Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113879 times)

Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #875 on: 09 November, 2020, 04:06:37 pm »
I've just had a query from someone living in Wales, asking if he can ride my Holyhead-Prestatyn-Holyhead 200, as it wouldn't involve going through England for him to get there.  So while all my Perms that happen to go into Wales are currently unavailable, here is one that is entirely within Wales, so is fine for anyone who can get there.

I'm thinking of setting off for Barnard Castle to ride a Perm.  Perhaps I ought to arrange to have an eye test while I'm there.

« Reply #876 on: 09 November, 2020, 05:05:11 pm »
Cummings, number 7, you're time's up!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #877 on: 09 November, 2020, 10:04:26 pm »
I've just had a query from someone living in Wales, asking if he can ride my Holyhead-Prestatyn-Holyhead 200, as it wouldn't involve going through England for him to get there.  So while all my Perms that happen to go into Wales are currently unavailable, here is one that is entirely within Wales, so is fine for anyone who can get there.

I'm thinking of setting off for Barnard Castle to ride a Perm.  Perhaps I ought to arrange to have an eye test while I'm there.

I have had a similar query on the Cambrian Series.  The Welsh regulations are clear, there are no restrictions on travel within Wales, but no unnecessary travel to and from England.  That means that a 200km permanent is fine as long as it is wholly in Wales and the rider comes from Wales (you could not travel from England to Wales to ride the event).  Given the guidance from AUK on permanents, I will be able to validate Cambrian Series permanents on that basis.

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #878 on: 09 November, 2020, 10:13:19 pm »

I have had a similar query on the Cambrian Series.  The Welsh regulations are clear, there are no restrictions on travel within Wales, but no unnecessary travel to and from England.  That means that a 200km permanent is fine as long as it is wholly in Wales and the rider comes from Wales (you could not travel from England to Wales to ride the event).  Given the guidance from AUK on permanents, I will be able to validate Cambrian Series permanents on that basis.

Cambrian entries coming your way from Poste Restante, Cardiff Post Office  ;)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #879 on: 09 November, 2020, 10:16:55 pm »

Cambrian entries coming your way from Poste Restante, Cardiff Post Office  ;)

For those of you with long memories, you may recall the Two Ronnies, "The Worm That Turned", even if the humour is almost certainly inappropriate for these days.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #880 on: 13 November, 2020, 05:14:07 pm »
Has anybody seen or heard anything about the CUK request to the government for hard and fast rules on how long/far cycling is allowed?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #881 on: 13 November, 2020, 05:21:45 pm »
Has anybody seen or heard anything about the CUK request to the government for hard and fast rules on how long/far cycling is allowed?
I don't think the Government care how far you cycle. Which is a shame, as they don't seem to care much about any other aspect of this lockdown. They have imposed it half heartedly...
Traffic is normal, people around as normal and big queues in front of the food outlets open for take away business.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #882 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:28:10 pm »
lockdown lite ;D

(the r number is falling steadily, which is what govt wants)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #883 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:40:05 pm »
Traffic is normal, people around as normal and big queues in front of the food outlets open for take away business.

It's great isn't it!  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #884 on: 13 November, 2020, 08:13:43 pm »
I'd say traffic's around 70% of normal here, a bit less at the weekend. I preferred it when it was nearer 20% but hey those days are gone. Glad if they didn't actually give a definitive answer though, cos it would have been inevitably awkward.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #885 on: 14 November, 2020, 07:35:31 am »

It's great isn't it!  ;D

It just means that people are desensitised and need a new level of "bad" to stick to the lockdown rules... something along the lines of corpses abandoned by the side of the road, like we saw in South America in the spring. Numbers and stats don't work anymore, they need to see the real thing

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #886 on: 14 November, 2020, 10:42:19 am »
There's been no humanising of the death toll in the UK, 50,000 now. Really a pobi post though.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #887 on: 14 November, 2020, 11:49:03 am »

It's great isn't it!  ;D

It just means that people are desensitised and need a new level of "bad" to stick to the lockdown rules... something along the lines of corpses abandoned by the side of the road, like we saw in South America in the spring. Numbers and stats don't work anymore, they need to see the real thing
Alternatively they've got a healthy appreciation of the minimal risk to themselves, and a sound philosophy that says that other people "Granny" can't expect them to shut down their lives indefinitely  for her sake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #888 on: 14 November, 2020, 11:59:25 am »

It's great isn't it!  ;D

Perhaps these people are following the rules? Perhaps they're NHS workers, keen to keep the pandemic under control. They just fancy a Big-Mac, and the rules allow it currently.

I'd rather traffic went back down to April levels, but realistically it's not cars that spread Corona so I choose not to moan about it. (or invent my own extra rules for other people)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #889 on: 14 November, 2020, 12:23:03 pm »

It's great isn't it!  ;D

Alternatively they've got a healthy appreciation of the minimal risk to themselves, and a sound philosophy that says that other people "Granny" can't expect them to shut down their lives indefinitely  for her sake.

