Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165784 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3675 on: 06 April, 2011, 12:12:19 pm »
Moare good news!
I had the plumber in this morning to fix 4 things:

The lack of pressure in my high-pressure hot water cyclinder (that had been causing Shower_of_Doom epic fail where you put shampoo in your hair and then the water totally stops coming out for 20 minutes).
Replace a tap washer.
Un-seize my mains stop cock.
Change sediment cartridge in mains water filter thingy.

He was here for nearly 3 hours and I was expecting a good £200+ sized bill ...... and he charged me £60  :o  :o  :o  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3676 on: 06 April, 2011, 02:09:21 pm »
He must have enjoyed un-seizing you stop cock!  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3677 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »
I rode my Enigma today, for the first time this year.

It felt good.

Now, if I can stop getting out of breath whenever I try to speed up, & knackered after a few miles . . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3678 on: 07 April, 2011, 09:50:43 am »
Our CTO, who is something of an early victim of middle-aged spread, has bought himself a second hand Nigel Dean touring bike.  He asked me what the significance of the phrase "Reynolds steel throughout", so I told him it means "quality bicycle".
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3679 on: 07 April, 2011, 09:53:31 am »
Got a Nigel Dean by chance?  That is most fortunate for him.  I hope he enjoys riding it (he should).
Getting there...

« Reply #3680 on: 07 April, 2011, 12:40:16 pm »
H/R monitor and stay in lower zone, before long you will be flying  8)

I rode my Enigma today, for the first time this year.

It felt good.

Now, if I can stop getting out of breath whenever I try to speed up, & knackered after a few miles . . . .
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3681 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »
I got  a cheque I wasn't expecting (forgotten) in the post.  I will not need to dip into savings to pay next months CC bill.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3682 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:56:29 pm »
Our CEO is heading out to buy us all ice cream.  ;D

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

JJ

« Reply #3683 on: 09 April, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »
Pico J is on two wheels as of this morning. I was ready for a long session helping him, but in the event he just got on and rode.

That's us done then. No more stabilisers in the J family.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3684 on: 09 April, 2011, 09:58:09 pm »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3685 on: 09 April, 2011, 10:11:46 pm »
Pico J is on two wheels as of this morning. I was ready for a long session helping him, but in the event he just got on and rode.

That's us done then. No more stabilisers in the J family.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) ;D

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3686 on: 09 April, 2011, 10:12:25 pm »
Good news JJ.  You do realise that when Pico J grows up he will realise that Trikes are cool and go for three wheels?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #3687 on: 10 April, 2011, 01:22:57 pm »
Thus grows the future  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3688 on: 10 April, 2011, 05:04:03 pm »
the,computer,shop,are,ordering,me,a,new,keynoard,which,should,ne,here,ny,the,end,of,the,week,adn,then,they,can,fit,it,for,me.

this,is,a,good,thing.,until,then,my,posts,will,remain,semi-ginnerish.,
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3689 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:51:04 am »
I returned from a cracking weekend in Oban

with bridies ; thanks Eck
& mrs. jogler has made homity pie
& g.d. has made oaty-jam flapjack & jammy-dodgers

« Reply #3690 on: 11 April, 2011, 01:21:48 pm »
I am no longer in teh clutches of the evil Murdoch. My Sky contract expired on the 8th and my new Humax freesat box arrived. I plugged in the 2 satellite cables, SCART and mains cable and turned it on and it pretty much installed itself!

A couple of minutes later I was watching and recording things all for free  :thumbsup:

I have so far not missed any of my Sky channels. It will be a bit sad when the Giro and TdF are on not to be able to watch the whole live stages, I will have to make do with the shortened version. Other than that it's all good and I am £60 a month better off.
Further good news is that the 2nd Sky box upstairs in my son's bedroom still works, all be it only with the free channels. I was expecting to have to buy a sky freeview card for his box or have a digital aerial installed. More dosh to spend on bike bits  ;D

« Reply #3691 on: 11 April, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »
It will be a bit sad when the Giro and TdF are on not to be able to watch the whole live stages, I will have to make do with the shortened version.

You watch the cycling via the net

Paris-Roubaix Live Video Streaming, Photos, Results - Pro Cycling Live Race Coverage - Watch Cycling TV | www.cyclingfans.com

show all cycling racing from across Europe.

« Reply #3692 on: 11 April, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »
Other than that it's all good and I am £60 a month better off.

In about 9 months they'll start sending you letters enticing you back for half price.

Our £19 a month deal (just base channels and all Sky Sports, not HD) runs out at the end of May at which point we'll cancel for a year again unless they want to continue it for £19 a month.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3693 on: 11 April, 2011, 02:10:20 pm »
Other than that it's all good and I am £60 a month better off.

In about 9 months they'll start sending you letters enticing you back for half price.

Our £19 a month deal (just base channels and all Sky Sports, not HD) runs out at the end of May at which point we'll cancel for a year again unless they want to continue it for £19 a month.

I don't think they will be able to entice me back, because the picture and sound are actually much better on my Human freesat box, and I now have a mahoosive 500GB of recording space :)

« Reply #3694 on: 11 April, 2011, 02:10:49 pm »
It will be a bit sad when the Giro and TdF are on not to be able to watch the whole live stages, I will have to make do with the shortened version.

You watch the cycling via the net

Paris-Roubaix Live Video Streaming, Photos, Results - Pro Cycling Live Race Coverage - Watch Cycling TV | [url=http://www.cyclingfans.com]Paris-Roubaix Live Video Streaming, Photos, Results - Pro Cycling Live Race Coverage - Watch Cycling TV | www.cyclingfans.com[/url]

show all cycling racing from across Europe.

This is great news, thanks  ;D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3695 on: 12 April, 2011, 06:58:41 am »
I'm on a train up to town for my first professional penny farthing gig in Oxford Street this morning.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3696 on: 12 April, 2011, 09:14:38 am »
Kewl!  Watcha doin?
Getting there...

« Reply #3697 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:47:53 am »
The person on the Today programme who complained about Norman Baker cycling without a helmet was put in her place not only by him, but by Mr Humphys, who owned up to cycling lots & not wearing one, & raised the risk compensation (by drivers) argument.  :thumbsup:

Baker took the opportunity to put good, sensible, arguments against helmet compulsion, citing the health benefits of maximising cycling & the discouraging effect of compulsion. Excellent!

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3698 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:49:33 am »
The mother-in-law's gone home  :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3699 on: 12 April, 2011, 01:06:18 pm »
Kewl!  Watcha doin?

It was a publicity stunt for some kind of West End shopping organisation.  The idea was something along the lines of, "during the Royal wedding, the shops on Oxford Street will still be open and all the assistants will be wearing posh hats so come and spend lots of money KTHXBAI."

Yeah, I know.  But they paid me  ::-)

(which means I'm now a professional penny farthing rider 8))
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk