Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113896 times)

Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #925 on: 10 December, 2020, 08:13:14 am »
My understanding is that  sport and exercise guidelines are agreed between the Ministry for Media and Sport and the recognised sport representative/ governing body. This is British Cycling.
Where there is mention or organised activities, my reading is that they mean things like Bikeability or coached sessions - usually not on the public Highway.
My reading is that groups of up to 6 are allowed, keeping to a 1.5 metre separation in general. Riders can ride, and stop, within their own Tier area. They may pass through another Tier area, but should not stop, even if these Tier is the same level to the one they started in. My interpretation of stopping would be something that could involve any interaction with others outside your ride group - I don’t think mending a puncture would be seen as a transgression.
That’s my ( and others) interpretation. Others may, I’m sure, differ.

Personally I think that BC has done a decent job, other countries have much more restrictive rules. It doesn’t matter whether you are a BC member or not, they are the recognised body for cycling for Government negotiations. It is worth noting however, that if a BC member is not keeping to the guidelines, may be invalidating their insurance with them. Has anyone had any guidance from AUK ‘s insurers for a view?

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20200512-about-bc-news-British-Cycling-Updated-Coronavirus-Guidance-0   

« Reply #926 on: 10 December, 2020, 09:42:24 am »
My reading is that groups of up to 6 are allowed, keeping to a 1.5 metre separation in general. Riders can ride, and stop, within their own Tier area. They may pass through another Tier area, but should not stop, even if these Tier is the same level to the one they started in.

There's absolutely nothing to back this up in either the government rules or the BC guidelines. If you live in a Tier 1 or 2 area you may treat all other Tier 1 or 2 areas like your own.

« Reply #927 on: 10 December, 2020, 09:44:34 am »
My reading is that groups of up to 6 are allowed, keeping to a 1.5 metre separation in general. Riders can ride, and stop, within their own Tier area. They may pass through another Tier area, but should not stop, even if these Tier is the same level to the one they started in.

There's absolutely nothing to back this up in either the government rules or the BC guidelines. If you live in a Tier 1 or 2 area you may treat all other Tier 1 or 2 areas like your own.

You’ll find it under the BC guidance for clubs and groups.

« Reply #928 on: 10 December, 2020, 10:12:15 am »

Where exactly?

rob

« Reply #929 on: 10 December, 2020, 10:23:41 am »
CTT guidance has come out this morning.

Events in Tier 3 areas are banned.  Events in Tiers 1 & 2 can got ahead.   Riders, officials etc. cannot travel to an event if they live in a Tier 3 area.

There's no racing for a while but at least they have set the rules out early.

AFAICS the only limitation from AUK is the cap of 200k on distance to avoid overnight riding.   Hopefully the Spring will bring a relaxation.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #930 on: 10 December, 2020, 10:24:51 am »
Haven't read the BC guidelines recently, but pretty sure that gov guidelines allow free movement between "areas" (just as in 2019!), EXCEPT where Tier3 is involved.

Interestingly I got my first email from CTT about this a few days ago. They make a similar point:

Tier 1/2:
... That means no-one (whether that be competitors, race officials or anyone associated with the event) should travel to the event if they live in a Tier 3 area.
Tier 3:
...  There is a limited exception to this in that Type B “club” events can be held, PROVIDED THAT everyone who competes in the event or helps out at the event, (whether that be a race official or otherwise), is from that same Tier 3 area.  People from Tier 1, Tier 2 or any other Tier 3 areas must not attend the event. It is strongly recommended that if this exception is to be relied on, the event is kept to a small scale so as to make the event and compliance with the above easier to manage

EDIT: Ha - Cross-post with Rob! I'll leave mine for authenticity, but also note the email stamp for completeness: Wed 9Dec 14:40
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #931 on: 10 December, 2020, 10:37:43 am »
 :)

Despite updating my e-mail address for CTT they still send newsletters to my old e-mail address which I only check every couple of days.   I just happened to be reading it when this thread restarted.

I don't expect to race before May next year so I'm hoping a lot of things will be easier by then.

