Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113894 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #575 on: 31 October, 2020, 09:45:23 pm »
Calendar events are a decision for the Grown Ups, and I'm so pleased that is their decision not mine.
But perms are OK, from my reading of the rulz.
So a GdS perm will be fine, but only from my reading of the govt statement. Valuation by GPX track as usual so no receipts. Take sarnies and water.
But seems it can be done.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

bairn again

« Reply #576 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:32:08 pm »
Bit of a wooly No 10 press conference to say the least but this is what has been gleaned by some reporters;

While elite sport will continue as normal, exercise for everyone else will be limited to unlimited periods outdoors – either with people from their own households, or on a one-to-one basis with a person from another household.

does this mean AUK calendar events between 5.11 and 2.12 are cancelled?
In England yes possibly.   No reason why somebody in Scotlands Tier 1 shouldnt ride an audax though. 

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #577 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:47:49 pm »
Bit of a wooly No 10 press conference to say the least but this is what has been gleaned by some reporters;

While elite sport will continue as normal, exercise for everyone else will be limited to unlimited periods outdoors – either with people from their own households, or on a one-to-one basis with a person from another household.

In England yes possibly.   No reason why somebody in Scotlands Tier 1 shouldnt ride an audax though. 

Anything to stop someone in tier 3 from doing a DIY if the rote is within their own health board area?

bairn again

« Reply #578 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:51:09 pm »

Anything to stop someone in tier 3 from doing a DIY if the rote is within their own health board area?
no, but i referenced tier 1 as the canvas is wider. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #579 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:56:11 pm »

Oooh, I could do one.
If I had a bike here...
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #580 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:59:03 pm »

no, but i referenced tier 1 as the canvas is wider. 

:thumbsup:

It may be easier in some areas though. Highlands and Islands, Dumfries and Galloway and the Borders have more roads to play with than some areas.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #581 on: 31 October, 2020, 11:02:10 pm »
Levels 0,1 and 2 are only restricted to not stopping in levels 3 or 4,given the level 3 and 4 areas with the exception of Highland Stirling are all urban its not too difficult if you're allowed out

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #582 on: 01 November, 2020, 01:28:42 am »
Obviously, our Committee will need to digest and determine how we proceed. We have been following the wider cycling protocol; in England, it seems that Calendars could be awkward under the new rules for 4 weeks, whereas Perms could proceed under external exercise Rules. And then we have the wider AUK population to think about. 4 days of grace!
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #583 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:19:48 am »
whereas Perms could proceed under external exercise Rules.

Wishful thinking. I don't think there is any alternative to a total ban on validations during lockdown. Remember "stay at home" and "don't travel".

« Reply #584 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:29:34 am »

Wishful thinking. I don't think there is any alternative to a total ban on validations during lockdown. Remember "stay at home" and "don't travel".

I do remember those but for the imminent English 'lockdown' I also read:

This means you must not leave or be outside of your home except for specific purposes. These include:

...to exercise outdoors or visit an outdoor public place - with the people you live with, with your support bubble or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household.

I can work with that.

« Reply #585 on: 01 November, 2020, 09:27:16 am »

As of tomorrow, it's local authority areas rather than health board areas.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #586 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:01:32 am »

As of tomorrow, it's local authority areas rather than health board areas.
Thats fine for IanDG though if he goes to level 3 from 1, D&G is both a council area and a health board area!

There may be some slight border differences due to practical management reasons but the other board/councils that match are:
Borders
Orkney
Shetland
Western isles
Fife

All "small" boards/councils, but with plenty space to get a few distances in.

bairn again

« Reply #587 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:02:55 am »
As I plan to ride a DIY event next weekend Ive just looked at the rules as per the Scottish Govt announcement on 23 October.
 https://www.gov.scot/publications/covid-19-scotlands-strategic-framework/ 

Im in a Level 3 area.  It says "No non-essential travel into or out of the level 3 area.  Exemptions for essential travel for work, education, shopping health
etc; outdoor exercise; weddings and funerals; shared parenting, and transit through restricted areas"

Similar provisions apply to all other levels vis a vis transit in and out.

As there is a specific travel exemption for outdoor exercise, a DIY audax including both (a) travel beyond my own health board area and (b) into areas that are Levels 0,1,2 or 4 is permitted - as things stand.     

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #588 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:06:09 am »

I do remember those but for the imminent English 'lockdown' I also read:

This means you must not leave or be outside of your home except for specific purposes. These include:

...to exercise outdoors or visit an outdoor public place - with the people you live with, with your support bubble or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household.

I can work with that.

As I said, wishful thinking.. I would be very surprised (and somewhat disappointed) if AUK did go ahead allowing validations during these 4 weeks... it would show a willingness to look for loopholes, rather being part of the solution, which would be out of character. I do not wish to belong to an organisation that looks for loopholes for selfish purposes.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #589 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:09:38 am »
General Validations haven't been paused for the Welsh or Northern Irish lockdowns though so the precedence is set.
The only thing I read about no validation in Wales was from CET saying which of his perms were off, but then im not in Wales and don't think there was a general announcement (if there was I didn't see the email)

There is no legally enforceable travel restrictions in Scotland (and the guide allows exercise based travel) , and Wales is reopening mid November.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #590 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:13:30 am »
As I plan to ride a DIY event next weekend Ive just looked at the rules as per the Scottish Govt announcement on 23 October.

Im in a Level 3 area.  It says "No non-essential travel into or out of the level 3 area.  Exemptions for essential travel for work, education, shopping health
etc; outdoor exercise; weddings and funerals; shared parenting, and transit through restricted areas"

As there is a specific travel exemption for outdoor exercise, a DIY audax including both (a) travel beyond my own health board area and (b) into areas that are Levels 0,1,2 or 4 is permitted - as things stand.   
Something else that's critical up here is the travel restrictions are currently only guidance not law.
If you drove to the horn for a bacon butty the good people of the grange* could do little more than tut in your general direction.

