Author Topic: Funny coincidence  (Read 1109 times)

Funny coincidence
« on: 30 March, 2009, 04:58:16 pm »
I went mountain biking on the weekend - on Sunday I rode a local loop, meeting up with the local MTB club from Aberyswyth on the trail itself (they'd ridden from one direction, me from the opposite). After a really good ride, I get back to my car (parked at the top of a mountain road), put my bike, helmet and gloves on the roof, get changed and then drive off... with my helmet still sitting on the top of the car. Which I realise just as soon as I get home. ::-)

Today, having given some friends a lift into the nearest town, I find a man hovering around my car:

"Excuse me, have you lost a helmet?"

Turns out he'd been out riding with a friend on Sunday, had seen my car parked up at the top of the pass when riding over in one direction, and noticed the bike rack on top. On the way back, he'd found the helmet and gloves, and put two and two together. He'd noticed my car before, and so knew I was local - the wife of the guy he was out riding with also has a red mini, in the same village as me, and also recognised my car, so even without the chance meeting today I would have got it back! 

How nice is that?! :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Funny coincidence
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2019, 11:05:46 pm »
I knew there had to be thread here somewhere...

The cast: Heather, my daughter, lives in Melbourne. She is being visited by my son Graham, who flew out there a day or so ago. Alistair Hung is a chap who used to represent Essex at chess when they did as juniors some 20 years ago. He grew up in Basildon. The odd date & stuff is because I've just lifted it from Whatsapp.

Heather: "I just got a text from Alistair Hung who is in Melbourne for a bit"
[22:56, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: "I saw him a couple of years ago - he lives in NZ"
[22:56, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: 'Asked if I wanted to catch up while I’m here"
[22:56, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: "I said yes lovely graham is also here let’s get a drink"
[22:57, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: "Text graham to let him know"
[22:57, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: "G: funny you should mention it a guy stopped us on the street this morning to ask for directions"
[22:57, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: "I thought “that could be Alastair Hung” then immediately dismissed the thought cos it’s clearly highly improbable"
[22:57, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: "I asked Alistair, did you stop a couple on the way to a yoga class this morning to ask for directions"
[22:57, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: "In the Collingwood area?"
[22:58, 23/12/2019] Peter Walker: "And yes, he did"

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:05:40 pm »
Today Jan and I ventured into Newport (Pembs) just to see what it was like. We ended up having lunch in a slightly poncey bistro.

Whilst we were eating, a few people came and went and mostly I took no notice. Then, I overheard someone ordering some cake to take out. “It’s our wedding anniversary so we are going to celebrate.”

I turned and asked them, for it was a couple, “Excuse me, did I just hear you say the today is your wedding anniversary?”

“Yes, you did.”

“Snap!” I responded.

Further conversation revealed that it was their 48th. Same as ours.

It turned out that they were married in Diss, whereas we tied the knot in the Stalybridge Unitarian church.

I explored the possibility of having a meal with them this evening, but it seems that one of them still has an ageing parent to attend to. However, we took them upon their recommendation of the Golden Lion, Newport, as a preferred eatery.

I know of only two other couples whose wedding day was 17th April: Chris & Mrs. Hoy, and Sybil and Basil Fawlty.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:14:34 pm »
Fascinating - we miss you by 5 days (and 5 years).  My adoptive grandfather was from Diss and I can (and frequently do) spit into Stalybridge from here.  Congratulations, too!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:18:43 pm »
Your 48th wedding anniversary is 2 years minus one day after my birthday, congrats
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens