Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 868024 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3025 on: 10 February, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »
A couple of Twofish bike locks to keep the pumps out of the grot.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3026 on: 11 February, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »
A Carradice Nelson saddle bag in free range duck, and a Shimano chain.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3027 on: 12 February, 2013, 10:23:44 am »
Ordered a while ago, but only just shipped, 2* 10l Musto dry bags (if they are good enough for onboard racing yaughts, they will be fine for cycling) and 2 merino base layers, all from SportPursuit.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3028 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:23:26 pm »
12 first class stamps.

Working out how these are 'cycling stuff' is left as an exercise for the reader.

Oh, and a set of tri-bars for the yellow Genesis  :o

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3029 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:27:52 pm »
Are they rubber stamps that could be glued to an inner tube in an emergency?
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

fuzzy

« Reply #3030 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »
To send off applications to event organisers?

The post Grinks to purveyors of Fine Cycling Facilities?

Is 12 1st class stamps enough postage to get yourself mailed to the start of a Majorcan training camp?

caerau

« Reply #3031 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:39:02 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-HoCVAqcx4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/s-HoCVAqcx4&rel=1</a>

;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3032 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »
Indeed it is.
I'm in the process of entering my first calendar audaxes for at least 10 years.

The post Grinks to purveyors of Fine Cycling Facilities?
Nah - I prefer to get up close and personal whilst wielding a torque wrench.
In addition, given the general state of York's, ahem, facilities I don't think there are enough stamps or green ink in the known universe.

Is 12 1st class stamps enough postage to get yourself mailed to the start of a Majorcan training camp?
Now that's something I'm prepared to try ... a mate of mine is currently in Majorca at the moment and from what I can gather from his Facebook updates the weather is disgustingly nice.

fuzzy

« Reply #3033 on: 13 February, 2013, 03:11:04 pm »
Now that's something I'm prepared to try ... a mate of mine is currently in Majorca at the moment and from what I can gather from his Facebook updates the weather is disgustingly nice.

I rented a bike pod to a bloke on Sunday. His wife has decamped to somewhere for a week or so doing something so he asked himself- a week at home in front of the TV or a week in Palma riding his bike?

I don't think he can sit in the pod watching TV so am guessing he went to Palma :thumbsup:

« Reply #3034 on: 13 February, 2013, 10:22:00 pm »
A cheap pair of Eggbeaters, as an experiment to see how I get on with them.  They seem to work better for some people than others, and there doesn't seem to be a clear reason why, other than presumably pedalling style (although which seems to wear them out faster isn't clear).

They're obviously easier to engage the cleats to (excepting some of the newer ones with platforms), so it's worth an experiment, except that I'll have shoes with both SPDs and Eggbeater cleats, so I had better make sure I put the right set on!
Actually, it is rocket science.

caerau

« Reply #3035 on: 13 February, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »
A pair of mudguards for my other half's bike and a pair of crudracer guards for my racemachine just arrived from Wiggle.  Ooh the excitment-  now I'm in a quandry of which bike to use for the Gospel Pass Audax next week since both of them will by then be mudguarded up... Hmmm.  Light and high-geared or heavy but low geared...?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3036 on: 14 February, 2013, 01:39:47 pm »
Some of those band on bottle cage mounts, for Project Ratbike, which currently is sans bottle cage and therefore bottle. Dehydration, even in Sunday's deluge was something of an issue.

And a repair kit for my Topeak Road Masterblaster, as the wee rubber grommet is shagged and slips off the valve before a suitable pressure is attained.

Both these from the (former) Bandits of Bridgwater, who seem to have a more reasonable P&P charge these days.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

tiermat

« Reply #3037 on: 14 February, 2013, 02:11:04 pm »
A disc brake mount to go on the DY (a new project, after I get the garage cleared).

Now trying to work out what brakes to go for, my head is saying "Go for BB7 road, as you already have a set of them and you will only need to keep one set of spare pads" my heart is saying "Look at the new batch of mechanical road disc brakes that are coming along (Hayes CX5, Shimano BR-R515 etc)"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3038 on: 14 February, 2013, 02:16:07 pm »
A black Fizik Arione, my b17 is going back on the mtb. The spa Aire doesn't look right on the new bike either so that's back on the winter fixed shi**er.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3039 on: 14 February, 2013, 03:09:36 pm »
A disc brake mount to go on the DY (a new project, after I get the garage cleared).

Now trying to work out what brakes to go for, my head is saying "Go for BB7 road, as you already have a set of them and you will only need to keep one set of spare pads" my heart is saying "Look at the new batch of mechanical road disc brakes that are coming along (Hayes CX5, Shimano BR-R515 etc)"

Off the back of this http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/reviews/on-test-hayes-cx-5-mechanical-disc-brake-calipers/ , with a BB7 already, I'd stick with 'em

« Reply #3040 on: 14 February, 2013, 03:46:30 pm »
A B&M Luxos U,

Well I've ordered one, now I have to wait.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3041 on: 14 February, 2013, 03:56:02 pm »
A new pair of overshoes, to replace the ones that were sacrificed to the snow gods last night.

« Reply #3042 on: 14 February, 2013, 03:56:35 pm »

What about BB7SL ?
Best of both worlds; new and shiny, old and familiar  ;D

tiermat

« Reply #3043 on: 14 February, 2013, 04:02:10 pm »

What about BB7SL ?

AND....

<tap tap tap>

:o HOW MUCH!!!!

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #3044 on: 14 February, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »
yes a San Marco Rolls saddle for my new surly cross check  :thumbsup:   just need some time to ride  :-[
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #3045 on: 15 February, 2013, 12:27:41 am »

What about BB7SL ?

AND....

<tap tap tap>

:o HOW MUCH!!!!

I think that as well.
No doubt they'll come down in price after a few months.
I certainly hope so since I'll be kitting a new frame out soon.
Or maybe not so soon. I'm dealing with Enigma after all............

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3046 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:46:53 pm »
A pair of Campag downtube shifters on Ebay...whoops!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3047 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:58:47 pm »
Today: A chain and a Deda Dog Fang (chain catcher)
Tomorrow: A rear mech hanger

Would anyone like to guess what I did yesterday? (Hint: see my latest thread.)

Separately, and not related to any of yesterday's misdemeanours, two rims for two bikes: an Exal LX17 and a Rigida Chrina

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3048 on: 17 February, 2013, 10:07:26 pm »

« Reply #3049 on: 17 February, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »
Crud Roadracers mk. 2
 ;D