* it'd probably be all L3 dundonians anyway.

« Reply #591 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:38:11 am »

Something else that's critical up here is the travel restrictions are currently only guidance not law.
If you drove to the horn for a bacon butty the good people of the grange* could do little more than tut in your general direction.

* it'd probably be all L3 dundonians anyway.

Ah, that's good to know. Being in a small (geographically) local authority area means that even some of my walking/running routes take me outside the boundary!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #592 on: 01 November, 2020, 12:05:00 pm »
a willingness to look for loopholes, rather being part of the solution, which would be out of character. I do not wish to belong to an organisation that looks for loopholes for selfish purposes.
That's not true: the government has specifically allowed outdoor exercise, it has gone out of its way to specify that. So we are allowed to go for a run, for a bike ride, for a walk in the country. That is specifically allowed, no question and it's obvious that the government has deliberately gone out of its way to highlight this issue.
Now - I'd be the first to agree that the phrase "exercise" means different things to different people. For some, a bike is 20 minutes and for others it's several hours. Remember that it's going to just about impossible to interact with other human beings while you're out on the bike, almost everything will be shut. So the logic is that riding a perm, and having it validated by Auk is perfectly OK.

So, no, following government guidance is not "looking for loopholes" - it's following government guidance.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Fennec

« Reply #593 on: 01 November, 2020, 12:29:53 pm »
I have an interest in running.

Mass running events have of course been cancelled. A lot of them have been replaced by ‘virtual’ events, where you run the equivalent distance solo from your home (obeying local restrictions), do some sort of validation (either self validate or submit a GPS track) and receive your medal or whatever through the post.

This has gone on all the way through the previous lockdown and beyond without anyone arguing that it’s dangerous or selfish, or muttering about ‘loopholes’.

I don’t really think there’s any essential difference between a ‘virtual’ running event and a perm/DIY Audax. As long as people obey rules on group size etc I can’t think what the problem would be.

« Reply #594 on: 01 November, 2020, 12:41:45 pm »
I don’t really think there’s any essential difference between a ‘virtual’ running event and a perm/DIY Audax. As long as people obey rules on group size etc I can’t think what the problem would be.

Distance and time are the main differences.

You can go a lot further from your home on an Audax (for the sake of this argument I'm assuming 200km or longer Audaxes) than you can on a run so you'll be going in to different areas further afield on an Audax than on a run.

You'll also be out for much longer on an Audax than on a run. This brings into question things like feeding and going to the toilet.

They're the main differences between a virtual running event and an Audax.

[EDIT] Nothing on the AUK forum yet, but my guess is that they'll suspend validation for the period of the lockdown. Not doing so would be unfair (IMHO) to those who are looking to comply with the spirit of lockdown rather than looking for ways to read the regulations in such a way to allow them to continue their hobby that is built on top of exercise.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #595 on: 01 November, 2020, 12:46:56 pm »
A better comparison is the difference between an Audax and a Bike Ride.  Perhaps you're aiming for some mileage goal, or trying to improve your fitness or colouring in tiles on a map or something.  Or maybe not, and you just like riding your bike.

I'd suggest the key issue is whether that mile-eating or tile-bagging or AUK validation is encouraging you to do things you wouldn't otherwise.  And assuming it is, are they risky?

On the gripping hand, If AUK validation is problematic, so is Strava.

« Reply #596 on: 01 November, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »
Going out for a long bike ride where you encounter no other humans is fine; encouraging going out on a long bike ride is fine. Going into shops etc (either for supplies or validation) is the only thing I see that's problematic.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #597 on: 01 November, 2020, 12:59:05 pm »
Going out for a long bike ride where you encounter no other humans is fine; encouraging going out on a long bike ride is fine. Going into shops etc (either for supplies or validation) is the only thing I see that's problematic.

I will continue to ride my bike to the shops to buy my daily provisions. The fact that I will do only 10km there and back is irrelevant. Going to a shop that sells essential goods is perfectly reasonable.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #598 on: 01 November, 2020, 01:02:14 pm »
[EDIT] Nothing on the AUK forum yet, but my guess is that they'll suspend validation for the period of the lockdown. Not doing so would be unfair (IMHO) to those who are looking to comply with the spirit of lockdown rather than looking for ways to read the regulations in such a way to allow them to continue their hobby that is built on top of exercise.

Wales has been in lockdown, validation continued in England and Scotland.

Whether or not an Audax can fit your lockdown restrictions is entirley down to what the limitations are.
If the Scottish regional restrictions became a legal requirement for L3/4 areas and outdoor exercise was removed (The NGBs did a lot of lobbying to get that exception included, and in the worst case scenario it might need to be removed due to lack of emergency service capacity) most people would probably still be able to knock up a 200; IroIroMono worked one out entirley in Aberdeen during Aberdeens extended lockdown (another lockdown)

English exceptionalism from the UK Government in the case of Furlough being extended and upped to 80% is already causing them trouble.
It's the sort of trouble AUK surely don't want to be inviting.

« Reply #599 on: 01 November, 2020, 01:04:32 pm »
Calendar events are a decision for the Grown Ups, and I'm so pleased that is their decision not mine.
But perms are OK, from my reading of the rulz.
So a GdS perm will be fine, but only from my reading of the govt statement. Valuation by GPX track as usual so no receipts. Take sarnies and water.
But seems it can be done.

Provided you rode to the start of course