Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113891 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #500 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:23:27 am »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Davef

« Reply #501 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:26:05 am »
It is all a balance, covid kills people and ruins lives, so does economic hardship, so does obesity and so do mental health issues. Taking extreme positions is not the answer.

Davef

« Reply #502 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:27:54 am »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #503 on: 19 August, 2020, 05:40:31 pm »

As to calling frivolous bike rides selfish,  all the evidence is that transmission outdoors is rare,  so going for a solo bike ride is extremely low risk.

As TimC says, going for a bike ride hasn't been an issue. The issues have been distance allowed from home for exercise, overnights, visiting facilities or shops, riding in a group.

But maybe some cannot do a long ride without Audax Points?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #504 on: 19 August, 2020, 06:15:07 pm »
I think we established sometime ago that some can't go for long bike ride with out points or some sort of award. :demon:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #505 on: 19 August, 2020, 07:52:11 pm »

You've raised this question many times during this pandemic.

It got me thinking:
Do you currently feel pressured to ride 200km along a pre-declared route? 🙁
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ben T

« Reply #506 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:18:26 pm »

Well said.

Edited to add: @Karla, there is a whole spectrum of behaviour between hiding under your bed sheets for the rest of your life and carrying on as if there is no pandemic. Pretending that everyone who doesn't do the latter automatically must be doing the former is disingenuous.

Continuing with life with some additional precautions is not 'flagellating ourselves' it is just sensible. We learn new stuff all the time and change our behaviour. Otherwise we would never have started wearing seat belts, or sterilising surgical equipment, or giving a toss about safety in the workplace.

Well your lot are a fine one to talk. You 'n bats. 
;)

« Reply #507 on: 20 August, 2020, 12:10:34 pm »

It got me thinking:

I don't, but then I haven't ridden an Audax for years.

But by opening up the season some people who might not want to go out will feel pressured to go out to avoid "missing out" on their SR/whatever this season. RTTY has the luxury of being open ended, so it doesn't matter if people take their time to restart that, but the season specific awards like an SR (or awards like B25000) have to be timeboxed and those timescales will not suit everyone.

If you don't open up the season (beyond 200km rides) then everyone is missing out equally, and there's no decision to be made from the individuals.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #508 on: 20 August, 2020, 12:16:58 pm »
RRTY poses an interesting problem to ponder, once you restart, that's it restarted.
I know one Aberdeen rider has worked out how to do a 200 without leaving the lockdown area or the 5 miles fae whar he bides.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #509 on: 22 August, 2020, 11:28:14 am »

It got me thinking:

But by opening up the season some people who might not want to go out will feel pressured to go out to avoid "missing out" on their SR/whatever this season. RTTY has the luxury of being open ended, so it doesn't matter if people take their time to restart that, but the season specific awards like an SR (or awards like B25000) have to be timeboxed and those timescales will not suit everyone.

If you don't open up the season (beyond 200km rides) then everyone is missing out equally, and there's no decision to be made from the individuals.
OK. I see what you're saying. So do you think allowing 300k+ rides is a mistake?

Are these people who have been pressured into the long rides purely hypothetical, or can you name some examples?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #510 on: 22 August, 2020, 11:46:16 am »

It got me thinking:

OK. I see what you're saying. So do you think allowing 300k+ rides is a mistake?

Possibly, yes, although I'm sure no-one really gives a shit about my personal opinion.

Are these people who have been pressured into the long rides purely hypothetical, or can you name some examples?

No I can't name any, but to turn it around are you 100% sure that not a single person will be pressured into doing a ride that they might not be comfortable with in order to keep their hopes of an SR/B25000/etc going?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #511 on: 22 August, 2020, 11:51:32 am »

Possibly, yes, although I'm sure no-one really gives a shit about my personal opinion.
The board made it clear early on that they're monitoring Audaxy social media to get a feel for member opinions; so yes, I'd say your views count for something.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #512 on: 22 August, 2020, 11:58:34 am »

The board made it clear early on that they're monitoring Audaxy social media to get a feel for member opinions; so yes, I'd say your views count for something.

I don't think they should have made that decision but I don't feel strongly enough for the decision to be reversed. Again, it's easy for me to have these opinions as I'm not riding Audaxes at the moment (and not going for any of the awards that are affected).

Anyway, I ducked out of this discussion last time I realised it wasn't really going anywhere, and I don't think it's going anywhere now so I'll put the board back on ignore.

I just wanted to make the point that some people might feel pressured into doing something they're not entirely comfortable with, because of the way that some AUK awards work, now that longer rides have opened up.

« Reply #513 on: 23 August, 2020, 06:04:59 pm »

A map of Antarctica?

Probably the one used by DaveF for navigation without gps.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #514 on: 23 August, 2020, 06:45:00 pm »
The tone of this discussion makes me long for the calmness of the Brexit debate.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #515 on: 25 August, 2020, 11:11:44 am »
Scottish Cycling have updated their guidelines following their latest agreement with SportScotland.

30 people from any number of households in a group with no social distancing required while riding.
As soon as you get off the bike standard guidance returns so at start, finish café etc you're back to social distancing limitations

But......................... all groups have to have a COVID-19 Co-Ordinator (Whatever that is)

Wonder how/if AUK will respond to that.

LMT

« Reply #516 on: 25 August, 2020, 12:09:02 pm »
My kingdom for a sticker that means I rode 200km.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #517 on: 26 August, 2020, 05:39:40 am »
Scottish Cycling have updated their guidelines following their latest agreement with SportScotland.

30 people from any number of households in a group with no social distancing required while riding.
As soon as you get off the bike standard guidance returns so at start, finish café etc you're back to social distancing limitations

But......................... all groups have to have a COVID-19 Co-Ordinator (Whatever that is)

I wouldn’t expect much. British Cycling reissued their guidance yesterday, unchanged except for further restrictions for those areas with enhanced COVID measures. For most of us, it remains a maximum of six in a group.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #518 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:25:30 pm »
Turns out the no distancing and 30 people only appllies to BC registered clubs who can be bothered having a covid rep in every group. So aye useless for the rest of us.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #519 on: 27 August, 2020, 11:05:38 am »

"We are AUK."
I would imagine.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #520 on: 27 August, 2020, 05:17:35 pm »

"We are AUK."
I would imagine.

Are Wales and/or NI still more restrictive?

« Reply #521 on: 30 August, 2020, 06:13:07 am »
Perms appear to still be suspended in practice, at least the ones (600) that I have looked at are.  But I could submit the route as a DIY.

Seems a bit odd to do that.

Anyone know if perms up to 600 are likely to be unsuspended any time soon, or is it an individual organiser thing?

« Reply #522 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:43:50 am »
There are 40 600k perms.  26 are still suspended and 14 are not.  Pick again!

« Reply #523 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:14:46 am »
Perms appear to still be suspended in practice, at least the ones (600) that I have looked at are.  . . .

Anyone know if perms up to 600 are likely to be unsuspended any time soon, or is it an individual organiser thing?
The Permanents Secretary has, I believe, e-mailed all perm event organisers and invited them to reply saying they are content to have their events reopened (for entries). I surmise that those which are still suspended are those which the organiser judges not viable at present (some are abroad) and/or where the organiser has not replied, deliberately or otherwise.

« Reply #524 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:16:33 am »
I could pick another but actually I don't want to do any of them.

I'm not an audax addict or point chaser so don't mind not getting validation, but would rather support the DIY organiser as first preference. 2nd preference would be a DIY, but riding unvalidated is fine if that is considered bad form.