Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113891 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #950 on: 05 January, 2021, 10:03:41 am »
surprising to me, not sure what PMBJ said last night that differs from the other devolved nations about permitted exercise

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #951 on: 05 January, 2021, 11:11:29 am »
surprising to me, not sure what PMBJ said last night that differs from the other devolved nations about permitted exercise

From the government web site:

"You should minimise time spent outside your home.
It is against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are
part of your household or support bubble. You can only leave your home
to exercise, and not for the purpose of recreation or leisure (e.g. a picnic
or a social meeting). This should be limited to once per day, and you
should not travel outside your local area
."

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

GdS

« Reply #952 on: 05 January, 2021, 11:32:26 am »
That doesn't prohibit solo perms or with 1 other rider within your county. If AUK are taking the view that perms increase time spent outside to an unacceptable level fair enough but nothing there specifically precludes rides up to 200k

simonp

« Reply #953 on: 05 January, 2021, 11:45:32 am »
Exmoor is in my county, but it is certainly not in my local area.

Davef

« Reply #954 on: 05 January, 2021, 11:48:00 am »

From the government web site:

"You should minimise time spent outside your home.
It is against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are
part of your household or support bubble. You can only leave your home
to exercise, and not for the purpose of recreation or leisure (e.g. a picnic
or a social meeting). This should be limited to once per day, and you
should not travel outside your local area
."
The government seem to distinguish between travel and exercise. I will await BC guidance on what is reasonable and necessary when it comes to cycling but I imagine it would fall somewhere between the interpretations “do not pass your village boundary” and “200km is fine”

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #955 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:00:07 pm »
You'd think that by now we should all know what is meant by our 'local area'  ::-)  but I don't - but I'd assume that it doesn't extend more than 10km from my home, could be a lot less. 
10km allows you a circular ride of 31km, you'd need 7 of those (all different) to make  a 200.  You'd probably get by with 6 circuits of imperfect shape.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Davef

« Reply #957 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:07:20 pm »
Your local area is your village, town or part of the city that you live in.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #958 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:16:19 pm »
New RRtY rules for the period from November 2020 to at least until the end of Covid-19 Tier 4 restrictions
I know how precious RRtY is to many AUK members and how emotive it can be, therefore, to be as ecumenical as possible with the current travel restriction guidance, in addition to the current restart allowance for 6 months from August 2020 these two clauses are added:
  • If you are able to ride a DiY, Perm or Calendar Brevet Randonneur to keep an active RRtY series ticking along then please feel free do so.
  • If you have an active series and genuinely cannot ride a BR, or feel it irresponsible to do so in your area, then the missed months will be handled as 'in suspension' for the purpose of RRtY validation.
This is a solution to allow those that are able to continue riding without penalising or placing undue pressure on those unable to ride a BR.  I will be flexible with RRtY validations at this time because I do not want anyone to ride a BR 'just' to get their tick for the month.

I have a series with 9 months so far, and need to do 3 more, but have not yet restarted due to lockdown stuffs. With the revised rules, do I still need to restart by February?

I don't understand what the new rules mean.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #959 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:36:42 pm »
You'd think that by now we should all know what is meant by our 'local area'  ::-)  but I don't - but I'd assume that it doesn't extend more than 10km from my home, could be a lot less. 
10km allows you a circular ride of 31km, you'd need 7 of those (all different) to make  a 200.  You'd probably get by with 6 circuits of imperfect shape.

10k radius is 63k circumference.

« Reply #960 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:51:29 pm »

So 3 loops would be sufficient for a 200. (Given you have to ride 10km to get to the loop and 10km back home at the end.)

(But that assumes there is a route that closely follows a 10km radius circle. Many places won't have that at all given the lack of roads in open countryside.)

A 25km radius would be sufficient for a 200km ride with just one loop (25 * pi * 2 = 157km + 25km to and 25km from the loop = 207km.)

25km would just about be "within an hour of home" too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Davef

« Reply #961 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:11:30 pm »

So 3 loops would be sufficient for a 200. (Given you have to ride 10km to get to the loop and 10km back home at the end.)

(But that assumes there is a route that closely follows a 10km radius circle. Many places won't have that at all given the lack of roads in open countryside.)

A 25km radius would be sufficient for a 200km ride with just one loop (25 * pi * 2 = 157km + 25km to and 25km from the loop = 207km.)

