Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 868083 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3825 on: 03 February, 2014, 02:40:15 pm »
A Supernova E3 Triple headlamp, in green to match the bike it'll be fitted to.

Bank account says 'ouch!'

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3826 on: 03 February, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »
Ultegra 6800 carbon SPD-SL pedals, about half price at Wiggle. Oh no, more Haribo ;D

Bum. I seem to have bought two pairs.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3827 on: 03 February, 2014, 02:48:02 pm »
Ultegra 6800 carbon SPD-SL pedals, about half price at Wiggle. Oh no, more Haribo ;D

Bum. I seem to have bought two pairs.
Lamest excuse for n+1. Ever. ;D

(but it'd totally work for me ...)

TimC

« Reply #3828 on: 03 February, 2014, 07:11:51 pm »
Hmm. They're for the N+1 I'm building right now. I can't (cannot. No way. Over several dead bodies) do N+2.

OK, you talked me into it.

Git.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3829 on: 04 February, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »
Hmm. They're for the N+1 I'm building right now. I can't (cannot. No way. Over several dead bodies) do N+2.

OK, you talked me into it.

Git.
O:-)

Just ordered some spare leads for my eWerk from the LBS - turns out that Amba Marketing are distributors for both B&M and Supernova so my eWerk leads and uber-badass dynamo light will arrive at the same time  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3830 on: 04 February, 2014, 03:36:39 pm »
Yeah. My TT bike is a never ending pit of expenditure. Just bought another wheel. Might as well remortage the house for the price of stupid wheels.

TimC

« Reply #3831 on: 04 February, 2014, 04:29:11 pm »
I've never done a TT, nor owned a TT bike...

Interzen, you are truly a git. ;D ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3832 on: 04 February, 2014, 04:58:49 pm »
I've never done a TT, nor owned a TT bike... until now

Interzen, you are truly a git. ;D ;D
FTFY ;)

« Reply #3833 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:52:49 pm »
Road Racer XL mudguards for me (they're going to get a lot of use if this weather continues) and a Fizik saddle "blinky light" for Helen.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3834 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:57:28 pm »
A Carradice Super C Saddlepack.  :thumbsup:

And I also took a punt on one of those cute wee top tube "panniers" for £4.75 off ebay  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321210135748&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160.
Not sure how well made it will be for that price  ???, but should be useful for storing brevet card / munchies on audaxes!    :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3835 on: 05 February, 2014, 05:45:42 pm »
Spare leads for my eWerk, since I'm building a switchbox which will let me switch between the eWerk and dynamo light on the Divide bike in a faff-free manner.

Strictly speaking, they were 'bought' a couple of days ago but I email the LBS to confirm which leads I needed and quantities thereof. Also, some electronic bits and bobs off the 'bay for aforementioned switchbox and assorted other electrickery-powered bike-related projects.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3836 on: 07 February, 2014, 12:17:07 pm »
Finally made the decision and ordered roof bars and a couple cycle carriers. Now I'm riding a MTB round muddy lanes chicking it in the back of the car is becomming messy.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3837 on: 07 February, 2014, 12:25:08 pm »
Finally made the decision and ordered roof bars and a couple cycle carriers. Now I'm riding a MTB round muddy lanes chicking it in the back of the car is becomming messy.
I keep an old tarp in the boot for occasions such as this - largely due to the fact that even if I did have roof bars and appropriate carriers, they wouldn't accommodate a fat bike  ;D That said, the state of my back usually precludes lifting something like a bike to above head height anyway, so I live with taking the front wheel out and chucking everything in the boot.

Fold back seat down, spread the tarp out, add bike - job's a good'un.

Generally speaking, if I go to somewhere like Dalby which has bike-wash facilities, I'll hose the worst of the trail cack off the bike first, then lock it up and then have tea and cake whilst it dries. Obviously, back lanes in Cumbria may be lacking such facilities ;)

« Reply #3838 on: 07 February, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »
A new tub.

I got a load of new free kit too :)  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3839 on: 07 February, 2014, 01:25:02 pm »
I keep an old tarp in the boot for occasions such as this - largely due to the fact that even if I did have roof bars and appropriate carriers, they wouldn't accommodate a fat bike  ;D That said, the state of my back usually precludes lifting something like a bike to above head height anyway, so I live with taking the front wheel out and chucking everything in the boot.

