Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 868053 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2125 on: 19 April, 2012, 09:45:04 pm »
But he's prepared to tolerate me, so he can't be all that strict.

I assume it's the same CTC minority group box-ticking exercise that means he keeps letting me come along ;)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2126 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:01:58 pm »
Pedals - MKS Sylvans

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2127 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »
I carried two Super C front panniers on my bike to Whitstable so we could stop at the in-laws'
Getting there...

« Reply #2128 on: 20 April, 2012, 10:10:48 am »
A gleaming pair of Shimano R650 callipers arrived from Ribbleworld this morning - some nice engineering, with bland looks.

« Reply #2129 on: 20 April, 2012, 10:56:24 am »
Magicshine battery bag, although I don't have a Magicshine battery. It's the right size for a 6V 4.5 AH Nimh pack (five 18670 cells soldered in series) I recently came into possession of.

A set of spare Magicshine O rings.

Brompton rear mudguard.

Four pump clips (two velcro straps through a plastic block, one for the frame tube, one for the pump or whatever) from Dealextreme.
All except the Dealextreme pump clips have just arrived! Chapeau to Simpsons Cycles & Magicshineuk.co.uk.

The Nimh pack is a perfect fit in the bag, which is a relief. It looked as if it should fit, but I wasn't 100% sure. As soon as I've wired on a DC socket & waterproofed it (the bag is not waterproof) I'm in business.

Dinky little bag, with a metal-rimmed hole in one end for a cable to go through, & rather long velcro straps, fit for the fattest MTB top tube. Has a bit of padding.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2130 on: 20 April, 2012, 06:24:23 pm »
A new chain for the Dawes (SRAM PC-991), and a Capreo lockring tool.

« Reply #2131 on: 20 April, 2012, 08:14:06 pm »
Dual Pull brake lever.

Had to be done, I think.

Kim: can you send over photies, please?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2132 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:04:59 pm »
Dual Pull brake lever.

Kim: can you send over photies, please?

PM in the works...

« Reply #2133 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:22:56 pm »
After much deliberation, and finally prompted by the week's forecast, ordered a Parambo Velez Adventure Light Smock, colour? Butternut!  :thumbsup:

Frere

« Reply #2134 on: 20 April, 2012, 11:43:57 pm »
Presunktly  Risk minimisation, innit.  He's against things and ppl that will or may cause annoyance, irritation and delay to a large group of other riders.
He is also against them having a miserable time themselves.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2135 on: 22 April, 2012, 07:22:37 pm »
I haz Weelz! As I believe the vernacular haz it. Collected wheels for project bike from LBS, rebuilt on original high flange hubs with Mavic Open something (sore?) rims. They look very smart, so I'm pleased.

And after posting a wanted ad on the forum some weeks ago for a single band-on cable stop that elicited no response and not being able to find anything suitable on EBay, I bought a rather nice alloy one from SJS. It wasn't too expensive but the postage doubled the cost. A few hours later I found a Shimano one in the garage. Bugger.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2136 on: 23 April, 2012, 12:48:39 pm »
And now, I haz forkz! A rather elegant pair from a Roberts road bike in 531, obtained through a rather strange route via a colleague in the office. Popped down the seller’s office at Cornhill at lunchtime to pick them up. Am chuffed!  ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2137 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:10:53 pm »
New Ergon grips for my commuter.

Also bought a computer and lights for a bike that I have yet to purchase.  ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2138 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »
To fit with the second-hand bits theme for my raleigh, I've just bought a stronglight chainset and BB on cyclechat
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2139 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:36:45 pm »
I've just got an 11000mAh external battery pack to keep my Garmin Edge 800 alive on longer rides.
Seems to work OK, but I've not tested it to destruction yet.

« Reply #2140 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:57:59 pm »
I have sort of, but I'm not telling you about it yet :)

« Reply #2141 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:59:10 pm »
I've just got an 11000mAh external battery pack to keep my Garmin Edge 800 alive on longer rides.

11000mAh! Link please. That might keep my phone, Edge and Kindle all alive on tour.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2142 on: 25 April, 2012, 11:01:35 pm »

11000mAh! Link please. That might keep my phone, Edge and Kindle all alive on tour.

Why don't they ust call it 11 Ah?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2143 on: 25 April, 2012, 11:02:18 pm »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013KD7U6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Why don't they ust call it 11 Ah?

Indeed!
I guess it's because the capacities began in sensible mAh units, and as they increased, they had to advertise them as bigger numbers.

11?
Only 11?
That's shit.  There's ones on t'Internet with thousands...

« Reply #2144 on: 25 April, 2012, 11:06:23 pm »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013KD7U6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Thanks for that. Looks just the thing I need... must... resist...one...click...amazon...

oops

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2145 on: 26 April, 2012, 12:13:41 am »
I've never been entirely sure what they're quoting with these amp-hour values anyway: is it the capacity of the battery (so amp-hours at a nominal 3.7V, making the sweeping assumption that we're dealing with a 1SnP lithium-ion/lipo battery) or of the whole unit (so amp-hours at a nominal 5.0V)?

I assume the former, because the logical watt-hours figure would be more useful and less impressive.

Either way, these go to 11  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2146 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:12:40 am »
To fit with the second-hand bits theme for my raleigh, I've just bought a stronglight chainset and BB on cyclechat

How is the old RED beast? Going well, I hope.

Incidentally I still have a tent in the garage that you need to collect :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2147 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:36:09 am »
...Either way, these go to 11  :thumbsup:

Curses!  She stole my line. :(
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2148 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:41:38 am »

Going very well (and I still owe you some money for it). So far I've done two audaxes on the bike and it's coming to York tomorrow to do the FNRttC (and SMRbtY). There's definitely a different feel to a steel frame from the Alu ones I've ridden in the past. :)

I'd forgotten about the tent  :-[ I don't suppose you are going to be at home Saturday afternoon/evening are you as I'll be driving past NTR on the shiny new A1(M) after the Hull ride?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2149 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:42:49 am »

Going very well (and I still owe you some money for it). So far I've done two audaxes on the bike and it's coming to York tomorrow to do the FNRttC (and SMRbtY). There's definitely a different feel to a steel frame from the Alu ones I've ridden in the past. :)

I'd forgotten about the tent  :-[ I don't suppose you are going to be at home Saturday afternoon/evening are you as I'll be driving past NTR on the shiny new A1(M) after the Hull ride?

Yes, we will be in, have tidying to do ready for next weekend.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State