Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113896 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #400 on: 09 August, 2020, 09:32:08 pm »
LMT, other countries are also experiencing this pandemic and have continued or resumed safely riding and validating brevets, as local laws allow. The UK’s laws allow long distance bike rides to occur right now. Why shouldn’t AUK validate such lawful rides?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #401 on: 09 August, 2020, 09:54:19 pm »
Others have kind of said this already but my main thought is that if auk does not wish to validate 200km+ rides now, there may be a very long wait before things are materially different enough to justify a change, and membership renewals might be lower as a result.

Might someone else step into the gap?  While I'm not volunteering, there is nothing to stop any like minded group of people setting up their own validation system outside AUK. It's three years to pbp so ACP validation is not a pressing issue, and the crazy IT system means the long term viability of AUK is questionable.

LMT

« Reply #402 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:21:57 pm »
LMT, other countries are also experiencing this pandemic and have continued or resumed safely riding and validating brevets, as local laws allow. The UK’s laws allow long distance bike rides to occur right now. Why shouldn’t AUK validate such lawful rides?

Ask AUK.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #403 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:34:50 pm »
I have been doing exactly that for quite a few weeks now. Do you argue a point just for the sake of it or do you actually believe it?

LMT

« Reply #404 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:42:16 pm »
I have been doing exactly that for quite a few weeks now. Do you argue a point just for the sake of it or do you actually believe it?

Believe what?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #405 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:44:40 pm »
Thanks, question answered.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #406 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:58:16 pm »
I've just made my first foray for a while onto the AUK Forum...

Reasonably positive sounding update from Graeme this morning (and in previous days)
Of course we're arguing about things here that have already been addressed there...

But I like arguing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #407 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:59:20 pm »
I’m not saying anything useful, let alone logical or reasonable. :thumbsup:
FTFY

I'm sure that at some point in the future you'll revisit this comment and apologise.
It is simpler than it looks.

LMT

« Reply #408 on: 09 August, 2020, 11:05:41 pm »

« Reply #409 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:30:19 am »
I've just made my first foray for a while onto the AUK Forum...

Reasonably positive sounding update from Graeme this morning (and in previous days)
Of course we're arguing about things here that have already been addressed there...

But I like arguing.

I guess this shows the importance of YACF. I can't get on the Audax forum at the moment as I'm not a member and haven't been for a while.

I have been considering rejoining this season. However, what is the point if I can't (or, for that matter, don't need to) get rides validated?

As mentioned above, AUK are going to haemorrhage members at renewal if they continue to refuse to validate rides that can easily and safely be run within the Government's guidelines.

In the meantime I guess this thread has made me realise that validation is ultimately pointless for me now. It was important when I was working toward the bigger awards. It was also important when I was new and inexperienced at creating my own routes. It was important when I needed the 'game' as a driver to push myself. Now? I'd only rejoin and validate to support AUK to allow others to do this. It seems like AUK doesn't really want/need that support.
Does not play well with others

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #410 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:49:53 am »
That's not a very good reason to be a member.  You don't even know for sure that each member is not a net loss to AUK.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LMT

« Reply #411 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:23:47 am »
^+1

And I don't believe that AUK will lose members at renewal in vast numbers, annual fee is £19? Hardly breaking the bank when you spread the cost over a year and I believe that most people 'get' the current situation and that we are in trying times and it will get better you just need time...and a vaccine.

« Reply #412 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:33:52 am »
^+1

And I don't believe that AUK will lose members at renewal in vast numbers, annual fee is £19? Hardly breaking the bank when you spread the cost over a year and I believe that most people 'get' the current situation and that we are in trying times and it will get better you just need time...and a vaccine.

With redundancy looming for many, cut hours, furlough and an unsecured future, wasting £19 on something that isn't needed is unlikely to be at the top of my list.
Does not play well with others

« Reply #413 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:14:52 am »
Some years ago something like 70% of the membership didn't ride any events! So if its still anywhere near that alot of people are paying for something they dont use already.

Plus any sensible person pays for 5 years for the price of 4, perfect financial sense  :thumbsup:

On another note i rode 207kms yesterday for fun ,, no validation or reward, apart from a great day out and two good pub visits( the purpose of the ride) :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #414 on: 10 August, 2020, 01:46:48 pm »
That's not a very good reason to be a member.  You don't even know for sure that each member is not a net loss to AUK.
Hardly a concern for any organisation on track to spend £500k on half a website... 😁

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #415 on: 10 August, 2020, 04:28:52 pm »
The idea of not reusing masks after taking them off until you wash them off is similar to not reusing hankies. By wearing the mask you have hopefully trapped all the nasties on the inside. Once it has been in your pocket there maybe nasties all over including the outside so the next time you put it on it is not effective. Folding it in half to keep the inside inside would help a little.
As my face covering is a buff folded in half, the inside only touches the inside, but even if I somehow put it back on inside out, the "nasties" if there were any woukd still be on the mask. The mask is not a 100% virus proof barrier but the benefit is achieved by massively reducing exhalation velocity. Are you suggesting that any virus particles on my buff will be resuspended on the air by me breathing the wrong way through it, and spread as far as if I had not been wearing it?. I would hope no one will be touching it.

Also if I keep my buff on all the time and just raise/lower as required this issue goes away too. Bit warm for that today though.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Davef

« Reply #416 on: 10 August, 2020, 04:32:59 pm »
The idea of not reusing masks after taking them off until you wash them off is similar to not reusing hankies. By wearing the mask you have hopefully trapped all the nasties on the inside. Once it has been in your pocket there maybe nasties all over including the outside so the next time you put it on it is not effective. Folding it in half to keep the inside inside would help a little.
As my face covering is a buff folded in half, the inside only touches the inside, but even if I somehow put it back on inside out, the "nasties" if there were any woukd still be on the mask. The mask is not a 100% virus proof barrier but the benefit is achieved by massively reducing exhalation velocity. Are you suggesting that any virus particles on my buff will be resuspended on the air by me breathing the wrong way through it, and spread as far as if I had not been wearing it?. I would hope no one will be touching it.

Also if I keep my buff on all the time and just raise/lower as required this issue goes away too. Bit warm for that today though.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own#maintaining-and-disposing-of-face-coverings point 9. When you take your face covering off, put it in a sealed bag until you wash it.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #417 on: 10 August, 2020, 04:54:26 pm »
And yet paragraph 4 advises to wash the face covering regularly, and not after every single use.

Davef

« Reply #418 on: 10 August, 2020, 05:08:27 pm »
And yet paragraph 4 advises to wash the face covering regularly, and not after every single use.
Sorry can’t see that section 4. Section 5 goes into detail about washing it every time you take it off.

Davef

« Reply #419 on: 10 August, 2020, 05:10:56 pm »
It also says “avoid taking it off and putting it back on again when entering and leaving shops”. It is not all consistent.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #420 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:17:32 pm »
Sorry can’t see that section 4. Section 5 goes into detail about washing it every time you take it off.
When I follow the link it goes straight to section 9, paragraph 1 do not touch front of covering or part that has touched mouth or nose - check
Paragraph 2 once removed store in plastic bag until you have an opportunity to wash... - this could be taken to imply wash after every use
Para 3 make sure you clean surfaces the covering has touched and don't put on cafe table - well duh
Para 4 wash regularly and follow instructions for the fabric.  -  personally I think after every use goes beyond regularly,  which implies one a day at most.

I see about not taking it on and off in quick succession,  that suggests to me if you are visiting multiple ships in a short space of time,  just leave it on.

I suppose the last section of section 5 "when removing... wash in line...." could mean after single use,  but then they could make a very clear statement once - "do not reapply a removed covering" which would cover all those other cases with more certainty

Davef

« Reply #421 on: 10 August, 2020, 07:53:55 pm »
I would stay away from ships, they seem particularly bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bairn again

« Reply #422 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:44:32 pm »
Others have kind of said this already but my main thought is that if auk does not wish to validate 200km+ rides now, there may be a very long wait before things are materially different enough to justify a change, and membership renewals might be lower as a result.

Might someone else step into the gap?  While I'm not volunteering, there is nothing to stop any like minded group of people setting up their own validation system outside AUK. It's three years to pbp so ACP validation is not a pressing issue, and the crazy IT system means the long term viability of AUK is questionable.

An Audax Ecosse independent of AUK is, apparently, “ever closer”

« Reply #423 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:16:28 pm »
An Audax Ecosse independent of AUK is, apparently, “ever closer”

Exciting!  Will it accept overseas members...?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #424 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:52:53 pm »
Perhaps at a discount?? 
Oh no - silly me, that's never gonna work  :P
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll