. I'm sure its under my nose somewhere! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

rob

« Reply #123 on: 31 July, 2016, 06:51:20 pm »
Er ... can someone point me to the tracker site?

(I've been round in circles of various pages of the official site; reportage, race info ...  to no avail. I'm sure its under my nose somewhere! )

http://trackleaders.com/transconrace16

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #124 on: 31 July, 2016, 09:55:26 pm »
No updates on the state of hippy's knob though.
Right! What's next?