Author Topic: Brevet cards and Royal Mail barstewards  (Read 2251 times)

Martin

Brevet cards and Royal Mail barstewards
« on: 27 April, 2011, 10:55:17 pm »
I'm just received a brevet card and route sheet (with poly bag) plus a couple of nice hand written note for a perm; inna C5 SAE and weiging not much at all;

the bastards have charged me £1.22 excess postage on it; have they nothing better to do than slide it in and out of the slot until it sticks and then charge me for the privilege?  >:( (should this go in Mrs Miles?)

has anyone else had this problem? I normally send out 6 DIY cards this way

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Brevet cards and Royal Mail barstewards
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2011, 11:12:34 pm »
As an employee of said organisation, I agree that the size-based pricing system can be unfair in certain circumstances, particularly to recipients who end up paying surcharges- unfortunately, if an item's a fraction too big in any one direction, it'll count as being the next size up. The organiser probably forgot to check this out beforehand- might I suggest you advise him/her of this for next time?
Some of us are nice people. Really.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2011, 11:22:02 pm »
The organiser probably forgot to check this out beforehand- might I suggest you advise him/her of this for next time?
Some of us are nice people. Really.

well actually it was my SAE  :-[ but apart from the poly bag it was no different to any other route sheet received from a postal entry; I do play safe with anything I send these days that I think might be over with a Large Letter stamp.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2011, 11:32:04 pm »
Might have been the weight that caught you out as well?

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »
Different sorting offices use different machines because, for some reason, I was told, they were allowed to choose their own. Some appear to be happy with an envelope that skims the sides of the slot (as many do if they're full of air - I always beat my C5s flat), others insist on the extra dosh.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2011, 08:17:54 am »
has anyone else had this problem? I normally send out 6 DIY cards this way

Given that (as you've discovered) it's the recipient who pays, not the sender - you might want to review that policy.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2011, 08:32:36 am »
Brevet card, poly bag and note shouldn't exceed the weight limit for a normal letter. I'm certainly surprised that it exceeded volume as well. I've sent out several things in the past that would have weighed more and filled more space.

The last time I fell foul of this I was in an odd position of being both the recipient and sender. We were living in two different houses at the time and I needed to send my partner's ID card to her at the other address. I handed it over at the post office and asked them to stamp and send if for me. The card dropped through the door the next time I was there a few days later and beyond the "first class" deadline so I went over to the collection office. When I recognised the envelope I complained as it was the Royal Mail (through business relationship with the Post Office) that had assessed and priced the envelope. The person behind the desk rechecked the envelope and confirmed that it did fit and waived the surcharge, refunded the stamp price and apologised for the inconvenience. Mind you, at that particular collection office, I did find the staff to be very friendly and helpful, which isn't always the case.

Anyway, should you get hauled to the collection office and reckon they're pushing it, ask them to demonstrate the excess there and then. I'm not sure what the rights are in this position, but I reckon any customer has the right to request a review of an applied surcharge before determining whether it should be paid.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2011, 08:44:03 am »
I sent back two Brevet cards (with receipts) plus a SAE to a perm organiser and he had to collect them from the sorting office.

:-[

If in doubt, use two stamps.

H

Alouicious

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:23:35 am »
If the organiser of an event lives within 40 miles of my home, I will hand deliver the application for the event by bicycle.

CURSES on Danial for moving to Todmorden,  ;D :thumbsup:  ;)

Not really. What's a few 2nd class stamps between friends.

I use DL size envelopes which can hold a brevet card, info sheet, routesheet and poly bag.

I sent Danial an excess amount of SAEs JIC. He's probably removed the postage stamps and used them. No worries.

I should include a couple of first class stamps with my next request for 6 cards from RF.

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2011, 09:19:06 pm »
oh the shame; :-[ :-[ :-[

I've caused El S himself to have to go and pay the ransom to retrieve one of my entries; the envelope was 12mm too big;

He says he gets quite a few so if your entries never arrive either with the organiser (or back to you ) that could be the reason...

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2011, 11:14:27 am »

Zoom
Actually it was 5358 square millimetres over! The max size of a letter is 240mm x 165mm, yours was 254mm x177mm, you really must destroy all your old stock! It has to be at least 5 years old. If it is any consolation, I made the same mistake in the Autumn of 2006 when I sent EL an oversized envelope with postage to pay, I have had to volunteer to help on all his events as part of the reparation.
Now about that Perm we are doing in August..........
Love Lurcio
Don't get these problems online :facepalm:
Put my medals on the table....you must be jokimg!