Author Topic: How long could you survive in the vacuum of space?  (Read 3618 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: How long could you survive in the vacuum of space?
« Reply #25 on: 18 June, 2008, 01:49:46 pm »
That is soooo geeky

1 minute 23 seconds

« Reply #26 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:46:34 pm »
I was wondering the same thing after watching the scene in 2001 where the guy crosses from the little ship into the big ship after Hal says, "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that".

Turns out you get about 10 seconds useful consciousness in the vacuum of space. Enough time to dive over and press a switch. One atmosphere is only about 14 PSI so you don't blow up. Set the cabin air to pure oxygen and dial the pressure right down to minimise decompression on leaving the craft.

Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us -
Human Exposure to the Vacuum of Space

« Reply #27 on: 19 June, 2008, 02:23:44 pm »
1.29, however a definition of fitness does need to be established.  Due to the fact I hauled myself round a 600, I decided I was athletic  ;D

« Reply #28 on: 19 June, 2008, 02:28:17 pm »
In the first 30 seconds any fluid on the surface of your body would begin to boil due to lack of ambient pressure, this includes the saliva on your tongue and the moisture in your eyes. Your eardrums would most likely burst due to the pressure in your body trying to equalize with the vacuum outside. Unlike what some science fiction films have suggested, your body would not explode.

After the first 15 seconds you would lose consciousness. If you held your breath you could potentially stay alive longer but you risk pulmonary trauma. If you didn't hold your breath you'd pass out sooner, but your lungs might have a better chance of avoiding permanent damage.

The pressure in your veins would rise until your heart no longer had the capacity to pump blood, at which point you'd die.

Pah, I've had worse hangovers than that...

ian

« Reply #29 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:58:55 am »
1 minute 23 seconds.

But I think I'd get better with practice.