Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3010329 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
York is a 24h city, its residents never sleep.

jogler

• mojo operandi
but I'm not in York

but I'm not in York

Perhaps we need to relocate  ;D

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
I've just been reminded how difficult it can be to translate texts from one language into another.  In some languages complex sentences and 'flowery' verse are fine, but that text translated directly into other languages (but still following rules of grammar) just sounds wrong.  Yes, the target language was English in this case.  450 words took me about an hour to translate... into 600 words.  I'm really out of practice.

Back in the late 90s, I was working for an overseas development agency.  These were the years when spam and e-mail trojans were just beginning to bite, so I was naturally suspicious when the IT department recieved an e-mail with the subject line "Graphic love PAPS" and a Word attachment.  On (carefully) opening the Word document, I wasn't reassured to find it containing a badly written poem and a picture of a flower, so I went looking for the malware payload.  I was very surprised to find out, on further investigation, that the e-mail was entirely innocent.

The e-mail was from the Pakistani Aids Prevention Society, hence PAPS (and the broken English of the rest of the message).  It was a friendly fraternal message (inspired by some local holiday), hence "love".  And they attached a nice picture to go with the friendly message, hence "Graphic".  Lost in translation, eh?
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Just had a text message from my daughter.

"Alvin Kissoon has just been called into the doctor ahead of me. Was he Kent? Could it be the same person?"

My reply was "Yes and yes. If you get the chance, say hello."

In 1993 Alvin Kissoon shared the national under 8 chess championship with my son in Dundee.

British Champions 1904 – present | The English Chess Federation refers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Acid-wash jeans have this advantage: bike oil stains don't stand out at all.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
In 1993 Alvin Kissoon shared the national under 8 chess championship with my son in Dundee.

Any relation to Mac & Katie? ;D
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I think I'm getting the cold :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Any relation to Mac & Katie? ;D

Sorry, does not compute.

Edit: googled. Probably not. Alvin was originally from Mauritius.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Didn't want to make light of this on the earthquake thread but from the BBC website:
"Nuclear engineer and fellow of the UK's Royal Academy of Engineering Dame Sue Ion said Japan..."  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Are you positive you read that?

robbo6

Following the female line, Mme BB's mother was the first to venture more than a day's walking distance from home, her grandfathers only went further because they were in the army.

I pulled one of my back teeth out today, because it was becoming so uncomfortable. I think it was being pushed out by an emerging wisdom tooth.  :-[
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Heard the first bagpipe of spring on Wimbledon Common this morning.

Either that or a womble being abused

Julian

• samoture
I'm going to ride to work tomorrow for the first time in months.  Haven't cycle commuted since the last job finished in December, and the new commute is longer (10 miles) and less nice (going past a Scary Bit) but then along Hyde Park, so not all bad.

clarion

• Tyke
:-* Wonderful
Getting there...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I've been ill all day with period pain and digestive fail and was very miserable till Kim got home with some of Crinkly Lion's fabulous CAKE!

CAKE was very nice, thank you CL!

jogler

• mojo operandi
but I'm not in York

Perhaps we need to relocate  ;D

I'll have a ganders at the work potential ;)

Not worth a rant, but a PITA nevertheless...

I had a shower this morning as usual. I took off my glasses and can I find them now? Can I feck! The only spare pair I have are about 6 years old and, due to encroaching decrepitness, I now need varifocals, so I can't see anything close up with them on.

I was thinking of getting a new pair of lenses anyway, but will now be forced to do so unless they turn up sharpish.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

I had a shower this morning as usual. I took off my glasses and can I find them now? .
Have you patted your head?

Dozy as I can be at 6.45am, I have never sunk that low :)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
I appear to have conjunctivitis.

This is distinctly sub-optimal.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
I read somewhere that this week is National Eating Disorder week. It's also Chip Week and National Pie Week as well apparently.  Which seems a bit unfortunate.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

But it isn't sub-optical.

But it isn't sub-optical.

But is it opthalmically sub-optimal?

I read somewhere that this week is National Eating Disorder week. It's also Chip Week and National Pie Week as well apparently.  Which seems a bit unfortunate.

John Prescott won't mind...