Author Topic: Possibly selling Windcheetah?  (Read 4934 times)

Possibly selling Windcheetah?
« on: 10 May, 2020, 10:19:58 am »
Morning folks, long time no speak.

I'm wondering about selling on my old Windcheetah as it's just taking up garage space and I haven't used it in years.  But I'm not sure on current market value of a 2nd hand one or what it's worth.     Would appreciate advice or thoughts please.

What info do I need when advertising (I spoke to Mike Burrows once, and when I gave the number I recall he said something along the lines of "I think that's one I used to use for commuting").  Where is best to advertise it?  etc etc etc.

Re: Possibly selling Windcheetah?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:02:55 am »
There's not much info online about them, so you will need lots of details (not just photos) - especially sizing.  I would also highlight what it's capable of (can you use it for audaxes, commuting; how does it deal with speedbumps and pot holes; can it take luggage; how much of a headache will it be to source spare parts?).  If you go on eBay there are a few Windcheetas that are on a rolling relist, so aren't selling.  That might give you an idea of starting price.
There's a post on the BHPC forum from someone who was looking to sell their bike, suggested to try and advertise on European sites as the £ is weak to the Euro.
Are you looking to sell to finance a replacement, or just for the space?  Trade-in might be an option that would save you time/effort.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:36:13 am »
Ta.

Really just considering selling as it's taking up space and not being used.  So a better home would be potentially better for it, and who doesn't want a little bit more beer money.   But if it'd go for peanuts then I'm not adverse to keeping it for another day.

« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2020, 01:39:47 pm »
Depends on what you consider peanuts.  You could just pop up a speculative post here, CTC forum and BHPC forum and see whether you get any interest.
(If it's sized for MikeB it would be too small for me).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2020, 03:38:01 pm »
I can imagine Kim twitching frantically.

And hello Nutty!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2020, 04:24:29 pm »
Barakta: What are you doing up on that scaffolding with that sledghammer?
Kim: Installing a bike hoist for the new rooftop SEKRIT BUNKER so I've got somewhere to put the Windcheetah.
Barakta: Cool. What do you want for dinner?

And hello Nutty!
waves
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2020, 04:24:57 pm »

And hello Nutty!
Indeed. Where have you been?

« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2020, 05:03:26 pm »
I've been following 2 Windcheetahs on eBay for ages. They have been sitting there around £1400 and 1600 and not selling for months. I don't know the spec differences to know how yours would compare to them. I believe they are sized suitable for someone of 6ft or a little over.
I have always wanted one, and I could afford one, but I've never even ridden one, so I'm sitting on my hands for now. If I did get to ride one, I might have to have the conversation. I don't really like riding my homebuilt trike, but that might just be because it was built by me and weighs about as much as a small car!

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2020, 05:25:35 pm »
I paid something of the order of £1400 for my Windcheetah and that was in 2003.  When I sold it in 2012 or thereabouts, I was a bit bummed out that I only got about £1000 for it, but there weren't many buyers.  The ones on eBay have been listed for months and months.  The thing is that for whatever reason, second-hand bikes – and recumbents especially – are massively overpriced in the UK compared with the USA. For less than a thousand bucks you can pick up a late 1990s/early 2000s Lightning P-38, or a recent RANS XStream with trick wheels.  Those were $3000 bikes when new.

An educated guess would suggest Nutty's Speedy is in the 290-317 serial number range.  17" front wheels but with the mk2 joystick.  What is the availability of tyres these days?  I had Moulton and Bridgestones originally, then used a succession of Stelvios; last time I looked the Kojak was the main tyre available.  I've seen a few converted to 20" rims, which has the arguable advantage of making the steering slightly less enthusiastic.

The most useful dimension to those knowledgable about the Windcheetah is the distance from the steering UJ to the crank spindle, since that helps defines the absolute minimum inside leg length, but the recumbent world of sizing is largely arranged by ex-seam, that is, from the soles of one's feet to the back of one's bottom, as though sitting against a board propped against a wall with a pedal at full stretch.  The seat allows quite a bit of hotching oneself backwards and forwards to find the right distance to the pedals before you think about sliding the seat fore or aft, though the bucket shape does have a sweet spot.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2020, 05:36:06 pm »

Nahh, I'm enough of a liability on two wheels, let alone three.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2020, 05:40:26 pm »

Nahh, I'm enough of a liability on two wheels, let alone three.

And she snuck in half a velomobile (ok more like 1/3) which is enough of a SWMBO tolerance test for this year at least ;).

Also, if she was building additional lair bike storage I'd be fully involved as I'm evil ideas and extra 1.5 hands minion.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2020, 05:48:33 pm »
What half-velomobile? Sounds intriguing!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2020, 05:53:22 pm »
What half-velomobile? Sounds intriguing!

She means a tailbox.  A fairly big one.

« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2020, 09:39:46 pm »
Thanks all.    I'll get measurements and more details tomorrow (need to get climbing gear and abseiling kit out to delve that far into the garage).

And hello Nutty!
Indeed. Where have you been?
rogerzilla:  Hello back, glad to see this place is still thriving well, and I haven't been purged. 
Jurek: I've discovered that two young children is not compatible with the old lifestyle of disappearing for 12+ hours just to see how much countryside goes past.  And work+family has removed the opportunity of free time to play on t'internet just to chat.    :(

...I have always wanted one, ....
I don't know where you are located, but if you want a socially distanced play after I put up further details then feel free to PM me. ;)

{useful info}
Many thanks for your time replying, very interesting and helpful.

« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:24:20 pm »
I was incorrect above - they were advertised at 1650 and 1850.
And yes, I'm in Oxford, and if you are anywhere near then a play when possible would be awesome - I'll PM you.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:44:01 pm »
Ruddy Norah! Hello Nutty  :)

LMT

« Reply #16 on: 11 May, 2020, 12:18:13 pm »
Nice trike, on one hand you have a piece of HPV history/nostalgia, on the other hand a few years ago there were major issues with the ownership rights of the Windcheetah and a few people got burned and the company was wound up. Currently I think there is no place to go to source new specific Windcheetah parts should you need them?

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=118452
http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/windcheetah-karl-sparenburg_topic6388.html

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 11 May, 2020, 12:26:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Windcheetah got a glowing mention in Richard's Bicycle Book. That's what would make me want one. If I did want one, which I don't, even if I had the money and (more crucially) the space.
(Good luck selling it and don't set anything on fire before then!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #18 on: 11 May, 2020, 05:27:17 pm »
Pingu - ruddy Norah back at ya.

LMT - I broke a hub once (hence phoning Dave and finding out possibly this one was a previous personal one of his), and found out it was just a wheelchair hub and he sent a new one through.   With all my fettling, and ownership of many bikes, I've found that most things can be sourced alternatively even if the original company has gone out of existence.

Cudzoziemiec - rofl - nice memory.

« Reply #19 on: 11 May, 2020, 05:37:33 pm »
So, some more details.

As Arellcat says, yes the front wheels are 17 inch (I think - can't get to it easily and read current details) but found some old tyres which are 17x1 1/4 (32-369) and I think came off it.  They are "Bridgestone Moulton" which ties in with that knowledge.

The "distance from the steering UJ to the crank spindle," is 57 cm.    My inside leg is 31 or 32 inch and I am the smallest that can ride this, it would suit somebody bigger.  This may be why I never fully gelled with it and it wasn't ridden as much as it should have been - I'm at the size limit and so may not be fully comfy.   But yes I did ride it a lot and it was my commuting machine for a good period.

However Arellcat was wrong re the number.   This is 175 not "in the 290-317 serial number range".

So?   Ballpark figure?   If I said £850 is that way too high, or within a negotiation range?

« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:25:47 am »
Damn you Nutty, you're tweaking my interest a lot, though some more photos would be very nice to see. 

I currently own Windcheetah #009 but it's not been out of the lock-up since selling my house a few months ago and I've always wanted to either expand the fleet or 'upgrade' to the Speedy. Might have to lurk more and think about options............ ;D ;D :-\ :-\

« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2020, 02:24:46 pm »
So?   Ballpark figure?   If I said £850 is that way too high, or within a negotiation range?
Well, I would love to buy a Windcheetah for £850.  I guess it would depend on the condition of the bike.  That said I'm surprised at the sizing, I was ignoring the possibility of buying it as I wouldn't expect to fit something that Mike used to ride.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22 on: 12 May, 2020, 04:40:23 pm »
Ooo, I’m not sure that Dr Beardy would be too please though. It’d probably fit me an’al
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #23 on: 13 May, 2020, 06:43:36 pm »
Hi nutty, so some semi-serious consideration on my part, some quick questions if I may
* Would it fit?  You say it's a bit big for you, I'm 6'1" and reckon I have an extra inch on you in leg length ish.  Do you know your Xseam?
* Would it fit through the door?  I don't have side/back access to the house so would need to get it through the door to get it round back, so would need to know how far apart the front wheels are and how high the top of the seat is from the ground.
* Where are you?  I'm in Brum and I couldn't drive even if I had a car.  :spannerintheworks.

I could have more questions of course.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #24 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:42:50 pm »
Crikey, No.175?  Mine is No.176 and the main difference is that I think mine was made out of bits while Bob Dixon was experimenting with various adaptations to take 406 wheels - it has different kingpin castings and a change of angle to accommodate the different axle height.  Also your rack appears to still be in one piece.  I've killed two racks and three different mount layouts over 11,000-or-so miles.

fd3: Speedy will go through a standard house door (30 inches?) but it's tight, and if you have limited wiggle-room behind the door, or a house layout which involves tights turns, say from hallway to room, you might struggle.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…