Author Topic: Jantastic 2015  (Read 13037 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Jantastic 2015
« on: 04 December, 2014, 09:48:30 pm »
Last year there was a group of yacf-ers who spent January, February & March running as part of Jantastic. This year Jantastic isn't restricted to running; cycling & swimming also count. If there's enough interest I'll set up a yacf team - we need a minimum of six people. The idea of the team is to compete against other teams, with each individual being compared to their own personal targets.

For those who don't know about Jantastic details are below.

• During January you have to set a target for the number of runs / swims / rides you'll do each week.
  • During February you have to set a target for the number of runs etc. you'll do and a target for your longest run / swim / ride for each week.
  • During March you do the same as February, plus you set a timed target for a certain distance (eg 5 km run in 20 minutes).

Let me know if you want to join a yacf team and I'll set it up. (I'll be doing Jantastic whether there's a yacf team or not as it'll motivate my running over the winter. )
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Jantastic 2015
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2014, 09:12:37 am »
I'll be on for Jantastic again Adamski.
Have started the winter XC league fixtures and entered the Steyning Stinger trail marathon on 1/3/15. Jantastic will provide that little extra motivation to get out for the "routine" runs.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2014, 06:55:23 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean about the "routine" runs. I'm doing London marathon again, so anything to help get me out in January and February is a good thing. At least that is six or seven weeks later than Steyning, so it isn't such a rush to get the miles (kilometres?) in at the moment.

The inclusion of cycling in to jantastic should mean this is something a yacf team should find relatively easy to achieve. Come on people, join in the fun :-)

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »
When the ankle is ready I'm planning to run, swim and cycle through the winter and into spring.   No records will be broken so if speed is a necessity count me out but if not then I could commit to two runs, one swim and one cycle each week.   I would achieve that and perhaps exceed the runs or cycles occasionally.

I'll cogitate.     

αdαmsκι

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2014, 08:00:06 pm »
This is not about speed, apart from one event in March (and for that event you set the target for that event. Decide you want to do 5km in 33 mins and that is what you achieve then you get a thumbs up). Mostly it is about you just saying "this week I'll do four runs" and then sticking to that target.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »
A yacf team has been set up and I've given it the original name of yacf.

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2014, 01:07:55 pm »
I've joined the yacf team. Should get me out the door in January.
Cheers

« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2014, 06:50:30 pm »
if my ankle permits I will join Team YACF before January 5th.   

« Reply #8 on: 02 January, 2015, 06:59:13 am »
I will join again. Thanks for setting up adamski.

« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2015, 08:34:22 am »
OK, so I'm still thinking about joining in even though the ankle is not yet ready to run on.   

Having read the rules it appears that times are not important until month 3 so perhaps I can get away with walking for a week or two before daring to try to run again?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 02 January, 2015, 11:51:43 am »
I'm in. Target: Run 2 Bike 2

The real plan is 3+ runs, and 1 weekend "proper" ride and/or an evening ride. (I will ride 10 commutes most weeks!) But I'm hoping to manage 2 runs a week even with the inevitable niggles that I get whenever I commit to regular runs. If that makes sense ...

Can't remember how Febulous works; will cross that bridge when ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #11 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:15:16 pm »
So team yacf is good to go, with the following signed up as of 3rd January:

• me
  • fboab
  • Swarm_Catcher
  • Oranj
  • Swiss Hat
  • mattc
  • pippa
  • SlowCoach
  • davelodwig

My January target is 5 runs per week and I pondering whether I should add one swimming session per week as well. Hmm..... one swimming session.

« Reply #12 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:54:40 pm »
I can't remember what I put, I was feeling all keen when I signed up.
No running though, not allowed.

I better check before Monday.
Didn't we have citoyen too last year?

« Reply #13 on: 02 January, 2015, 02:38:33 pm »
I've signed up, I need motivation to put on my trainers in the morning my efforts have sucked badly the last 12 months.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #14 on: 02 January, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »
Just seen this post so I've signed up too: 4 runs a week for January (I don't like to commit to cycling at this time of the year cos if it's too icy, I don't cycle - it's not worth crocking yourself for several months...). I may well change my activity by March.

