Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113880 times)

Davef

Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #700 on: 02 November, 2020, 04:11:33 pm »
I could make some fatuous point about how the vast majority of accidents happen in the home, but I don't think that would be a useful contribution to the discussion. ;)
Being equally fatuous, so do the majority of covid infections.

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #701 on: 02 November, 2020, 05:18:05 pm »
Post removed for unecessary gratuitous rudeness.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #702 on: 02 November, 2020, 06:21:07 pm »
Wouldn't it be time to remove those rude users as well those rude posts?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #703 on: 02 November, 2020, 06:40:04 pm »
 No
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #704 on: 02 November, 2020, 06:44:52 pm »
Perms should continue but with the onus being on riders to abide by the 'must stay in primary residence' and 'ride with only your household or one other when alone' restrictions.
This ^^^
Typifying riders who choose to go for a long ride for exercise (with validation or not) as 'selfish' is pejorative and unreasonable.

rob

« Reply #705 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:30:58 pm »
Who’d have thought that a global pandemic would make the cycling community turn in on itself and resort to name calling ?

« Reply #706 on: 02 November, 2020, 08:17:16 pm »
Ha ha...it doesnt take a global pandemic. In fact it doesn't take anything.

Im still reeling at AB calling Greenbank "flocculent"  :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #707 on: 02 November, 2020, 08:22:26 pm »

It usually takes prolonged shit weather, so I think the underlying problem is people not getting to ride their bikes enough.

« Reply #708 on: 02 November, 2020, 08:23:52 pm »
Im still reeling at AB calling Greenbank "flocculent"  :o

I missed that, it was gone by the time I looked.

Favourite so far is being called a "petit totalitarian".
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rob

« Reply #709 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:31:52 pm »

It usually takes prolonged shit weather, so I think the underlying problem is people not getting to ride their bikes enough.

And the fact that people on this thread are telling us not to ?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #710 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:49:50 pm »
And the fact that people on this thread are telling us not to ?

ignore and do your own thing (that's my approach anyway)  :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #711 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:14:42 pm »
Personally I think those who don't want to share the animal and microbial kingdom with the rest of us should be removed to Australia where they can carry on doing their own thing, and everyone else can get on just fine.

« Reply #712 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:25:17 pm »
Thats what i have been doing zigzag, generally riding my bike and doing things i want to do.
End of the day either way someone will tell you what ever your doing is wrong.

Ride your bike your in the wrong, dont ride your bike yout in the wrong.

I guess if the powers to be decided to stop perms ,then we will just have to live with it. But it shouldn't stop anyone riding there bike. One thing i can say with any out any doubt is my flask has been used a lot this year and alot of benches have been sat on. :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #713 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:29:55 pm »

Usually I just need to say hello and someone on here will call me an idiot or a moron or some other suitable word to imply that intellectually I am not well endowed. I'm kinda used to it now...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #714 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:45:17 pm »
Who’d have thought that a global pandemic would make the cycling community turn in on itself and resort to name calling ?

TBF it has in all other walks of life;

for me YACF has long since ceased to be a cycling forum and the Audax board even less so which is why I now try to either stay on topic or else keep stumm

the Guardian blog is a much better read without the ability to reply so easily...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #715 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:50:43 pm »
Personally I think those who don't want to share the animal and microbial kingdom with the rest of us should be removed to Australia where they can carry on doing their own thing, and everyone else can get on just fine.

or greenland - it's closer and (almost) no corona there :demon:

« Reply #716 on: 02 November, 2020, 11:53:38 pm »
No one is telling us not to ride our bikes. For  most here 200km is a normal day out. However none of us need validation and I can see why being seeing to encourage a 200km ride, which most people, right or wrong, would see as stretching the exercise guidance should not be encouraged by Audax UK. Go out and ride your bike, but these are not normal times

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #717 on: 03 November, 2020, 06:32:13 am »
No one is telling us not to ride our bikes. For  most here 200km is a normal day out. However none of us need validation and I can see why being seeing to encourage a 200km ride, which most people, right or wrong, would see as stretching the exercise guidance should not be encouraged by Audax UK. Go out and ride your bike, but these are not normal times

That's the point that keeps being missed.

