Author Topic: Boris Johnson "After Rome"  (Read 19515 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Boris Johnson "After Rome"
« Reply #100 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:53:43 am »
I think the mess Johnson is making of the city is explanation enough.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #101 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:54:41 am »
I think the mess Johnson is making of the city is explanation enough.

Yeah - but my explanation is far more fun!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #102 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:55:15 am »
Oh - no doubt of that! ;)
Getting there...

spindrift

« Reply #103 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:06:17 pm »
I don't hate Johnson.  I don't love London.  But I don't think even London deserves his level of folly.

The posters here who do not adulate Johnson seem rather more polite and circumspect than his supporters, Regulator's post above is blocked in Norwich Forum Library for being "crude and offensive".

Another sterling contribution.

spindrift

« Reply #104 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:10:23 pm »
I don't hate Johnson.  I don't love London.  But I don't think even London deserves his level of folly.

More on Johnson and cyclists:

Question No: 2697 / 2008
Jenny Jones

How many LCN+ borough cycling schemes put forward for 2009/10 were unfunded in the Transport for London settlement with the boroughs? What is the total number of schemes which have either gone, or are going, through the LCN+ CRISP study process, and now remain without funding?

Jenny’s strategy of embarrassing the Mayor by demonstrating that he isn’t the cyclist’s friend he claims continues.  More to the point, the London Cycling Campaign aren’t happy with Boris.

And:

Question No: 2720 / 2008
Jenny Jones

Can you explain the apparent contradiction between scrapping the Victoria Embankment Garden project which was due to deliver a cycle track along Embankment and your statement in ‘Way to Go’ that it is a disgrace that there is no cycle track there?

Question No: 2756 / 2008
John Biggs
Did you consult with cyclist groups when developing this initiative? Please, if so, describe the extent of your consultation and if not why not?

See the LCC for details of how they were consulted (and ignored, in the end).

Question No: 2780 / 2008
Valerie Shawcross
How many fatal and serious accidents involving cyclists and non-articulated buses have there been each year since 2005/06?

Important question - I see what you’re trying to do there, Val.  I’m aware of one fatality this year, on Park Lane, involving a 74 double decker.

spindrift

« Reply #105 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:12:05 pm »

Finally:

Serious question again.

Question No: 2903 / 2008
Caroline Pidgeon

You claim to be very keen to get more people cycling in London, but have cut funding for cycle schemes by half. Given that the Chief Executive of the London Cycling Campaign has strongly condemned this funding cut, why have you disregarded the views of cycling organisations in London?

I am tremendously looking forward to Johnson answering that list of questions....

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #106 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:21:05 pm »
Boris is a day-in-day-out townie bike commuter and has been since before it became fashionable and compulsory for Tories.

Therefore, he can do no wrong.

« Reply #107 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:22:32 pm »
Regulator's post above is blocked in Norwich Forum Library for being "crude and offensive".

Bloody ell! Reg's done it now! They don't like it up 'em in Norwich.

spindrift

« Reply #108 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:24:17 pm »
Boris is a day-in-day-out townie bike commuter and has been since before it became fashionable and compulsory for Tories.

He exploited his lovable cyclist image in the election, and has completely ignored cyclists' interests since being elected.

As the questions above demonstrate, his honesty is questionable too, he's been asked about his bendy bus lies before and refused to say why he claimed they kill cyclists...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #109 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:29:47 pm »
Quite an amusing answer in the Houes of Lords Questions yesterday. The topic was the lack of foreign language provision in London for tourists, especially on public transport, and what's going to happen in the Olympics. This question was kicked around a bit and finally someone asked how many languages the Mayor of London could speak.

The Govt. spokesman's answer was "I have heard him speak Latin, although perhaps dog-Latin would be more appropriate, and some say that he can speak English."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

spindrift

« Reply #110 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:30:42 pm »
He speaks Latin, and Esperanto, like a native.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #111 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:53:43 pm »
Man:   Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.
Receptionist:    Certainly sir. Have you been here before?
Man:   No, I haven't, this is my first time...