^ Thatcher's child

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #890 on: 14 November, 2020, 12:23:19 pm »

It's great isn't it!  ;D

Perhaps these people are following the rules? Perhaps they're NHS workers, keen to keep the pandemic under control. They just fancy a Big-Mac, and the rules allow it currently.

I'd rather traffic went back down to April levels, but realistically it's not cars that spread Corona so I choose not to moan about it. (or invent my own extra rules for other people)

There is no moaning. Whether you like it or not, there is a direct correlation between how many people leave the house and how many infections will come as a result.
So if you see more traffic than last time and more people around than last time, all it means is that the lockdown will be less effective than last time. It will bring the R value below one, but not by much and not as quickly. The result is obviously is a stubbornly high number of people in hospitals over the winter and of course deaths piling up.
This is a fact.

They are not all NHS workers, they are not all supposed to be around, they are just less intimidated than they were in spring and the message "stay at home" is not as strong as it was in spring (I think BoJo said it once).
For instance, my neighbour wasn't even home last night and he's not back yet. Should I report him or should I report the other lady living on the opposite side of the road who seems to have people around despite the lockdown? In the end I mind my own business, as we mostly tend to do, but I can't help noticing...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #891 on: 14 November, 2020, 01:22:47 pm »
There is no moaning. Whether you like it or not, there is a direct correlation between how many people leave the house and how many infections will come as a result.
So if you see more traffic than last time and more people around than last time, all it means is that the lockdown will be less effective than last time. It will bring the R value below one, but not by much and not as quickly. The result is obviously is a stubbornly high number of people in hospitals over the winter and of course deaths piling up.
This is a fact.

They are not all NHS workers, they are not all supposed to be around, they are just less intimidated than they were in spring and the message "stay at home" is not as strong as it was in spring (I think BoJo said it once).
For instance, my neighbour wasn't even home last night and he's not back yet. Should I report him or should I report the other lady living on the opposite side of the road who seems to have people around despite the lockdown? In the end I mind my own business, as we mostly tend to do, but I can't help noticing...
Noticing, but not moaning?  ;D

Anyway, visiting other households (especially staying indoors overnight), whether on foot, brompton or car, is a much better transmission vector than driving to a takeaway that is following all appropriate measures. (I cycled to a small independent cafe yesterday before the rains arrived - they were very conscientious, and us few customers Q-ed quite sensibly on the pavement, thankyouverymuch.)

Suggest you shop them, for the good of all of us  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #892 on: 14 November, 2020, 01:49:02 pm »

For those of you with long memories, you may recall the Two Ronnies, "The Worm That Turned", even if the humour is almost certainly inappropriate for these days.
Wow, you are Mr Memory. I remember TWTT, but I had to google for the Wales aspect!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Ronnies#The_Worm_That_Turned_(1980)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #893 on: 14 November, 2020, 01:55:19 pm »

Me?

I am a lockdown winner... the longer this thing goes on, the better off I am, sad as it sounds. Working from home has been life changing, I am in no rush to head back to the office any time soon. I hope my age group doesn't get a vaccine until next autumn...
That said, I am mindful of what the rules are and I stick to them religiously... it's a bit odd to see those that have more to lose from the all Covid saga and can't help themselves

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #894 on: 14 November, 2020, 02:11:58 pm »

Me?

I am a lockdown winner... the longer this thing goes on, the better off I am, sad as it sounds. Working from home has been life changing, I am in no rush to head back to the office any time soon. I hope my age group doesn't get a vaccine until next autumn...
That said, I am mindful of what the rules are and I stick to them religiously... it's a bit odd to see those that have more to lose from the all Covid saga and can't help themselves

Wow, you really are a prize specimen.  If you're a "winner", how about you stop parading your own easy compliance around to people who've lost out more than you.  The least you can do is stop shoving your own smug self-righteousness in our faces.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #895 on: 14 November, 2020, 02:47:52 pm »
Instead take smug self-righteousness out on the roads on a long bike ride  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #896 on: 14 November, 2020, 03:14:54 pm »

Me?

Wow, you really are a prize specimen.  If you're a "winner", how about you stop parading your own easy compliance around to people who've lost out more than you.  The least you can do is stop shoving your own smug self-righteousness in our faces.

The next step in that thought process is to consider why those people have lost out.

Yes, its circular, isn't it.  ;)

« Reply #897 on: 14 November, 2020, 03:54:42 pm »

Absolutely. I can't stand people who won't take covid seriously.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #898 on: 14 November, 2020, 04:14:16 pm »
I should also point out that my compliance would be the same, even if I was less comfortable in following the rules...

You either believe in the collective good or you don't... clearly a lot of people don't. It's interesting that the same neighbours who seemingly ignore the lockdown, also ignore other things like recycling glass, plastic and paper or educating your fuxxing dog not to bark at night... it's part and parcel of the same sense of responsibility... you have it or you don't

Ben T

« Reply #899 on: 14 November, 2020, 05:48:00 pm »

Me?

You don’t need Covid or lockdown to work from home you know. You can choose to work from home anyway. If your current employer moans, tell them to shove their office up their orifice and find another one.
Don’t ask, tell.