Author Topic: "I've been creeping around your house and I like it"  (Read 5428 times)

"I've been creeping around your house and I like it"
« on: 08 January, 2009, 11:10:48 pm »
Does anyone else get those letters shoved through their letterbox along the lines of "Dear Sir/madam, I notice that down the private drive adjacent to your house, past your private garden, and out of sight from the public you have a garage. If you would be interested in leasing it to me please call xxxxxxx"?

Or worse, the ones from estate agents "Our client Mr Gardener is looking to buy a property in this road and has identified yours as suitable, so please call us".

It may be the cuture shock from moving from the countryside to a town centre, but I find this level of intrusion both creepy and disturbing. Would it be wrong to reply to the estate agent telling them "Fuck Off and if I catch Mr Gardener snooping around within ten yards of our place I will be applying for a restraining order"?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Julian

• samoture
Re: "I've been creeping around your house and I like it"
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:15:26 pm »
Replying like that is positively a good thing.  :thumbsup:

Although they don't actually come snooping round people's houses on the offchance of identifying the perfect garage.  They get the information on who has a garage / who has a property matching xyz description from the street plans and Land Registry and send out the flyers accordingly.  Mr Gardener will not, sadly, be meeting a bloodthirsty Kitty unexpectedly on a dark night.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:16:41 pm »
I live about a hundred yards from about 6 estate agents' offices (fewer than some months ago   ;D). I get them all the time. Just get recycled.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:17:35 pm »
Until the arse fell out of the estate agenting business last year, we used to get two or three "would you like to sell? letters a week from the local slimesters. 

When I got bored, I used to phone them up and tell them that I'd love them to come round and value my place and arrange a time and a date.

Giving the address of a house just up the road  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:20:15 pm »

Very well: how is your Google-fu?

We're looking for the home address of a Mr Andrew Booker, Senior Branch Manager of Gascoigne-Pees estate agents (Leatherhead).  ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:20:30 pm »
I live about a hundred yards from about 6 estate agents' offices (fewer than some months ago   ;D). I get them all the time. Just get recycled.

Within 50m of the corner of Upper Richmond Road and Putney High Street there are 20 different estate agents.

Two have gone in the last few weeks. I rarely wish ill of anyone but if another has to go please let it be Foxtons. *****.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:20:50 pm »
I got a leaflet through my door from an estate agent asking me if I'd like to sell as they had buyers waiting.

I hadn't the heart to tell them that they'd sold me the house just two weeks previously...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:21:34 pm »

We're looking for the home address of a Mr Andrew Booker, Senior Branch Manager of Gascoigne-Pees estate agents (Leatherhead).  ;D

Are you going to hand deliver the letter to his private garage?

;D

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:23:14 pm »
I rarely wish ill of anyone but if another has to go please let it be Foxtons. *****.

+ infinity.  No returns.

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:23:38 pm »

Are you going to hand deliver the letter to his private garage?

;D

I thought I'd post it through his letterbox.

Sellotaped to a Kitty. ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:30:14 pm »
Apply for a job

Branch Administrator
BRANCH ADMINISTRATOR IN REIGATE. Friendly and Outgoing administrator with Microsoft and audio skills required to cover 6 months maternity leave. Able to work on own initative. Salary according to experience. Apply to Andrew Booker, Gascoigne Pees. 01737 244422 Benefits: Contact: Further info:
It is simpler than it looks.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:38:00 pm »
Foxtons are great for a free coffee though. At least my local is.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:39:52 pm »
Although they don't actually come snooping round people's houses on the offchance of identifying the perfect garage.

No, they just come snooping around people's houses to stick additional fliers to your garage door and under your car's windscreen wiper. You'd have thought the fact that the car is not parked in a garage is sufficient clue that there is either no garage, or the garage is full of other gumph. ::-)

« Reply #13 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:43:56 pm »

(Spaces added to avoid further searches matching).

At a guess I'd say it's the one listed on 192.com as a 45-49 year old AND REW P BOO KER sharing a house with what looks like his wife and daughter.

Go to 192.com and search for that name with a location of "Surrey". You'll need to register with 192.com to see the details (and actually you'll need to buy credits at about £2 a pop).

[EDIT] You don't even need to do that give that he's in the phone book and the other people listed at that address have names of the same length. (Click the Other Occupants link and you'll see the crossed out entries from the Electoral Roll).

The info comes from the Electoral Register so you could just go down to the local council office to read it for free.

Again, this is just a guess.

[EDIT] Searching on 192.com is interesting. It pops me up as a Director (of the company that owns the Freehold of our flat) and a few other entries. I can also find both of my brothers quite easily.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #14 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:53:04 pm »
Within 50m of the corner of Upper Richmond Road and Putney High Street there are 20 different estate agents.

9 of them were adjacent to each other.

I hope some of them go.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #15 on: 08 January, 2009, 11:54:12 pm »

At a guess I'd say it's the one listed on 192.com as a 45-49 year old AND REW P BOO KER sharing a house with what looks like his wife and daughter.

Go to 192.com and search for that name with a location of "Surrey". You'll need to register with 192.com to see the details.

[EDIT] You don't even need to do that give that he's in the phone book and the other people listed at that address have names of the same length. (Click the Other Occupants link and you'll see the crossed out entries from the Electoral Roll).

The info comes from the Electoral Register.

Well, if that *is* him, he's got one of those chavvy giant trampolines in his back garden. But it might be a different Andrew Booker. ;)

« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2009, 11:19:27 am »
I rarely wish ill of anyone but if another has to go please let it be Foxtons. *****.

The estate agents* that let our house, lied to our faces about the content of the contract and later tried to put the rent up without the landlady's permission** have had to close their local office. I was rather too pleased. My wife told me off.

Dave

* Davis Tate, if you're interested. 2008 NAEA Estate Agency of the Year – Best Medium Agency, Silver Award.  ::-)
**The landlady lives nextdoor and we talk to her often enough to know that she'd instructed them not to put the rent up.

border-rider

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:48:45 pm »
S'OK

They're not long for this world.  Foxtons are teetering

Foxtons stuck in housing market slump -
            Business News, Business - The Independent

If it gets their fecking Minis* off the road then I can't wait for them to go under...

*Which always seem to be driven badly by spotty youths...  >:(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:53:43 pm »

Go to 192.com and search for that name with a location of "Surrey". You'll need to register with 192.com to see the details.

The info comes from the Electoral Register.

Well, if that *is* him, he's got one of those chavvy giant trampolines in his back garden. But it might be a different Andrew Booker. ;)

Write him a letter.  Tell him that you're looking to buy a big trampoline and, when you were wandering around the area of his house, you noticed that he has one not in use in the back garden.

« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:57:51 pm »
Who owns the 'private' drive?   

"Dear Sir/madam, I notice that down the private drive adjacent to your house, past your private garden, and out of sight from the public you have a garage. If you would be interested in leasing it to me please call xxxxxxx"?

That could amount to trespass to land that could.   Threaten to sue the git  :D

alan

« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:46:23 pm »

When I got bored, I used to phone them up and tell them that I'd love them to come round and value my place and arrange a time and a date.

I love that :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:50:58 pm »

I love that :thumbsup:

Except for the poor sod whose house it was.  Unless it was a twunt with a 4x4, in which case you were fully justified!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

border-rider

« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:59:35 pm »
Unless it was a twunt with a 4x4, in which case you were fully justified!

Or Mr Andrew Booker, Senior Branch Manager of Gascoigne-Pees estate agents (Leatherhead)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #24 on: 09 January, 2009, 05:20:00 pm »