Sorry, I thought this was an Arts and Ents thread about a TV programme.  I seem to have stumbled into a parallel universe where it's a London-centric political argument about the mayor of a largeish city.  Ho hum.

Do carry on...  ::-)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

spindrift

« Reply #112 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:59:10 pm »
I was asked a question redshift, that's why I answered it.

Regulator

« Reply #113 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:14:12 pm »
Man:   Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.
Receptionist:    Certainly sir. Have you been here before?
Man:   No, I haven't, this is my first time...

Sorry, I thought this was an Arts and Ents thread about a TV programme.  I seem to have stumbled into a parallel universe where it's a London-centric political argument about the mayor of a largeish city.  Ho hum.

Do carry on...  ::-)

;D

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #114 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:31:25 pm »
Quite an amusing answer in the Houes of Lords Questions yesterday. The topic was the lack of foreign language provision in London for tourists, especially on public transport, and what's going to happen in the Olympics. This question was kicked around a bit and finally someone asked how many languages the Mayor of London could speak.

The Govt. spokesman's answer was "I have heard him speak Latin, although perhaps dog-Latin would be more appropriate, and some say that he can speak English."

I believe that he also speaks Classical Greek and some Aramaic...

More up to date, I understand he also can get by quite well in French, Spanish and Italian, as well as Esperanto.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #115 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:32:42 pm »
As fluent as he is in English? ;D
Getting there...

cometworm

« Reply #116 on: 17 December, 2008, 10:49:17 pm »

I believe that he also speaks Classical Greek and some Aramaic...

More up to date, I understand he also can get by quite well in French, Spanish and Italian, as well as Esperanto.

Judging by the programme named in the OP he also speaks Spanish pretty well.

Regulator

« Reply #117 on: 18 December, 2008, 04:40:57 pm »

Judging by the programme named in the OP he also speaks Spanish pretty well.

Tish and piffle....

Dontcha know you're not supposed to say anything that could be construed as positive about BoJo - otherwise you're an Eton toff supporting lackey of the imperialist oppressor.

Green Party Councillor

LEE

« Reply #118 on: 18 December, 2008, 05:38:28 pm »

Re. the original post

Johnson’s either a racist idiot with a nasty tendency to Islamaphobia, or a hired journalistic prostitute, willing to do anything, even whip up hatred of muslims, in exchange for cash.

He said whatever came into his head (or was suggested by someone more important).

He was, is and will always be a Wanker.  It's not like anyone should be surprised.  He looks like a wanker, talks like a wanker and acts like a wanker.  He always did, he always does and he always will do.

What was it about anything he has ever actually done (not said he'd do) that made anyone think he wasn't a wanker?

He's a Thatcherite therefore he will do everything in his power to ensure his rich cronies do OK using whatever powers he has.

His cronies drive big cars into London and he will ensure this doesn't change.

Why would he care about hippie cyclists that most likely hate him and the Tories?

Why is anyone so surprised?  He's an English George Bush,  a puppet controlled by rich and powerful "friends".

I'm a Manc so it's funny to see Boris Johnson as London's pathetic, bumbling idiot of a figurehead (Londoners had a choice and they chose Boris Johnson, that's funny, tourists will think Londoners are like that) but as a Brit I find it embarrassing that he represents my capital city.

If he wrote those things then of course he's Islamaphobic.  Try substituting "Christians" and "Christianity", or "Blacks" and "Africans" for "Muslims" and "Islam".  Try writing the same article unsing those terms and see what happens.

If he thinks the Koran is tough on unbelievers he should check out the Bible.

