Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 851299 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5650 on: 30 September, 2019, 06:24:24 pm »
Not cycling-specific, but a set of Wera allen keys.  My long-serving Aldi ones had become a liability.

You wouldn't think it was possible to find an allen key impressive, but these qualify.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5651 on: 09 October, 2019, 09:51:02 am »
Some Goldtec bolts and "top hat" washers.  Let's see how long these last.

These hubs are now 16 years old and the bearings are still like new.  The Achilles' heel of Goldtecs is salt - don't use them in winter, or the flanges will probably crack and they're not interested in giving you a replacement if this happens.  I killed a black set in the third winter of commuting.  I believe they're CNC-machined from billet rather than being forged, so they're not as strong as (say) a Campag track hub to begin with.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5652 on: 12 October, 2019, 04:11:06 am »
The seat post mount and "Contour" bag frame for a Rixen & Kaul seatpost-mounted bag.

Planning to design and make my own bag of similar type using their mounting system.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5653 on: 12 October, 2019, 07:16:37 am »
One of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L7X74VD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   - there's a separate thread about the connectors.

Rob

« Reply #5654 on: 12 October, 2019, 01:14:12 pm »

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5655 on: 14 October, 2019, 07:16:21 pm »
Some Time Link pedals.  I don't think I'd seen these before, but Time have a new(ish) dual sided flat/clipless pedal out.  The winter bike is currently serving dual use as a town bike so these are going straight on when they arrive  :thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5656 on: 28 October, 2019, 01:23:49 am »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5657 on: 09 November, 2019, 03:28:56 pm »
Received a 30€ Chinese plastic hat today, motivation for same being that it comes with a magnetic visor (not the fancy peak you get on MTB hats but a real eye-protector) that I can fit over my rain cover, thus assuring a cosy microclimate for my hair-free head and a winter of snot-free rides.

It sports a DIN label inside which, I hope, relates to cycle helmet standards and not to worming tablets for dogs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5658 on: 09 November, 2019, 08:21:38 pm »
A Shimano R7020 groupset (50/34, 32-11, 170mm cranks; would rather have had 34-11 but that's what was in stock).
My Rohloff days are numbered so I'm converting the Enigma back to derailleurs.
While I was at it, I also ordered some of the newer design SKS Raceblades for the Disco and some Park Tools patches. I would have also bought more Gravelking SKs but the 32mm were out of stock.

After this splurge, I realised that you can't get converters for flat mount calipers to fit post mounts so I've asked my LBS if they can get me Hope RX4 calipers. More expense than I'd bargained for but, sadly, necessary. The good thing about standards is that there are so many of them......

Coming soon to the Classifieds, a 10,000 mile disc Rohloff and matching SON dyno wheel plus various ancillaries including oil change kit and oil.
And a pair of flat mount 105 hydro disc calipers....

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5659 on: 09 November, 2019, 08:35:42 pm »
If it's on the right side of my first payday I may take you up on that Dyno disc wheel 👀
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #5660 on: 09 November, 2019, 09:51:52 pm »
If it's on the right side of my first payday I may take you up on that Dyno disc wheel 👀

I want to sell F/R as a pair.
Having said that, I've already had interest in the Rohloff wheel so who knows ?

bludger

« Reply #5661 on: 09 November, 2019, 10:37:17 pm »
I don't need rohloff.

I don't need rohloff.

I don't need rohloff........

😬

Ban cars.

« Reply #5662 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:00:36 am »
I don't need rohloff.

Nor do I.

Stay strong, brother.

(Or weaken before I do - I'm indifferent ...)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5663 on: 22 November, 2019, 10:19:21 am »
some very cushy Louis Garneau MTB shoes.  Now have matching winter boots and summer shoes, both very comfy and maye be my new default shoe selection
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5664 on: 22 November, 2019, 03:27:19 pm »
I don't need rohloff.

Nor do I.

Stay strong, brother.

(Or weaken before I do - I'm indifferent ...)