It is up to the individual to decide whether they want to ride 200 km or not... it is up to them to interpret the rules. But it's not AUK's role to do so.
Validations should (and will) be suspended

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #718 on: 03 November, 2020, 06:59:06 am »
It is up to the individual to decide whether they want to ride 200 km or not... it is up to them to interpret the rules. But it's not AUK's role to do so.
Validations should (and will) be suspended
Now, the bold bit, I agree with. The gov make the rules (just like the ones about not stabbing each-other, or drink-driving), and being adults we get on with life within them.

What I don't understand is how you leap to the idea that AUK *should* interpret the rules by choosing when to validate rides. Are AUK the police? (Or a version of the police that runs a public opinion poll every few weeks to decide which laws to enforce?)

(but we went through this a hundred times in  the Spring, so I don't expect change. Oh but then again, the "AUK is for the UK, all for one and one for all" thing quickly went out of the window, so who knows?? :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #719 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:10:24 am »
<snip>
Sure some people can do cloverleaf loops that mean they are never more than 25km away from home and don't have to visit shops or toilets other than their own home and have no interaction with other humans, but AUK can't guarantee that will happen for EVERYONE if they continue to validate 200km+ DIYs and Perms. That's one of the reasons they suspended validations last time round.

As for AUK's stance. I guess we'll see what it is. The same arguments were made for/against validation in the previous lockdown and everyone seemed to accept the decision made by AUK to suspend validations then.
Absolute nonsense!

(unless you mean "mattc couldn't be bothered to protest on the streets, or hunt down the AUK board with a sharpened QR axle" ! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #720 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:26:45 am »
OK, pretend I said "most people".

If every decision had to have unanimous support then no decisions would ever get made.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #721 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:58:07 am »

What I don't understand is how you leap to the idea that AUK *should* interpret the rules by choosing when to validate rides. Are AUK the police? (Or a version of the police that runs a public opinion poll every few weeks to decide which laws to enforce?)

AUK cannot guarantee a brevet will be carried out following the rules and guidelines of a national lockdown, so staying local for instance, avoiding retail outlets in other areas etc.
If they can't guarantee that, then they can't cover the activity and risk being in a liable position... so the only wise thing to do is to withdraw validations, unless they want to rewrite the rulebook of a brevet in two days.

As I said earlier, we could have thought of a "lockdown-proof" way to carry out validations for short local brevets, but we didn't do anything along those lines, so we are where we are. It's 4 weeks of non validated cycling, get over it

« Reply #722 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:03:11 am »

AUK cannot guarantee a brevet will be carried out following the rules and guidelines of a national lockdown, so staying local for instance, avoiding retail outlets in other areas etc.
If they can't guarantee that, then they can't cover the activity and risk being in a liable position... so the only wise thing to do is to withdraw validations, unless they want to rewrite the rulebook of a brevet in two days.

As I said earlier, we could have thought of a "lockdown-proof" way to carry out validations for short local brevets, but we didn't do anything along those lines, so we are where we are. It's 4 weeks of non validated cycling, get over it

I reckon that the bit that you agree to where it says 'I am responsible for my own conduct' has that covered.

Davef

« Reply #723 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:10:00 am »
or cycling through red traffic lights, or without lights ...

« Reply #724 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:19:06 am »
Its very easy for people to misinterpret the true meaning behind a bicycle journey. Some may see a bike travelling down the road and think they are just travelling, whereas in fact they are earning points for a crucial DIY RRTY.

Much as people wrongly assumed Dominic Cummings was having a frivolous day out with his family in Barnards Castle when in fact he was carrying out an essential eyetest to determine if he was fit enough to drive to London.