Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113549 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #125 on: 07 June, 2020, 03:37:33 pm »
I am perfectly happy to let ajax bray know , staggered starts and allocated starts wouldn't work for me as a organizer ( i start my events and then have to go to work) , then as a rider i ride events with my mates ,riding with other people is what cycling is about.
That's perfectly sensible - we are bound to lose events where organisers can't make their events work under the pandemic laws/guidelines.

This is obviously sad, but it's no reason to throw the other babies out with the bath-water.

Meanwhile, there are perms to be sorted out!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #126 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:50:59 pm »
I received the email from the AUK perms sec; perfectly happy to make all my 100-200k perms (even the overseas one) available as soon as the All UK guidelines suggest they are safe for riders and others

rob

« Reply #127 on: 08 June, 2020, 10:00:18 pm »
I received the email from the AUK perms sec; perfectly happy to make all my 100-200k perms (even the overseas one) available as soon as the All UK guidelines suggest they are safe for riders and others

I entered one of your 200s just before lockdown, given I can start 5 miles from home.  The problem is I’ll have moved out of the area before I can ride it.  Such is life.

« Reply #128 on: 09 June, 2020, 02:48:38 pm »
UPDATE from CTT on 8 June 2020
[My emboldening]

"This update relates to CTT events in England only.  It does not relate to events in Wales or Scotland.

"At the beginning of June, the Government relaxed the restrictions on social distancing.  Whereas it is still not considered possible nor indeed appropriate to recommence CTT events as yet, it is anticipated that on or around 04 July the current restrictions may be relaxed further.  In anticipation of that being the case, it is hoped that it may be possible to resume CTT events in July 2020.

"Currently all CTT events are suspended up to and including 30 June 2020.  To allow time to properly consider the expected Government guidance, Type B ‘club’ events are further suspended up to and including 05 July 2020 and all Type A events are further suspended up to and including 17 July 2020.

"The safety of competitors and all those involved with the event must be paramount.  It has to be made clear that competition can be resumed only if the Government guidelines are relaxed sufficiently so as to allow for time trials to take place, and it is considered those guidelines can be fully adhered to regarding social distancing.  If this proves to be the case, Type B ‘club’ events can be held from 06 July 2020 and Type A events from 18 July 2020.
In taking this decision it is emphasised that there is no pressure at all on clubs or organisers to hold their events.  Whether to proceed with an event is entirely at the discretion of the relevant CTT district, the individual club and the individual promotor of the event.

"A full coronavirus risk assessment and guidance as to what steps to put in place to mitigate potential risk has been prepared and will be circulated to all CTT districts, CTT affiliated clubs and event organisers shortly."   

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #129 on: 14 June, 2020, 08:55:05 am »
I guess the AUK Board will be meeting in the next week about possible changes at the beginning of July, given how cycling and other sports are moving. I look forward to a statement regarding a unified or regional approach and some more information regarding a staged resumption of activities.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #130 on: 14 June, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »
Until there is some change in regs/ guidelines from the government,  nothing will change for audax uk.
My advice is simple really, let the board do what it needs to do and in time events etc will return,  till then go ride your bike its great fun even with out a brevet card in your pocket,  trust me :thumbsup:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #131 on: 14 June, 2020, 06:24:56 pm »
Caravan and Camping Club discussing their plans for reopening sites; doesn't bode well for communal accommodation like hostels, bunkhouses, bothies and village hall audax controls
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/scotlands-camping-caravan-sites-set-18414491

Basically 6 cleans a day of toilet blocks where they decide to open them (usually 1...)

For campsites that wouldn't have been so bad maybe 10 years ago before the "day van" concept turned into overnight accommodation.

Davef

« Reply #132 on: 14 June, 2020, 06:58:19 pm »
Caravan and Camping Club discussing their plans for reopening sites; doesn't bode well for communal accommodation like hostels, bunkhouses, bothies and village hall audax controls
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/scotlands-camping-caravan-sites-set-18414491

Basically 6 cleans a day of toilet blocks where they decide to open them (usually 1...)

For campsites that wouldn't have been so bad maybe 10 years ago before the "day van" concept turned into overnight accommodation.
I quite like the sound of a multiday camping audax. It seems they are expecting the “no overnight stays” rules to be relaxed. I wonder if they have inside info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #133 on: 14 June, 2020, 07:20:40 pm »

I quite like the sound of a multiday camping audax. It seems they are expecting the “no overnight stays” rules to be relaxed. I wonder if they have inside info.

Muted as July 4th for reopening campsites. Thought that was common knowledge.

Davef

« Reply #134 on: 14 June, 2020, 07:24:54 pm »

Something official by government saying 4th July ?

« Reply #135 on: 14 June, 2020, 08:00:27 pm »

Yes

Have a read of their strategy document Covid 19 plan to rebuild.

Davef

« Reply #136 on: 14 June, 2020, 08:18:05 pm »

Yes

Have a read of their strategy document Covid 19 plan to rebuild.
This - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/our-plan-to-rebuild-the-uk-governments-covid-19-recovery-strategy/our-plan-to-rebuild-the-uk-governments-covid-19-recovery-strategy#our-roadmap-to-lift-restrictions-step-by-step

Doesn’t mention camping, just “accommodation” unless I have missed something. It makes sense to do camping before hotels, but I haven’t seen anything official.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #137 on: 15 June, 2020, 07:19:25 am »
There was some "official muttering" from Westminster about allowing self-catering accomodation to open before hotels - because the occupants are separated from other folk - but I don't recall it ever reaching an official document.

Don't recall anything about camping; I guess it's just not on a govt adviser's radar!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #138 on: 15 June, 2020, 11:55:04 am »
I wonder if they have inside info.