By coincidence, I've just bought a 105 hydro disc groupset  'cos I've have enough of my Rohloff and I'm going back to derailleurs.

« Reply #5665 on: 22 November, 2019, 05:50:51 pm »
Out of interest, what was your issue with the Rohloff?

« Reply #5666 on: 23 November, 2019, 10:20:05 am »

The friction and the dead feeling it gave the bike. I suspect the two are related.
I wasn't thrilled by the shifting method (I used a Hubbub on the end of my drops).
The weight and noise didn't bother me.

bludger

« Reply #5667 on: 23 November, 2019, 10:33:44 am »
I'm meeting someone to try a new fixed gear bike on Sunday evening, and will shift the Quella ( https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108974.0 ) for a few quid after. The Quella has been fine as a delivery bike and runaround but now I've got a proper job with indoor bike parking I'm wantin to treat myself to something more plush.

Will stick the Quella on the market for about £85 or so after (with some replacement wheels I got second hand off a mate) assuming I go through with the purchase.

Ban cars.

« Reply #5668 on: 23 November, 2019, 10:51:55 am »
Oooh, how tall are you Bludger? I've been contemplating dipping my toe into fixed.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5669 on: 23 November, 2019, 01:09:00 pm »
Oooh, how tall are you Bludger? I've been contemplating dipping my toe into fixed.

.... any interest in a 3 speed fixed (yes - 3 speed Sturmey Archer FIXED) in a Claud Butler 531 frame, 700c wheel complete bike  . . .  complete bike or will sell the wheel and changer levers (2 sorts) separately.

Rob

bludger

« Reply #5670 on: 23 November, 2019, 01:40:15 pm »

5'11. I'll level with you, the bike is heavy and you'd never want to audax on it, but it's been a decent lock-up bike for the past 2 years or so. I recently replaced both wheels with some no-name spares my mate had in the shed which roll fine. Once I'm ready to shift it I'll stick it in the classifieds. I'm based in Lambeth and London Bridge for work.

The wheelset also has capacity for a freewheel if fixed isn't working out for you. It came with one but it was on the real wheel for 2 years without maintenance and was consequently shafted and thrown in the bin, but you can get new ones online for pennies.

Ban cars.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5671 on: 24 November, 2019, 06:10:54 pm »
Today I visted halfrauds to return a few things:
-Ridge rain jacket in red as the ladies altura jacket for the same price was infinitly better;
-Ridge cycling shorts, as the altura longer leg shorts for the same price were better quality;
Collected:
-10 clarke stainless steel universal brake cables for £9 think it was a mistake on the website;
-10 clarke stainless steel gear cable for £10;
-A pair of altura cycling shorts for £5 down from £50. The pad is saddle shaped!;
- A pair of 100mm scooter wheels for the brompton rack maybe and;
- A pair of what I thought were handlebar grips but are infact scooter grips.  Wonder if they will fit a bike? Four item came to £3!.

bludger

« Reply #5672 on: 24 November, 2019, 06:34:28 pm »
I was about to look at and probably buy a bike at 6pm. The guy messaged 20 mins before saying he'd be 30-60 minutes late. I cancelled.

Very annoying. Tempted to write up a post calling his behaviour out but you never know who you might bump into.

Ban cars.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5673 on: 24 November, 2019, 07:17:04 pm »

.... any interest in a 3 speed fixed (yes - 3 speed Sturmey Archer FIXED) in a Claud Butler 531 frame, 700c wheel complete bike  . . .  complete bike or will sell the wheel and changer levers (2 sorts) separately.

Rob

Wonder if a 700 wheel will fit in to a 26inch inbred frame....

« Reply #5674 on: 24 November, 2019, 07:21:29 pm »
The friction and the dead feeling it gave the bike. I suspect the two are related.
Be interesting to get your comparison once you've done some miles on the new set up, not many have the chance to try such a direct comparison.
I sometimes consider mine feels lifeless, particularly after riding my one remaining derailleur bike, but the figures show there's little if any performance difference. I also converted my Airnimal folder from triple to Rohloff, oddly that actually feels livelier.