Wanker (but not only for the Islam thing)

I meen ferchristssake he basically got in on a manifesto of banning some Bendy buses (that turn out not to be all that dangerous anyway)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #119 on: 18 December, 2008, 05:50:46 pm »
If he wrote those things then of course he's Islamaphobic.  Try substituting "Christians" and "Christianity", or "Blacks" and "Africans" for "Muslims" and "Islam".  Try writing the same article unsing those terms and see what happens.

OK.

To any non-Christian reader of the Rapturist texts, Christianophobia - fear of Christianity - seems a natural reaction, and, indeed, exactly what that text is intended to provoke. Judged purely on its scripture - to say nothing of what is preached in the churches - it is the most viciously sectarian of all religions in its heartlessness towards reality. As the killer of xyz told his victim’s mother this week in a Dutch courtroom, he could not care for her, could not sympathise, because she was not a Christian. - [excised as no parallel]

The trouble with this disgusting ignorance and condescension is that it is widely supported in Biblical texts, and we look in vain for the enlightened Christian teachers and preachers who will begin the process of reform. What is going on in these churches and creationist schools? When is someone going to get 18th century on Christianity's mediaeval ass?

I've pretended that we're talking about Rapturism or one of the other American bible-based creationist fringe churches.

Would that be phobic?  Or even offensive?  It sounds like Dawkins to me - strident but not offensive.

If he thinks the Koran is tough on unbelievers he should check out the Bible.

Citation needed...

Have some help.

The Bible is quite clear that unbelievers are going to hell, but there's no call for the faithful to speed them on their way. 

I have a serious problem with some of BoJo's stuff, but I don't think there is any reasonable way, unless of course you chop the text up and disorder it, that you could call the citation in the OP Islamophobic.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #120 on: 18 December, 2008, 09:37:45 pm »
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #121 on: 18 December, 2008, 09:47:32 pm »
You didn't read what I wrote.  There is a lot of confirmation there that unbelievers are off to hell, but there is no direction in the NT that believers should kill unbelievers.  The most you get is a direction to shun them, and even that's contradicted in Corinthians.

It's not an inclusive text - I didn't say it was.  According to the NT, most people - myself included - are straight off to a fiery pit.  But not even Paul, the least tolerant letter writer in the Bible, gives clear direction to go off and kill the unbelievers.  It's quite clear that if there's any casting into fiery pits to be done, it's for God to do, not man. 

The Koran is equally clear that the faithful are entitled to kill the unbelievers.  And that's before the encounter with the fiery pits.

So Lee's suggestion that the Bible is tougher on unbelievers than the Koran is wrong. 

I wasn't arguing that the Bible is sweetly sympathetic to unbelievers.

LEE

« Reply #122 on: 19 December, 2008, 02:34:35 pm »
Boris is Islamophobic because he conveniently groups every Muslim together as one hate-filled mob.

Islam isn't a thing, Muslims aren't a type.

Christian believers have spent centuries speeding non-believers on their way.

Edit.  It was a Chritian God that told George Bush and Tony Blair to go and kick Iraqi ass.

The Bible gives us permission to stone homesexual men to death (amongst others), I'm not sure why they don't get to hear God's decision.

Rules is rules though.  Now get me Dale Winton and a few pointy ones (and a bag of gravel)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #123 on: 19 December, 2008, 03:23:05 pm »
The Koran is equally clear that the faithful are entitled to kill the unbelievers.  And that's before the encounter with the fiery pits.

I'm not convinced you're right in saying that, Liz. Either for kafirs or apostates.

IIRC, the Qur'an only talks about punishment in the afterlife in either case.

The most quoted Sura is Sura 109 - which is explicit in saying the rather conciliatory

"You have you your religion and I mine".

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #124 on: 19 December, 2008, 03:26:58 pm »
Intolerance in the Quran

I'm really not sure there's anything in it, really.  And I find it weird when Christians, whose founding figure said that nothing of the old law would be changed try to argue that only the New Testament applies.

Of course, reading the Quran, you have to remember to factor in The Bible as well.
Getting there...