Author Topic: ADBlockPlus replacement?  (Read 1704 times)

ADBlockPlus replacement?
« on: 29 November, 2018, 11:24:14 am »
ADBlockPlus seems to be preventing/delaying page load a bit too often these days, what suggestions for replacement?

(hint: if you are experiencing strange delays in page load and using AdBlockPlus, try disabling.....)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ADBlockPlus replacement?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2018, 11:32:06 am »
I run pi-hole here and it does a great job, it runs as a container on my router but was originally designed to run on a raspberry pi.  Might need a bit more fettling and network knowledge to get running than ABP though.

https://pi-hole.net/
Regards,

Joergen

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2018, 03:57:14 pm »
On my works computer I recently noticed a forced install of uBlock Origin. Seems to capture more than ABP.
Gibbo.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2018, 04:56:25 pm »
Abblockpro has flucked up too.

Over to brave?

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2018, 09:37:44 pm »
uBlock Origin (as per Gibbo's suggestion) seems to be OK for me at the moment, a brief unplanned sojourn with ublock suggested it isn't as clean as ublock origin and taught me they aren't the same thing.

« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:00:21 am »
+1 uBlock Origin in either Firefox or Chrome

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:28:30 am »
ADBlockPlus seems to be preventing/delaying page load a bit too often these days, what suggestions for replacement?

(hint: if you are experiencing strange delays in page load and using AdBlockPlus, try disabling.....)

Ah ha!  I wondered why it seemed to take a while to page load now, and often it half loads, freezes, then re-loads.  Thx for the heads up.

« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2018, 12:09:40 pm »
I've used uBlock Origin for quite a while now.

It seems ADBlockPlus went downhill after they took payment to allow some ads through.

« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2018, 10:42:02 am »
When I googled re AdBlock failure it was recommended to load a "beta version" or some such which has sorted the problem of pages failing to load completely.  Version running now is Version number 3.4.2.2206.

« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2018, 11:34:57 am »
I swapped to ublock origin (for chrome and safari) and it works well.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)