Fold back seat down, spread the tarp out, add bike - job's a good'un.

Generally speaking, if I go to somewhere like Dalby which has bike-wash facilities, I'll hose the worst of the trail cack off the bike first, then lock it up and then have tea and cake whilst it dries. Obviously, back lanes in Cumbria may be lacking such facilities ;)

Most of my riding is cross country on bridleways at the moment, I haven't dared venture near a proper course like Whinlatter yet so no such facilities, just lots of mud and sand :)

Also the bike just fits in the back of the car with wheels on, but requires fiddly repositioning of the tarp at different times during the insertion process. The roof system should hopefully be far easier.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the fuel consumtion figures though.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3840 on: 07 February, 2014, 02:06:52 pm »
Today I bought a bag of Skittles - they cost me £96

(click to show/hide)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3841 on: 07 February, 2014, 02:12:16 pm »
Most of my riding is cross country on bridleways at the moment, I haven't dared venture near a proper course like Whinlatter yet so no such facilities, just lots of mud and sand :)
I've not done Whinlatter yet - keep meaning to. One of the guys at the LBS has been over there and speaks highly of it. If it's anything like Dalby then the drainage on the trails will be pretty good, except where they've wanted to make it muddy by design (so to speak).

All that said, given the recent weather I fully expect my next trip to Dalby to be 'interesting' (ie. I'll be packing mud tyres, just in case)

Also the bike just fits in the back of the car with wheels on, but requires fiddly repositioning of the tarp at different times during the insertion process. The roof system should hopefully be far easier.
The tarp I used was an ex-Army job, so it had eyelets for tying down and whatnot - I anchored them to the stays on the headrests and it stopped things from moving around too much and stopped the backs of the seats getting mucky. That said, since I have a fairly small car there's not really many places that the tarp can move to :)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3842 on: 08 February, 2014, 11:04:45 am »
Nothing exciting, just a puncture repair kit (for the garage) and some glueless patches (for the saddlebag).

I need to buy some new mudguards too but that can be a job for another day.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3843 on: 09 February, 2014, 12:06:18 am »
Your garage has a puncture?  (IGMC)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3844 on: 09 February, 2014, 12:36:04 am »
One Schwalbe Black Jack to go on the rear of the MTB replacing the dead Conti Explorer

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3845 on: 09 February, 2014, 03:06:20 pm »
I gave in, and bought a new jacket, some new Humvees, and new shoes.

Jacket's the same as the last - Altura Night Vision - and I hope the zip is better than last time.  I looked at lots of jackets in Evans, and only the Gore and Endura impressed me as better than the Altura, but at a significantly higher cost.  I think, across the range, Endura's my favourite clothing manufacturer.  When I'm rich, I'll buy some more.
Getting there...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #3846 on: 09 February, 2014, 08:19:56 pm »
A NOS italian steel race frame for £199, perfect for my next build.

« Reply #3847 on: 10 February, 2014, 12:31:02 pm »
A pair of seakskinz 'socklets' - great name!
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #3848 on: 10 February, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »
I think, across the range, Endura's my favourite clothing manufacturer.  When I'm rich, I'll buy some more.
When I'm rich, I'll be picking something much nicer than Endura. When you're rich, you'll (probably) have more time to see the other spendier options and will end up doing the same...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3849 on: 10 February, 2014, 01:44:09 pm »
I think, across the range, Endura's my favourite clothing manufacturer.  When I'm rich, I'll buy some more.
When I'm rich, I'll be picking something much nicer than Endura. When you're rich, you'll (probably) have more time to see the other spendier options and will end up doing the same...
Word to the wise, if you're slightly larger than normal in any dimension, forget Endura unless you're in a position  to try it on first - their sizing is so inconsistent it's maddening. My experience with the likes of Assos and Etxe-Ondo is such that if you're not a racing snake, forget it.

Anyway, today I has mostly been buying a B&M USBWerk charger - my eWerk+cache battery is now in the classifieds if anyone fancies it.