« Reply #932 on: 10 December, 2020, 01:49:54 pm »

Where exactly?

Can my group ride pass through other areas in different tiers?

We know that many of you will often begin your ride in one area and cross into others as part of your normal routes, and this is vital to helping individuals to stay active and access quieter roads and green spaces.

Groups from ‘Medium’ (Tier 1) or ‘High’ (Tier 2) areas are permitted to pass through a ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) area as part of their route, however they should not stop for a break while in that area.

Groups from ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) areas are permitted to pass through ‘Medium’ (Tier 1), ‘High’ (Tier 2) or other ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) areas as part of their route, however they should only stop for a break while within their own area.

« Reply #933 on: 10 December, 2020, 03:56:23 pm »
Think you two are talking cross purposes. You can ride into another area that has the same tier level and you can stop at a cafe etc whilst there. You can ride into a higher tier area but don’t interact with anyone whilst there.

« Reply #934 on: 10 December, 2020, 04:13:50 pm »
We know that many of you will often begin your ride in one area and cross into others as part of your normal routes, and this is vital to helping individuals to stay active and access quieter roads and green spaces.

Groups from ‘Medium’ (Tier 1) or ‘High’ (Tier 2) areas are permitted to pass through a ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) area as part of their route, however they should not stop for a break while in that area.

Groups from ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) areas are permitted to pass through ‘Medium’ (Tier 1), ‘High’ (Tier 2) or other ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) areas as part of their route, however they should only stop for a break while within their own area.

That's silent on whether travelling from one Tier 1 or 2 area to another (and stopping) is allowed. Since it's unambiguously allowed by government rules, it would be a huge leap for BC to add a restriction.

« Reply #935 on: 10 December, 2020, 05:27:13 pm »
I think we might see a new Tier 4 after Christmas when the figures get released following all of the brain-dead party-ing!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #936 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:53:26 pm »
I think we might see a new Tier 4 after Christmas when the figures get released following all of the brain-dead party-ing!
A post ahead of its time....
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #937 on: 31 December, 2020, 03:19:29 pm »
New RRtY rules for the period from November 2020 to at least until the end of Covid-19 Tier 4 restrictions
I know how precious RRtY is to many AUK members and how emotive it can be, therefore, to be as ecumenical as possible with the current travel restriction guidance, in addition to the current restart allowance for 6 months from August 2020 these two clauses are added:
  • If you are able to ride a DiY, Perm or Calendar Brevet Randonneur to keep an active RRtY series ticking along then please feel free do so.
  • If you have an active series and genuinely cannot ride a BR, or feel it irresponsible to do so in your area, then the missed months will be handled as 'in suspension' for the purpose of RRtY validation.
This is a solution to allow those that are able to continue riding without penalising or placing undue pressure on those unable to ride a BR.  I will be flexible with RRtY validations at this time because I do not want anyone to ride a BR 'just' to get their tick for the month.

Each series validation claim is manually handled with a little automation but mainly in my local wetware computation device.  As the validation flexibility will undoubtedly place more demand on the wetware CPU to help me out please submit series claims during this time with these considerations:
  • Submit your claim at the RRtY form or email to rrty@audax.uk calling out the months affected by the C-19 Tier restrictions.
  • C-19 Tier restriction suspension is in place for the sole purpose of encouraging responsible riding during the pandemic, it is not for reasons listed below but not limited to:
    (i)   It's a bit cold, I fancy a month off
    (ii)  I fell off due to ice/diesel/other unspecified reason and can't ride for a few weeks - that falls under the usual RRtY rules of hard luck and GWS!
    (iii) Aunt Mabel wanted a Zoom call and stopped me going out
Please ride responsibly and above all stay safe & healthy - RRtY will be there waiting for you on the other side!