I need something to keep me motivated at this time of year. I was out this morning for a morning jog and found myself being blown backwards at one stage. I had to divert onto a more sheltered route...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #15 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:05:03 pm »
Team yacf now has nine members. I hope everyone has their January targets set for Monday when the training starts :thumbsup:.

If there's anyone else wanting to join Jantastic then sign up asap!

« Reply #16 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:21:43 pm »
I have joined Jantastic but not yacf yet.   I am concerned that my ankle will not hold up.   Is there a 'latest by' that I can join the team?   I couldn't find anything as such on the Jantastic website.   

« Reply #17 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:34:42 pm »
Oh, I've found it.   Let's see how things feel after my ride tomorrow. 

« Reply #18 on: 06 January, 2015, 02:42:43 pm »
The true irony of this rule is that it excludes a large number of sub-30 minute Parkruns

Well, that just means you have to take your time on parkrun...  ;D

I was considering doing Parkrun for the first time on Saturday as my 4th activity of the week. In theory, I should be sub 30 as I can do 5K on the road in under 30. I'm not sure how this will translate though when I move from solo running on tarmac to group running on mixed terrain (which includes walking on water, if the GPS route I've been given is correct - it seems to miss the bridge over the river by a couple of hundred feet !!!).

I'd thought that if I rode down and from parkrun on my bike and included warmup that the combined activity (at least an hour) ought to merit inclusion.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 06 January, 2015, 03:13:48 pm »
I note that the rules this year [https://www.jantastic.me/rules/] say that each activity has to be >30 minutes which seems slightly less than all-inclusive. I'm sure it used to be just "at least 1 mile". I've got no problem with people who want to log a workout that's less than 30 minutes :thumbsup:

The true irony of this rule is that it excludes a large number of sub-30 minute Parkruns (unless the faster runners include some sort of arbitrary warm-up activity), and one of the founders of MarathonTalk/Jantastic is Tom Williams, who's also a Managing Director on Parkrun [http://www.parkrun.org.uk/aboutus/] :facepalm:
Then I'm probably out  >:( (don't want to drag the YACF %ages down - or I could join some worse team I suppose!)

It did used to be >1 mile. I can't reliably do 31minute runs without injury.
And even now I can run a parkRun under 27mins.

Ridiculous.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #20 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:16:22 pm »
You could make your workout a combined workout- ride to the park and then run?
(And how long is your commute?)

I'm not running at all..

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:22:53 pm »
So basically team YACF is asking me to cheat?     :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #22 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:33:33 pm »
The rules say
It’s really up to you but we think that as a minimum guide to claim your Jantastic workout then the following simple rules apply:

A Jantastic workout is at least 30 minutes engaged in your chosen activity.

Running = 30 minutes of running or jog/walking.

So, quite clearly, a jog includes the warmup and cool down walk. Would  your run plus warmup and cooldown be less than 30 minutes?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #23 on: 06 January, 2015, 05:09:59 pm »
I note that the rules this year [https://www.jantastic.me/rules/] say that each activity has to be >30 minutes .... I've got no problem with people who want to log a workout that's less than 30 minutes :thumbsup:

I'd seen that and had already decided to ignore that rule.

The true irony of this rule is that it excludes a large number of sub-30 minute Parkruns

That's confirmation I should defiantly run to and/or from ParkRun!

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #24 on: 06 January, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »
I note that the rules this year [https://www.jantastic.me/rules/] say that each activity has to be >30 minutes .... I've got no problem with people who want to log a workout that's less than 30 minutes :thumbsup:

I'd seen that and had already decided to ignore that rule.

Ditto. I'm almost 100% certain the 750m I swam last night took less than 30 mins of actual swimming. TBH, I'm using some of my cycle commutes towards my goals as a way to make sure I do ride my bike to work in the next few months (which is how I managed to complete 3 of my planned activities yesterday). I see it all more as way to get me into the routine of doing stuff I wasn't doing regularly at the end of last year.