Being an organization with a long term existence and heavy lobbying presence with government, they are probably in the loop of civil service engagement, similar to sport governing bodies that lobby government and therefore known to civil service.

Accommodation covers site based camping...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #139 on: 15 June, 2020, 01:20:39 pm »

Being an organization with a long term existence and heavy lobbying presence with government, they are probably in the loop of civil service engagement, similar to sport governing bodies that lobby government and therefore known to civil service.

No Audax sleeping, feeding toilet facilities i have ever used meet the criteria. I use dormitory sleeping facilities in hostels with shared showers and toilets. These tend to operate on a shoestring budget and now they need to deep clean twice a day and apply distance rules in shared kitchens and dining facilities.

Forget 2020. Plan for 2021.

BB 
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Davef

« Reply #140 on: 15 June, 2020, 02:47:07 pm »

No Audax sleeping, feeding toilet facilities i have ever used meet the criteria. I use dormitory sleeping facilities in hostels with shared showers and toilets. These tend to operate on a shoestring budget and now they need to deep clean twice a day and apply distance rules in shared kitchens and dining facilities.

BB
Cross off the events with mandatory sleeping, feeding and toilet facilities off for 2020.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #141 on: 15 June, 2020, 03:08:29 pm »

BB

Same, I've been specifically thinking about how Hostels can operate shared spaces, and the follow up to that for hiking clubs using huts and hostels.
I came to the conclusion that it's likely to be "phase 4" in Scottish parlance; and that's nae gonae be this year.
Ach weel at least we can sit oot in the pairk an enjoy the haar fae thirsday....

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #142 on: 15 June, 2020, 04:54:26 pm »
Until there is some change in regs/ guidelines from the government,  nothing will change for audax uk.
My advice is simple really, let the board do what it needs to do and in time events etc will return,  till then go ride your bike its great fun even with out a brevet card in your pocket,  trust me :thumbsup:
Wot he said^^^  :thumbsup:
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #143 on: 15 June, 2020, 05:07:03 pm »
Time trials are starting up next month. Solo perms seem like a no-brainer, given that the AUK Board are expecting a progressive restart of activities.

Limited entry X-rated calendar brevets might be the next stage but interested organisers will want some guidance ahead of time to be able to judge whether they want to run such an event.

All of this is, of course, contingent on the AUK Board confirming whether AUK will restart on a regional basis or a unified basis.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #144 on: 15 June, 2020, 07:20:19 pm »
Same, I've been specifically thinking about how Hostels can operate shared spaces, and the follow up to that for hiking clubs using huts and hostels.
I came to the conclusion that it's likely to be "phase 4" in Scottish parlance; and that's nae gonae be this year.
Ach weel at least we can sit oot in the pairk an enjoy the haar fae thirsday....
Nothing to do with Audax; but given how much dosh our YHA (& SYHA?) make from group bookings, they would seem nae trouble quite feasible for family groups. Same with bothys or small club huts. [Just leave a week between bookings, basically.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #145 on: 15 June, 2020, 07:47:55 pm »
Time trials are starting up next month. Solo perms seem like a no-brainer, given that the AUK Board are expecting a progressive restart of activities.

Limited entry X-rated calendar brevets might be the next stage but interested organisers will want some guidance ahead of time to be able to judge whether they want to run such an event.

All of this is, of course, contingent on the AUK Board confirming whether AUK will restart on a regional basis or a unified basis.
I cannot find any details on either the Scottish or UK websites about long distance travelling or indeed traveling around the UK and not in 'bubbles'. Can you please supply any references about this as it will be a minority subject. All I can find is stay at home and stay in bubbles. I can not find anything to support the idea that long distance cycling will be allowed, let along organised or encouraged. The CTT advice is very strange as all events are sanctioned by the police and there is advice to check that they still support events sanctioned.

Maybe this just my reading of the advice, but when camp sites will only under strict restrictions be able to operate showers I find it hard to see how long distance traveling and stopping to eat and drink will be supported.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

rob

« Reply #146 on: 15 June, 2020, 07:58:43 pm »
As it stands at the moment it is not definite that TTs are coming back.  It looks like club TTs could be first as they have limited numbers and are light on facilities.  Open events should follow afterwards but it is down to the organiser and district.  2 districts have already cancelled all their remaining 2020 events.  I think it will be 50:50.

Davef

« Reply #147 on: 15 June, 2020, 08:15:32 pm »

I cannot find any details on either the Scottish or UK websites about long distance travelling or indeed traveling around the UK and not in 'bubbles'. Can you please supply any references about this as it will be a minority subject. All I can find is stay at home and stay in bubbles. I can not find anything to support the idea that long distance cycling will be allowed, let along organised or encouraged. The CTT advice is very strange as all events are sanctioned by the police and there is advice to check that they still support events sanctioned.

Maybe this just my reading of the advice, but when camp sites will only under strict restrictions be able to operate showers I find it hard to see how long distance traveling and stopping to eat and drink will be supported.

BB
1.7 Are there restrictions on how far I can travel for my exercise or outdoor activity?
No. You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance, as long as you can return the same night and do not put others at risk because of services you may need in the time you are away. You should continue to avoid using public transport and should cycle, walk or drive wherever possible.

If visiting other parts of the UK – Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – you must adhere to the laws and guidance of the devolved administrations at all times.

You shouldn’t travel with someone from outside your household or, from 13 June, your support bubble unless you can practise social distancing - for example by cycling.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #148 on: 15 June, 2020, 08:20:04 pm »

BB

Point of order: TTs do not require police approval, they have an automatic right to happen as long as the police are informed with a legal minimum notice period.

« Reply #149 on: 15 June, 2020, 09:13:19 pm »
Currently all tt are suspended till at least the 5th of july, it seeme like half the country ( England)  they are expecting some big change to happen on the 4th of july!