Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105106 times)

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #275 on: 15 October, 2014, 03:20:49 pm »
I have been an advocate of triple chain rings for a long time.  A 30 x most commercial cassettes makes a lot of sense for sustained 10%+ climbing, especially the likes of Bwlch-y-Groes after several hundred kilometres.

Interestingly enough, when Zizag and I went to the Alps ended up climbing most of those in about 30 x 23.  Neither of us are known to dawdle on the climbs.  Most of the time it was difficult for us to benchmark our speed but on Alpe d'Huez we were sailing past most of the punters who were struggling on (for them) overgeared compact chainsets.  It's not just having a very low gear that helps, but having a choice of very low gears.

I'm summoning up courage to talk to Mrs CET about next year, but likelihood is last week of July for the 8A.  That gives me 4 weeks to recover for PBP and also fits in with family holidays.  I'm interested in Rabbit's ultra-light bivi approach as that would be good on the 8A, I could then do it by train using Caersws as an additional control/start/finish point and not have to worry about a drive home.

Yeah, I think lower gears are often a real benefit if they are used appropriately (rather than immediately at the slightest incline!)

I run a 34 * 32 as my lowest, but I am pondering whether the compact would function well with a 32 chainring on the front instead of the 34, to give me a 1:1 ratio as I think this would give just a little more leeway without having the expense and weight of a triple. 

Last week of July would work well for me.  I have a block of 600s from end of May to Mid June (Beast of the East, K&S then Blacksheeps) so it'll give me a good week recovery and then a steady climbing block of training for the end of July. 
Does not play well with others

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #276 on: 15 October, 2014, 03:27:20 pm »
I've booked the Pendle for July and there's no way I'll be able too free up more time before that French ride, but I'll give the Cambrian SR a go, so you'd better get that medal sorted sharpish, coz I'll be wanting one now I've gone and done the 6A. :thumbsup:

« Reply #277 on: 15 October, 2014, 04:51:34 pm »
It's not just having a very low gear that helps, but having a choice of very low gears.

IME too for Alps / Pyrenees etc nice to have a a range low gears with a 30T backup gear --didn`t get used much, mostly the 34 x 27 or 24, ( eg  Luz Ardidnen / Superbagneres on the 27)  but knowing it was there to use was a good psychological / morale booster.... Dolomites though luvved to bits the 32 ;D

8A ?? still  maybe---but Rabbit will be off like a shot up the hills ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #278 on: 15 October, 2014, 05:08:16 pm »
A compact crank cannot mount a 32t chainring. The smallest standard ring for a 110mm PCD is 34t, though the rare 33t ring will also fit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #279 on: 15 October, 2014, 05:15:04 pm »
A compact crank cannot mount a 32t chainring. The smallest standard ring for a 110mm PCD is 34t, though the rare 33t ring that will also fit.

PMP used to do (Campag) @ 33t but I`ve never found another one once it wore out

Otherwise it`s go to a Middleburn with their new road crankset I`d think
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #280 on: 15 October, 2014, 05:17:22 pm »
A compact crank cannot mount a 32t chainring. The smallest standard ring for a 110mm PCD is 34t, though the rare 33t ring that will also fit.

Oh, that's a shame.  I just assumed I could stick an MTB one on and all would be groovy if it didn't keep dropping the chain.   :facepalm:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #281 on: 15 October, 2014, 05:20:34 pm »

Yeah well, that's just something we're going to have to get used to.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #282 on: 15 October, 2014, 05:37:36 pm »
TA sell 33t 110PCD rings.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #283 on: 15 October, 2014, 06:04:30 pm »

Yeah well, that's just something we're going to have to get used to.

Unless I get fat at Christmas of course ;)

TA sell 33t 110PCD rings.

Ta  :thumbsup:  Just found one on the wigglemachine - £26.  I may well invest to see if it works well/shifts well.  Every little helps with a fully laden bike.  I really noticed the extra weight at the weekend on the climbs. 

