Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113865 times)

Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #525 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:58:33 am »
Quite a few of the shorter (200k) perms are still showing up as being suspended as well so I can only assume that the relevant organisers do not want the responsibility should anything untoward (Covid-wise) might happen.

Also very few calendar events opening up so far, but still early days probably.

« Reply #526 on: 30 August, 2020, 10:09:52 am »
Perms appear to still be suspended in practice, at least the ones (600) that I have looked at are.  . . .

Anyone know if perms up to 600 are likely to be unsuspended any time soon, or is it an individual organiser thing?
The Permanents Secretary has, I believe, e-mailed all perm event organisers and invited them to reply saying they are content to have their events reopened (for entries). I surmise that those which are still suspended are those which the organiser judges not viable at present (some are abroad) and/or where the organiser has not replied, deliberately or otherwise.

Interesting, thanks, will message the organiser.

« Reply #527 on: 30 August, 2020, 01:50:54 pm »
Perms appear to still be suspended in practice, at least the ones (600) that I have looked at are.  . . .

Anyone know if perms up to 600 are likely to be unsuspended any time soon, or is it an individual organiser thing?
The Permanents Secretary has, I believe, e-mailed all perm event organisers and invited them to reply saying they are content to have their events reopened (for entries). I surmise that those which are still suspended are those which the organiser judges not viable at present (some are abroad) and/or where the organiser has not replied, deliberately or otherwise.

This was when only perms up to 200km had the option of opening, back in July. There has been no email subsequent to that.  So it may just be the perm organisers haven’t  noticed and  therefore requested their 600 re opens. 

« Reply #528 on: 30 August, 2020, 01:56:11 pm »
Also very few calendar events opening up so far, but still early days probably.

Probably early days. This week I submitted Covid risk assessments for my September events. I suspect they will be unsuspended sometime next week.

« Reply #529 on: 30 August, 2020, 04:37:52 pm »
I messaged the organiser.
He has asked for the perms to be reopened but apparently AUK has not  yet implemented it. So worth going direct if you want to do a perm.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #530 on: 30 August, 2020, 04:42:56 pm »

This was when only perms up to 200km had the option of opening, back in July. There has been no email subsequent to that.  So it may just be the perm organisers haven’t  noticed and  therefore requested their 600 re opens.
I think John tried to email all the organisers with perms > 200km once the restriction was lifted - but it was just as he went off on holiday so it may not have successfully reached all, hence he also asked me to post this on the AUK forum about it:

I think perms organisers should have received a mail from John by now, but in case this hasn't reached you please note the following message from him:
"If you are a Permanent Event organiser with events up to 600km that you consider suitable to be reopened for entries please email John Ward at permanents@audax.uk and state which events you wish to have un-suspended"

« Reply #531 on: 30 August, 2020, 05:45:21 pm »

You're right, Phil. As @bhoot said, I saw the mid-month post on the AudaxUK site and e-mailed John asking for my permanents (600s) to be un-suspended (17 Aug). Two hours later, he'd "done it".

« Reply #532 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:25:55 pm »
I've now got mine set up, via the organiser directly.
Just need to ride it now...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #533 on: 30 August, 2020, 10:52:25 pm »
Could set it up as a DIY by GPS?

I've nicked someone's perm route and set it up as a DIY by GPS and ridden it.

(Have sent the perm entry fee to the organiser who can never actually cashed it. You know who you are, El.)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #534 on: 31 August, 2020, 11:58:35 am »
My Upper Thames 200 on Nov 7th is now "un-suspended", as are a few other 200k+ calendar events. It will be a bit different to "normal", especially at the start and finish, but we'll see how it goes.

« Reply #535 on: 31 August, 2020, 12:05:50 pm »
My Upper Thames 200 on Nov 7th is now "un-suspended", as are a few other 200k+ calendar events.

:thumbsup:

It will be a bit different to "normal", especially at the start and finish, but we'll see how it goes.

There's a big advantage to being full value......plenty of natural soup social distancing at the end  :)

Hope to make it there.
Garry Broad

« Reply #536 on: 31 August, 2020, 12:14:13 pm »
Catering will be one of the casualties of the situation. The guidelines for organisers quite properly state that we should not encourage riders to linger at start or finish. We hope to be able to provide hot and cold drinks at both ends, possibly soup at the end, but no other food. I'll be interested to hear how other organisers are handling it.

