Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113896 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #800 on: 04 November, 2020, 06:41:16 pm »
AUK has suspended all events for November - Board was waiting to see whether there was anything significant that came out of the debate today but is following guidance from British Cycling. 

The position on perms needs to be clarified and the Board hasn't had a chance to meet and agree today, so it's probably best not to assume that one undertaken before that clarification - which will be soon - is made.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #801 on: 04 November, 2020, 06:56:32 pm »
CTT have just sent an email to suspend all events in England during the lockdown

CTT don't do perms thobut
In fact, I don't think they organise or govern ANY Audax activities. Can you confirm Karla?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #802 on: 04 November, 2020, 07:00:14 pm »
AUK has suspended all events for November - Board was waiting to see whether there was anything significant that came out of the debate today but is following guidance from British Cycling. 

The position on perms needs to be clarified and the Board hasn't had a chance to meet and agree today, so it's probably best not to assume that one undertaken before that clarification - which will be soon - is made.
Has this been announced on the Audax UK site, please? I have looked at the News https://audax.uk/news/ and in the Forum.
Your sentence on Permanents seems inadvertently incomplete.

Davef

« Reply #803 on: 04 November, 2020, 07:11:10 pm »

Has this been announced on the Audax UK site, please? I have looked at the News https://audax.uk/news/ and in the Forum.
I disagree, I think the sentence on permanents

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #804 on: 04 November, 2020, 07:16:00 pm »

I disagree, I think the sentence on permanents

Confirmation of suspension of calendar events should be on the web site shortly. Exact position on perms should be later this evening.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #805 on: 04 November, 2020, 07:32:58 pm »
That would be appreciated :thumbsup: And just that I have the terminology right: perms == diy ?

rob

« Reply #806 on: 04 November, 2020, 07:35:14 pm »
CTT have just sent an email to suspend all events in England during the lockdown

Ah, that’s handy as it reminds me that I haven’t given them my new email address.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #807 on: 04 November, 2020, 07:42:58 pm »

CTT don't do perms thobut
In fact, I don't think they organise or govern ANY Audax activities. Can you confirm Karla?

Only the MR24 😛

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #808 on: 04 November, 2020, 07:59:01 pm »
That would be appreciated :thumbsup: And just that I have the terminology right: perms == diy ?

yes, same regulations

« Reply #809 on: 04 November, 2020, 08:02:52 pm »

It’s more a case of DIY Perms . If perms are allowed under certain rules it’ll cover the subset DIYs.

« Reply #810 on: 04 November, 2020, 08:05:00 pm »
Yes, because a DIY is, more formally, a DIY Permanent.

A Perm is a Perm.

A DIY is a DIY Perm.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #811 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:20:06 pm »
As expected perm validations continue in England, limited to max two people per route per day, and no more than 200km nominal.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #812 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:31:50 pm »

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #813 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:38:42 pm »
sensible decision IMO I hope riders will act accordingly  :)

Thanks AUK for prompt action in these changing times  :thumbsup:

« Reply #814 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:26:10 am »
Good decision from the powers to be and sadly won't be the last time tough and difficult decision's will have to be made by the board.

Not everyone will be happy with the out come, but for me its a big :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #815 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:27:51 am »
Identical discussions were carried out during the first lockdown and AUK decided to suspend validations. I don't see why this time they should act differently.

At the time the situation was much less clear and the government were making (informal) recommendations about limiting duration of exercise. Validation was suspended because it was prudent until the situation became clearer, not because it was necessarily required.

all of which is against the rules, as I understand (don't travel outside your area).

In England at least there is no such rule - you can travel as much as you want as long as it's for one of the listed purposes. The guiding principle is to "reduce our day-to-day contact with other people".

The Guidance has been updated:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#travel

11. Travel

If you live in England, you cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:
* to spend time or exercise outdoors - this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #816 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:34:57 am »
Somewhat disappointed by AUK's decision.

However, I have informed the perm secretary that I do not intend to validate my perm for the duration of the English lockdown... apparently I wasn't the first to make such a request

rob

« Reply #817 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:39:14 am »

However, I have informed the perm secretary that I do not intend to validate my perm for the duration of the English lockdown... apparently I wasn't the first to make such a request

Isn't that a bit like taking your ball home so no-one else can play ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #818 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:50:49 am »
No, that is fair enough.

The organiser only offers a perm route when they believe riding it to be appropriate (because of traffic or other reasons). Some countries limit the dates for some routes because of potential weather conditions. That is a reasonable approach too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #819 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:05:10 am »

When rules are open to interpretation, you have to accept that sometimes other people will interpret them differently to you. That doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of understanding on their part, or that they are choosing to interpret the rules a certain way out of self interest. It's fine for people to hold different opinions on this matter, and it's possible to come to different conclusions even after thorough scrutiny of the facts.

Withdrawing validation for your own perms is entirely your prerogative.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #820 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:30:33 am »
I was given the option by the perm secretary and I took the option to suspend validation.

I disagree with AUK position, but that doesn't mean I am taking away the ball. Folks can still ride the same route as a DIY if they wish and I am happy to supply a GPX track free of charge, but I am not going to be one validating it, simples...

Davef

COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #821 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:49:51 am »
Identical discussions were carried out during the first lockdown and AUK decided to suspend validations. I don't see why this time they should act differently.

At the time the situation was much less clear and the government were making (informal) recommendations about limiting duration of exercise. Validation was suspended because it was prudent until the situation became clearer, not because it was necessarily required.

all of which is against the rules, as I understand (don't travel outside your area).

In England at least there is no such rule - you can travel as much as you want as long as it's for one of the listed purposes. The guiding principle is to "reduce our day-to-day contact with other people".

The Guidance has been updated:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#travel

11. Travel

If you live in England, you cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:
* to spend time or exercise outdoors - this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
I think that is fairly clear “travel” in this context is travel to the start of your exercise or recreation (like the Welsh - “you can cycle as far as you want but start and finish from home”).  I believe the motivation is to avoid crowds congregating at busy places and avoiding public transport (it does also say that this travel is best undertaken on foot or by bike). Perhaps AUK should reiterate this and say “whenever possible you should choose a perm starting near your home”. There were similar guidelines as to whether an excuse was reasonable issued to the police last time and they would not issue a fixed penalty unless the travel time exceeded the exercise time.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #822 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:51:43 am »
No word on DIY rides abroad (there's likely less than a handful of us who would be interested I guess  ;)), but may I assume that a 200km DIY will be fine? Also assuming it doesn't matter which virtual brevet cards you buy (I still have a few from "Scotland" in my account)

I don't intend to ride longer anyways; last weekend I attempted a 600 for a last minute SR qualification but rain and electronic gremlins were enough to dissolve my motivation and I scratched half way.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #823 on: 05 November, 2020, 10:05:19 am »
Yes, if your local laws allow riding up to 200km nominal.

And

Yes, any DIY organiser’s brevets count, regardless of ride location.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #824 on: 05 November, 2020, 10:08:35 am »
I don't intend to ride longer anyways; last weekend I attempted a 600 for a last minute SR qualification but rain and electronic gremlins were enough to dissolve my motivation and I scratched half way.

Assuming you had much the same weather up in Groningen we had down in the Randstad, you're mighty brave for attempting a ride at the weekend. The building was shaking in the wind for a lot of the weekend. A canoe may have been a good choice given the amount of rain we had...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/