« Reply #284 on: 15 October, 2014, 06:24:22 pm »
You could of course always ask Santa for an MTB `compact` ie one of the 44/29 combinations---with a 12 smallest cog you`d still have a high enough gear for most uses, and a 29 x 32 winching gear too ::-)

And maybe Santa could feed you up on lots weight gaining special  vegan mince pies too ;)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #285 on: 16 October, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »
The other advantage of the triple is having the 53 x 11 for those long fast descents you can get on some Cambrian rides (eg the A483 between Llandod and Newtown) where pedalling gives you 50kph+ with ease and coasting only gives you 30kph.  Gives you more time for cake stops.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #286 on: 28 October, 2014, 11:11:29 pm »
Congrats Rabbit & Adam !!!!

Gearing  ;)

I have a FSA chainset which is 50:33

It runs with my DI2 eleven speed chain width & 12:28 cassette

33:28 is maybe not quite a winching gear but I've had no problems with hills like Park Rash, Devils thingy, etc
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #287 on: 29 October, 2014, 09:11:21 pm »
Congrats Rabbit & Adam !!!!

Gearing  ;)

I have a FSA chainset which is 50:33

It runs with my DI2 eleven speed chain width & 12:28 cassette

33:28 is maybe not quite a winching gear but I've had no problems with hills like Park Rash, Devils thingy, etc

Thanks Mikey  :thumbsup:

I have purchased a TA 33t ring and shall be putting it on the bike for my first 200 km (fully flat DIY!) back this weekend.  Have been nursing the ankle since the 6A and it's taken, as expected, time to heal, but it is much better now.  It's fine riding the MTB, but being clipped in on the roadie is a little different.

Will be glad when I can get back to the Cambrians, but can't risk rushing it.  There is all next year to think of  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #288 on: 29 October, 2014, 09:36:54 pm »
The Cambrians are much better once the threat of icy stuff has gone.   There are a lot of surprising frost hollows around, especially in the area around Llandrindod Wells and Builth Wells, which are surrounded by high hills, and there aren't many people who can do the 200s in the daylight hours of November - February.    Although I had a memorable day in April 2005 doing the 2A with snow showers (not settling).  My first ever Cambrian Series ride.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #289 on: 30 October, 2014, 06:59:37 am »
The Cambrians are much better once the threat of icy stuff has gone.   There are a lot of surprising frost hollows around, especially in the area around Llandrindod Wells and Builth Wells, which are surrounded by high hills, and there aren't many people who can do the 200s in the daylight hours of November - February.    Although I had a memorable day in April 2005 doing the 2A with snow showers (not settling).  My first ever Cambrian Series ride.

it`s easy underestimate just how different weather / temp can be around here too--Radnorshire is one of most upland counties in UK, many roads are above 350m , temp here (in Radnor Valley) is often 2-3 c cooler than Hereford etc just because we`re at the 200m level cf Hereford 40m.

And as CET says there are plenty frost pockets, eg near Penybont it`s often 5c colder on a frosty morning than @ home on other side Radnor Hills; St Harmon was once UK lowest night low at below -25 c .  Snowfall too can be very localised--March 2013 we had over 30cm, with 25 nights belwo zero that month too, Builth had 5 cm due to easterly airflow being blocked off by Radnor Hills (which have a surprisingly big effect on weather locally)

But it`s still a great area to live , work and cycle in  ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #290 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:35:42 am »

Gearing  ;)

Gearing eh!........I've heard of that and am now on the experiment to revamp the Old Jalopy for hilly.

11-34, 8 speed rear with an XT 9 speed rear long cage derailleur combined with the new 38T inner chainring and 53T outer.

That way I can keep the shiny Dura Ace cranks, down tube shifters and other lovely 80's bits and give me an easy 1/2 hr switch and a wheel change from flat to hilly stylee.

Cancel the new bike and save the spons !!

Bill so far £41.97  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #291 on: 01 November, 2014, 09:58:57 pm »
8A is on!  24th - 26th July.  Agreed schedule with Mrs CET today.  Perfect time to fill the gap between PBP qualification and PBP.  If others are interested maybe can sort out some logistics..  ;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #292 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:30:03 am »
8A is on!  24th - 26th July.  Agreed schedule with Mrs CET today.  Perfect time to fill the gap between PBP qualification and PBP.  If others are interested maybe can sort out some logistics..  ;D :thumbsup:

What are you planning for overnight stops?

« Reply #293 on: 02 November, 2014, 01:41:11 pm »
To rabbit et al or anybody looking for an "easier" route from Abergavenny to Monmouth, without hitting a busy dual carriageway. I suggest the B4598 which goes to Raglan and then through Mitchell Troy. Quiet, flatish and much better than the A40.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #294 on: 02 November, 2014, 03:06:26 pm »

Toilets....You know you love toilets Rabbit.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #295 on: 02 November, 2014, 03:24:53 pm »

Not sure yet.  When I set the route up, as a figure of 8 I assumed an overnight stop at the crossover in Llanidloes.  However, unless you are Swiss Hat then whichever half of the eight you start with will take close to 24 hours so isn't an overnight stop.  Although I'm still tempted to drive to a lay-by near Llanidloes as I could stretch out in my old Volvo and get a couple of hours kip.

So my next thought was to take a train to somewhere en route (such as Caersws, which I used as my start/finish for the 4C last year), with a lunchtime start, then ride through the first night, and have pre booked accommodation for the second night (there is a Premier Inn in Aberdare).

The third option I've considered is to start early in the morning in Knighton, take a bivvy bag and find a quiet place just of the road when I get too tired to focus on the road, and then use Aberdare as the second overnight stop. 

What I've done on the 400s is to look at the distance of each leg and amount of climbing on each leg which gives me a rough idea of how long I will take.  Generally I'm best if I spend midnight to 4am asleep or not moving.  So I was going to spend a bit more time on the above three strategies to see if they make sense.

« Reply #296 on: 02 November, 2014, 07:05:38 pm »

Toilets....You know you love toilets Rabbit.

Well indeed, especially heated ones  :thumbsup:

Not sure yet.  When I set the route up, as a figure of 8 I assumed an overnight stop at the crossover in Llanidloes.  However, unless you are Swiss Hat then whichever half of the eight you start with will take close to 24 hours so isn't an overnight stop.  Although I'm still tempted to drive to a lay-by near Llanidloes as I could stretch out in my old Volvo and get a couple of hours kip.

So my next thought was to take a train to somewhere en route (such as Caersws, which I used as my start/finish for the 4C last year), with a lunchtime start, then ride through the first night, and have pre booked accommodation for the second night (there is a Premier Inn in Aberdare).

The third option I've considered is to start early in the morning in Knighton, take a bivvy bag and find a quiet place just of the road when I get too tired to focus on the road, and then use Aberdare as the second overnight stop. 

What I've done on the 400s is to look at the distance of each leg and amount of climbing on each leg which gives me a rough idea of how long I will take.  Generally I'm best if I spend midnight to 4am asleep or not moving.  So I was going to spend a bit more time on the above three strategies to see if they make sense.

I am interested in the 8A, but I am not sure about having the additional weight of the camp kit again.  I suspect that the additional weight on the bike was a big part of the ankle issue.  Although on a 'normal' 600 I am sure it would be fine, with the Cambrian style climbing toll I am wondering whether it would be better (for me) to have a proper bunk spot lined up, thus leaving sleeping kit etc behind.  However, it was the first time I had even tried to ride with the fully laden bike so maybe building up a bit over this season may be beneficial.  I have already started work on ankle strengthening exercises  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #297 on: 03 November, 2014, 05:16:24 pm »
Although I was never a good enough mountaineer to contemplate light & fast vs steady and comfortable, I think the 8A prompts the same decision.  If the weather is good I would be happy with a lightweight bivi bag, then everything could fit into a saddlebag.  I recall that both the successful 8As have been done in the dry.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #298 on: 03 November, 2014, 05:53:48 pm »
"both"

;D

That reminds me of an interesting stat; more people have climbed Everest than have swum the channel.
If only they knew ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #299 on: 03 November, 2014, 06:15:22 pm »
Figure of 8 routes don't work very well for 800s unless it's an easy 800 and you are fast enough to comfortably ride 400km in under 20 hours.
You're committed to two nights (or 3 if you start at night)
A 6am start would mean a 6pm finish, which I think is a good compromise between not starting too early and having time on the last day to recover time lost sleeping.
You'd need to cover 320km in 24 hours. So 6am till midnight or thereabouts for 4-5 hours sleep. Then repeat, leaving you until 6pm on the last day to cover the last 160km.
Instead of bivying, maybe you could pitch tents in strategical campsites on the route.