I expect to be sending riders out over a period of up to an hour and a half (depending how many entries there are, which makes timing of each individual rider more complex. I have done some work on adding bar-codes to the brevet card labels, and reading them into a spreadsheet on a laptop from my phone, which seems to work well. Any other organisers who would like information on what I've come up with are welcome to contact me at phil@thamesvalleyaudax.co.uk

« Reply #537 on: 31 August, 2020, 03:06:45 pm »
Could use a handicap system, similar to those used in time trials.

« Reply #538 on: 31 August, 2020, 04:10:15 pm »
I expect to be sending riders out over a period of up to an hour and a half (depending how many entries there are, which makes timing of each individual rider more complex. I have done some work on adding bar-codes to the brevet card labels, and reading them into a spreadsheet on a laptop from my phone, which seems to work well. Any other organisers who would like information on what I've come up with are welcome to contact me at phil@thamesvalleyaudax.co.uk

For my club's reliability ride we have c.150 riders who leave in dribs and drabs, so a bit similar.  This year, (in Jan so pre-Covid) to time them I used a phone app called Racetimer, which logs when each person leaves if you input their number.  We had a second phone running the same app to log arrivals.  A quick sum in a spreadsheet then gave times.

We used to have a system with a barcode scanner reading a code on a card that each rider carried, but the app was simpler.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #539 on: 01 September, 2020, 08:05:59 am »
Are start rimes not pre assigned to prevent large numbers massing at the start?

In which case start time could be noted on the brevet, which does not get put out for collection until 5 minutes before the listed time.

Anyone who is late just loses time in the same way as normal.

Or is this too much hassle returning to put brevets out in batches? Seems easier than monitoring everyone leaving.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #540 on: 01 September, 2020, 01:51:48 pm »
The "ebrevet" phone app which is currently being tested would sort out the issue of different rider start times very neatly as it can be used in "perm mode" so that when someone starts their actual start time would be used to calculate their finish opening/closing times plus all intermediate control times, so no need for any maths etc. It's only for Android as yet (any Apple developers out there?) and it's not officially approved but should be piloted for some perms very soon.

Some organisers who have been testing are interested in using it for their calendar events, ether just on a trial basis alongside other PoP, but ideally as an accepted PoP (at least for a pilot to avoid some of the Covid secure aspects of other PoP and also for the easy flexibility in start times).

More info here although it's moved on a bit since those screen shots were taken - it now shows control opening and closing times on the main screen for easy reference, and also the "not there yet" message is modified to give you an idea where the control is relative to your current position (so you know whether you are indeed "not there yet" or have actually gone too far!)

Davef

COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #541 on: 01 September, 2020, 02:16:59 pm »
To produce an iPhone app is has to be approved by apple and it is a bit of a pain. I would suggest a mobile friendly web app would be an alternative approach though with the disadvantage of needing a data connection.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #542 on: 01 September, 2020, 02:28:12 pm »
At the current rate apple are going at, sating tough shit to Apple users is probably the easiest option...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Davef

« Reply #543 on: 01 September, 2020, 02:35:31 pm »
At the current rate apple are going at, sating tough shit to Apple users is probably the easiest option...

... apple market cap hit $1 trn this month, I think they are doing ok.

simonp

« Reply #544 on: 01 September, 2020, 02:51:46 pm »

$2 trillion.

Not a tech bubble, oh no.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #545 on: 01 September, 2020, 02:54:22 pm »

See their spat with EPIC.

« Reply #546 on: 01 September, 2020, 03:10:24 pm »

Can you explain how Epic deliberately breaking App Store rules and inevitably being thrown out has any impact on the audax app?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #547 on: 01 September, 2020, 03:26:25 pm »

I think some anti-Apple prejudice is at work here. Apple didn't have a 'spat' with EPIC - it was the other way around. And EPIC lost, not surprisingly. That will have no effect on Apple's business, but it will on EPIC's. None of that will have any relevance to any freeware app developed to help Audaxers do their thing.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #548 on: 01 September, 2020, 03:33:47 pm »
It's far from over, apples actions prove they're running a closed shop, Microsoft got hit heavily for much less.

Apple development of the unreal engine being stopped, or the engine being pulled remain a potential outcome, as if apple win then epic can use that to force all developers using unreal to use epics storefront.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #549 on: 01 September, 2020, 03:42:12 pm »
Still not seeing any relevance to an Audax app. And EPIC v Apple... wanna bet who wins?