Happy New Year and lets hope 2021 is better for everyone,
huggy
RRtY Secretary
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #938 on: 31 December, 2020, 04:29:18 pm »
Thanks Huggy - this seems sensible, especially given the likelihood of further changes to tiers as things develop over the next few weeks.  Hopefully this time the covid situation will at last improve by the Spring.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #939 on: 01 January, 2021, 10:28:38 pm »
 :thumbsup: Re the possibility of skipping a month for covid reasons, but being fairly new to the RRTY game would it be possible to still use a DIY I invent that stays within my tier 4 area and doesn't stray too far from home?
Appreciate the logistics of planning such a ride could be tricky (I'm new to the CIY thing too, but assume would need to carry all provisions), but is it in theory possible?

Ta muchly!

« Reply #940 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:11:49 am »
:thumbsup: Re the possibility of skipping a month for covid reasons, but being fairly new to the RRTY game would it be possible to still use a DIY I invent that stays within my tier 4 area and doesn't stray too far from home?

Yes, a DIY that stays within the boundaries of your area (which is usually your county) is permissible. A mandatory route DIY is probably the easiest to arrange for this purpose, and allows plenty of ‘non-straight’ routing to build up the distance.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #941 on: 02 January, 2021, 08:52:39 am »
Yes, aim for 202-205km for your DIY. Take a flask of hot chocolate with you and spare layers for when stopped.  Keep stops short, enough to have a snack and some hot chocolate and get going before you chill too much.  I have found a quick snack stop, say for a short bread finger, once an hour, works well. Then have one longer stop for something savoury.

If you want to plan a two different loops route via your home then go for it. But be aware about the inertia that can happen at home after the first loop.

« Reply #942 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:45:52 am »
Very twisty routes, and multiple-loop routes, are getting popular! With mandatory routing, and validation by GPS, they work very well. Repeated laps, as ever, aren't allowed, but you can use any loop twice by going round it in both directions.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #943 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:31:47 pm »
Fortunately Essex is BIG - especially with the lost bits added into our Tier 4 area. I covered 331 miles to roughly circumnavigate the pre-1970 county boundary in August.
I've just worked out two decent 200km routes, one consists of two loops, so back home for lunch. Only a few bonus kms needed to avoid main roads like the A414 out of Maldon or to get better A12 crossings, and all with traditional proof-of-passage, for the Luddites (ie me):

Dunmow-Saffron Walden-Copford-Southminster-Billericay-Old Harlow-Dunmow

Dunmow-Saffron Walden-Steeple Bumpstead-Colne Engaine-Dunmow-Tollebury-Stock-Dunmow

About as little wiggling around as is possible. I may have a stab at something with fewer controls, but I feel extending out to places like Harwich along with returning through Colchester) and also going further south will entail a lot of main road and urban avoidance issues.

« Reply #944 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:36:22 pm »
I wonder how many Londoners are coming up with silly routes and how many are giving up.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #945 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:39:58 pm »
These Londoners are off that treadmill for a bit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #946 on: 02 January, 2021, 02:20:54 pm »
I’ve got into the habit of doing two loop 200’s, leaving home around 3am for a 110-120km loop, then home for an hour for brekky, followed by the shorter loop with maybe an outside takeaway coffee stop (more so to support them). I so miss calendar events though.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #947 on: 02 January, 2021, 03:52:31 pm »
I wonder how many Londoners are coming up with silly routes and how many are giving up.
I think one of the AC Hackney-ites did a 200km in Greater London recently, but I don't have any more details.

Basically it's pretty restrictive being stuck in Greater London as there are very few quiet or rural roads, and any route is likely to be slow (either by being on urban roads with traffic lights or being on shared used and/or busy cycle paths). Also the "two loops" idea really doesn't work well if you live in inner London as you end up cycling in the densest urban area four times!

« Reply #948 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:41:13 pm »
Just finished fettling my 200 for next Sat. A loop of 125km, followed by a loop of 76km. One loop inside the other.  Lunch at home in between, before my wife kicks me back out for the second loop. I’m making the second loop much shorter than first as I think that’ll make it easier to get going again if I’m wavering.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #949 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:35:37 am »
Unsurprisingly, all AUK events in England suspended. See: https://audax.uk/news/covid-19-update-04-january-2021/

Andy Corless