Author Topic: Audax Mesh  (Read 2619 times)

Audax Mesh
« on: 11 July, 2020, 12:53:17 pm »
Came across the audax mesh online today

It’s still on aukweb at http://www.aukweb.net/mesh/index.htm

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Audax Mesh
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2020, 01:41:51 pm »
Fond memories.
I did my first 150km event on the Mesh in 2009 and the organiser in the midlands at the time was Danial Webb. I recently came across his encouraging words on the validated brevet card telling me I'd easily manage a 200. Two RRTYs later and he turns out to have been right.
Wonder whatever happened to him?
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2020, 09:30:37 pm »
I happened to find my original Mesh maps during one of my lockdown loft clearout sessions, happy memories indeed. Most of my rides ended up about 15% overdistance! I did quite a few 200 & 300s around East Anglia in the early Noughties.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2020, 10:28:44 pm »
The mesh was more extensive at one point - this connected with Peter Coulson's mesh.  My very first randonnee in 2002 was one of them - Overton - Hungerford - Malmesbury - Faringdon - Goring - Overton - with the joy of Streatley hill at about 110 miles.  And my first SR series was concluded with a 300 - Overton - Romsey -Shaftesbury - Cheddar - Malmesbury - Hungerford - Overton in 2005.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2020, 08:47:33 pm »
I've got one tucked away somewhere.  But chateau arabella isn't a node on the mesh and DIYs were becoming a thing by the time I ventured on the audax scene so never did one.
Meanwhile I have been looking at bridleways/restricted byways, on foot.  I think it'll stay that way!
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:10:09 pm »
That ugly MapPoint style takes me back :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2020, 12:57:01 pm »
I've had a go at generating a modern audax mesh using the controls data gathered for the perms map.

The basic edges of the triangles was done via Delaunay triangulation if anyone is familiar with that. The google walking distance has been calculated for every point to point line (2,906) shown between controls. I've got an idea for some shortest path type logic to calculate route between controls.  But that's for another day.

« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2020, 01:30:35 pm »
The poor, neglected Northeast! :( (This is not a criticism of the map or any perm organisers obviously)

I've had a go at generating a modern audax mesh using the controls data gathered for the perms map.

The basic edges of the triangles was done via Delaunay triangulation if anyone is familiar with that. The google walking distance has been calculated for every point to point line (2,906) shown between controls. I've got an idea for some shortest path type logic to calculate route between controls.  But that's for another day.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2020, 09:35:04 pm »
At least the Northeast is on the map....

It does look rather cool though. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2020, 01:52:43 pm »
Poor Scotland got chopped off!

« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2020, 07:34:31 pm »
Poor Scotland got chopped off!

Oh the mesh goes all the way upto JOG but zoom out so you can see the whole of GB and the mesh merges into a load of red with something below! But it is only the top of Scotland chopped off, not all of it, in the screen snips.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #11 on: 14 July, 2020, 10:14:36 pm »
I've got an idea for some shortest path type logic to calculate route between controls.  But that's for another day.

There's some IvanScienceTM behind his FRRT for stuff like TC, may be worth a discussion.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2020, 11:05:58 am »
Well here is Phil science *

First iteration / test of shortest path routing. At the moment all routes lead to John O' Groats as I'm testing it routing across the country.  The graph data set (I've built for routing) is very compact, at 200 kb, and it takes 18 milliseonds (1/50 second) to calculate a shortest route from Lands End to John 'O' Groats via the known permanent controls. It runs entirely in the browser, not needing a server back end to do the routing.

Note this won't tell you which roads to take but it will give a list of controls to move along, and it knows the Google walking distance between all controls, so can give you a minimum distance, plus a GPX with a list of control waypoints. When I write the later bit anyway.

York Arrow planning example

* Well actually it's Dijkstra's algorithm for the magic. I just generated the audax mesh weighted graph for it to consume. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra%27s_algorithm