25km would just about be "within an hour of home" too.

Never really looked at the village from the air before. Fortuitous road layout.

« Reply #962 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:14:25 pm »
Some nutter will be along soon suggesting doing loops of sometime like the MK/National Bowl. Like anyone is silly enough to do that again and again day after day.

« Reply #963 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:22:49 pm »
 ;D

GdS

« Reply #964 on: 05 January, 2021, 03:28:28 pm »

Thanks that's the definition I was after. Although I won't be doing Audax rides I will certainly be going outside my town for exercise, as the March lockdown proved very quickly that that many people all walking / running / dog pulling along the same roads / footpaths* gets very crowded and not safe

If they are going to be that draconian they need to set a geographical limit like in France (2km IIRC)

* and muddy!

« Reply #965 on: 05 January, 2021, 03:30:44 pm »

Thanks that's the definition I was after. Although I won't be doing Audax rides I will certainly be going outside my town for exercise, as the March lockdown proved very quickly that that many people all walking / running / dog pulling along the same roads / footpaths* gets very crowded and not safe

If they are going to be that draconian they need to set a geographical limit like in France (2km IIRC)

* and muddy!

For some of us the “ village” = Parish? Isn’t much more than 2km at best!

Davef

« Reply #966 on: 05 January, 2021, 03:42:08 pm »

* and muddy!

I am sure there will be some tweaking. Currently non essential shops can’t open apart from a click and collect service. However only leaving your home to purchase basic necessities is allowed, so those click and collect for non essential items should be very quiet.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #967 on: 05 January, 2021, 03:50:55 pm »

I am sure there will be some tweaking. Currently non essential shops can’t open apart from a click and collect service. However only leaving your home to purchase basic necessities is allowed, so those click and collect for non essential items should be very quiet.

On the high street today:
Robert Dyas open: WHSmith open, independent shop selling various paraphernalia from laundry baskets to brooms and pans open; independent pet shop open; Poundland open; Bike shop open; Florist open for click and collect only. All cafes open for takeaway only

Which shops exactly are not essential?

« Reply #968 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:02:22 pm »
Some nutter will be along soon suggesting doing loops of sometime like the MK/National Bowl. Like anyone is silly enough to do that again and again day after day.
I think TG is gonna be busy delivering McD etc
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #969 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:14:26 pm »

I've got about 800 metres to play with, parish does give me a small loop - fortunately I'm north of the border ;)

2021-01-05 (1) by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #970 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:24:35 pm »
Robert Dyas open: WHSmith open, independent shop selling various paraphernalia from laundry baskets to brooms and pans open; independent pet shop open; Poundland open; Bike shop open; Florist open for click and collect only. All cafes open for takeaway only

I guess you'll find out tomorrow when the legislation kicks in officially.

Many shops have tried to get around the "essential" status by sticking a fridge with a few bottles of water in the corner of the shop. That (unless it's an urban myth) allows them to classify themselves as essential and stay open.

Davef

« Reply #971 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:33:22 pm »

On that list only the florist is non essential, and that is why it is click and collect. Some of it comes down to personal responsibility. If a shop sells confectionery and diy goods, going there to buy diy goods to fix a leak is fine. buying a chocolate bar incidental to that that is ok. Going out to buy a chocolate bar or browse not so much.

« Reply #972 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:54:53 pm »
Many shops have tried to get around the "essential" status by sticking a fridge with a few bottles of water in the corner of the shop. That (unless it's an urban myth) allows them to classify themselves as essential and stay open.

Not an urban myth but apparently the loophole has been closed to some at least now

Little Red Gallery

GdS

« Reply #973 on: 05 January, 2021, 05:00:07 pm »
My nearest shop is a mahoosive Tesco complete with an upstairs (of which nothing could be classed as essential IIRC apart from mops and buckets etc which could easily be moved downstairs next to where barbecues etc are displayed ) but that has never closed. The whole shop has been fairly lacksadaisical since the first lockdown was relaxed and since having to wear masks has made social distancing pretty much impossible. So I tend to use Co-Op which as well as being mush less crowded has nice self serve checkouts that nobody else seems to know how to use.

And the local farm shop which has doubled in size with nice new automatic doors since lockdown

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #974 on: 05 January, 2021, 06:50:20 pm »
I was quite impressed by Deacthlon during the Autumn Lockdown: they had cordoned off everything bar the bike section.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles