Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165163 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3200 on: 18 January, 2011, 10:14:45 pm »
Skip
Bounce

Welcome back Marge.  :-*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3201 on: 20 January, 2011, 07:02:42 am »
I just found the keys for a very cheap and cheerful lock which I got from Centre Parcs a couple of years back.  I've been looking for them, on and off, for ages, and utterly failing to find them, which was annoying.  It'll do as a very light, minimal lock, for things like FNRttCs.
Actually, it is rocket science.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3202 on: 20 January, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »
I saw the old dear who wrote my car off this morning ... standing at the local bus stop.

I don't care whether her car has been written off or whether her family have decided that the don't want her driving any more, the roads are now just a teeny bit safer for everyone.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3203 on: 20 January, 2011, 04:58:45 pm »
I went to the corner shop, where Valencia was waiting for me all mended and ready to go.  As was a replacement for my Topeak rack pack, on which the strap broke last Saturday when the stitching gave way in one spot.  I took the bag back in on Tuesday (without a receipt) and they sent it off to the manufacturer who rang and said they'd send a replacement so the shop gave me a new one from stock.

They replaced the gear cable inner/outer, sorted the slight rub from the rear brake by straightening the very minor wobble in the rotor all for a very bargainacious price, and it was done by lunchtime today which I thought was rather splendid, since I rang yesterday morning to see if they could fit her in, and dropped her off during my (very) late lunch break yestrday.  I think I might owe them a cake.....

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3204 on: 20 January, 2011, 05:20:47 pm »
Marj is improved to a degree whereby she has been discharged & is now back home :thumbsup:
The world looks a brighter place now she's back to bake for me :)

FTFY!   :P  ;D

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3205 on: 20 January, 2011, 05:35:59 pm »
A young lad from our local cycling club has been signed to ride in Belgium to train & compete in the European Youth Series.  :D

He has improved tremendously since joining the club - 2 years ago he was slower than me on a 10 mile TT, This year he won 5 of the club trophies.  :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3206 on: 20 January, 2011, 06:23:18 pm »
I've got a job interview tomorrow! Hopefully from Monday I will be working for the NHS...

I found a fiver in an old handbag!

I've found a set of keys that fit one of my D-Locks, which means I am now restored back to two locks again.

After weeks of feeling down I feel like I'm starting to be my old self again  :)

« Reply #3207 on: 20 January, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »
I've got a job interview tomorrow! Hopefully from Monday I will be working for the NHS...

I've found a set of keys that fit one of my D-Locks, which means I am now restored back to two locks again.

After weeks of feeling down I feel like I'm starting to be my old self again  :)

Good x4
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #3208 on: 20 January, 2011, 07:20:46 pm »
 :thumbsup: HW!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3209 on: 20 January, 2011, 07:45:54 pm »
The bit of chain tug that went a.w.o.l. has been found :)

« Reply #3210 on: 20 January, 2011, 07:59:15 pm »
Went to Confused.com & got a quote for renewal of Ms AWL's car insurance. Cheapest = Egg @ £438. She's already with Egg, so I called them up, as I've lost the renewal papers. Turns out - much to my surprise - that the renewal quote is  £362. I've never known a renewal be cheaper than a new quote before & I nearly bit the operator's hand off on the phone!

Oh, and also to my surprise, Ms AWL says I can go AWL tomorrow for my best mate's 50th in the Cotswolds. My 50th on Sat, so we can kill two birds with one stone. Not sure the 50th should be in the Good News thread, though!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3211 on: 20 January, 2011, 09:01:51 pm »

Yay x 4!!

GOOD LUCK for tomorrow  :)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3212 on: 21 January, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »

I got the job!  :)

I had a lovely interview with two of the managers there (its at the Royal London Hospital Integrated Medicine) and we got on really well. Then I had a brief tour of the library. It's probably one of the most beautiful libraries I have seen, a regal place full of dark wood and gorgeous chandeliers with loads of Macs for the library users.

After the interview, I was just cycling through High Holborn when my phone rang. It was one of the managers who had interviewed saying 'could you come back please, don't worry if you've put your cycling gear back on  ;D'. I got back there and they said 'we would like to offer you the role' and then filled me in with more about the role.

It's only a 10 week role, but there is a good chance that it can be extended so we shall wait and see. I've never worked in the NHS before so its a great opportunity to get into that sector, as normally to get into library roles you have to have experience of working in there already. Roll on next Tuesday!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3213 on: 21 January, 2011, 07:46:34 pm »
Hurrah hurrah hurray!

That's fab news.  Well done!

gordon taylor

« Reply #3214 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:06:38 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #3215 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:14:21 pm »
Yay! That's fantastic news!

« Reply #3216 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »
NIce one
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3217 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:21:59 pm »
Good news.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #3218 on: 21 January, 2011, 08:52:53 pm »
Totally fabulous news!!!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3219 on: 21 January, 2011, 10:56:46 pm »
Ah many gratz HW  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3220 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:00:48 pm »
It's probably one of the most beautiful libraries I have seen, a regal place full of dark wood and gorgeous chandeliers with loads of Macs for the library users.

You have truly found heaven!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3221 on: 21 January, 2011, 11:34:37 pm »
<hiccup> I love you all, you are my beshetst friends in the wholest world, and I love you all, did I tell you that I love you all, thank you sooo much, librariest love and hugs </hiccup>

« Reply #3222 on: 22 January, 2011, 12:02:30 am »

I had a lovely interview with two of the managers there (its at the Royal London Hospital Integrated Medicine)

Congrats and all that - that's the old Homeopathic in Queens Square, isn't it? They'd made up their mind by High Holborn? All of three minutes, all the more impressive.

(Oh, and don't forget to check out Cosmo China in Cosmo place ;-) )

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3223 on: 22 January, 2011, 12:15:46 am »

I had a lovely interview with two of the managers there (its at the Royal London Hospital Integrated Medicine)

Congrats and all that - that's the old Homeopathic in Queens Square, isn't it? They'd made up their mind by High Holborn? All of three minutes, all the more impressive.

Bless you, it is! They had tried to stop me, via security guard, on the way out, but I had changed super ninja like and had evaded notice! I am so going to check out Cosmo China (although am not sure what that is  :-[)

« Reply #3224 on: 22 January, 2011, 12:30:12 am »

Bless you, it is! They had tried to stop me, via security guard, on the way out, but I had changed super ninja like and had evaded notice! I am so going to check out Cosmo China (although am not sure what that is  :-[)

Cosmo China:

Run by Josie Firmin, the daughter of Peter Firmin, he of  The Saga of Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Clangers, Bagpuss and Pogles' Wood amongst others