Author Topic: Supermarket Merger?  (Read 6700 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Supermarket Merger?
« Reply #25 on: 29 April, 2018, 03:04:30 pm »
I suppose I don't buy much 'manufactured' food and have no dietary needs, so this isn't an issue for me.

I read a lot about things when it's needed. Found food that was vegan, kosher and gluten free for our last house party...

« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2018, 10:45:46 pm »
Our local coop used to be quite good although they do not seem able to do good veg logistics it always looks a bit tired. It has now been taken over by central Coop and has become quite pricey. The Coop does however have track record with ethical sourcing and has always good quality meats. Be interesting to see the impact of the farms having been sold off over time. Their advertising positioning last year seemed to be targeted at ad hoc shopping.

I used to quite like Somerfield but they were squeezed out by Tesco and yes stores are targeted to serve various socio economic groupings.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 01 May, 2018, 08:12:44 am »
Because people in the north are all poor and working class?  It's got a lot more to do with regional distribution as a reflection of where the chains originated.  Sainsbury's has higher concentration in the south, as it was founded in London and spread.  Morrisons was founded in Bradford; Asda in Leeds, hence their increased in the north. Waitrose, founded in Berkshire, didn't have any shops north of Nottingham until 2003.

Quite. I used to shop in Morrisons when I lived in Leeds but then I moved back down south and Morrisons didn’t follow me for several years.

The north also has Booths, which is similar to Waitrose. I believe they have some kind of distribution/buying alliance that probably stops them encroaching on each other’s territory.

My understanding of the Sainsbury’s/Asda deal is that part of the reason behind it is Walmart wanting to reduce their stake. It might end up with Asda becoming more like Sainsbury’s rather than vice versa. But then again, these deals are always more about serving the interests of the shareholders rather than the customers.

Discussing it with my wife, I made the same observation as Kim, that they’ll all end up under the same ownership eventually. And it won’t be for the customers’ benefit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 02 May, 2018, 11:14:28 am »
No food hall in our JLP,  dunno about elsewhere.
Oh gods, Presto. But Fine Fare was a million times worse, and our store smelled funny.
We had a Fine Fare in Stroud, which is a long way from Scotland, in the '70s. It took over from Key Markets and then became Gateway which in turn became Sommerfield. I guess it's probably a Co-op now. Each iteration was slightly less crap than the previous one, but they were all depressing. (Mind you, traipsing round any supermarket with your Mum is depressing.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 02 May, 2018, 11:17:06 am »
The Summerfield here became a Morrisons. It has all sorts of exotic things, that you don’t find in a standard Morrisons. I think it has reacted to demand.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 02 May, 2018, 11:17:32 am »
If every Asda in Bristol closed I wouldn't notice. There's one in Bedminster, not far away (and used to live very close to it circa 1990) but involves getting through the centre and across a time-consuming roundabout to get there, and another up in the Stokes and Bradleys northern outskirts, perilously close to the Cribbs vortex. I'm not aware of any others, which seems a bit sparse for a population of almost half a million. Both are huge though (well, the one in Bedminster is huge, I assume the other is too because of its location).

We've got three Sainsburyses close by, a small one and two larger ones. The small one is a bit useless.

Can't see any of them closing down as a result of this merger, if it goes through.
There’s a huge one at Cribbs. Which, of course, isn’t Bristol. But it is quite close.
Yes, I mentioned that one.  :D

I remember going in there soon after the Walwart merger. It was how I imagined a Russian supermarket, except it had stock and choice.
Every Russian (Soviet) supermarket I ever went in was tiny in comparison. About the size of a small Co-op. Bigger than a Spar or Happy Shopper, and also less depressing. Better lighting – windows!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 02 May, 2018, 11:18:57 am »
The Summerfield here became a Morrisons. It has all sorts of exotic things, that you don’t find in a standard Morrisons. I think it has reacted to demand.
All the Morrisons in Bristol seem to have become Co-ops. Perhaps they really are all one mega-holding already and just switch the names around to keep shoppers "interested"!

« Reply #32 on: 02 May, 2018, 12:19:44 pm »
The north also has Booths, which is similar to Waitrose. I believe they have some kind of distribution/buying alliance that probably stops them encroaching on each other’s territory.

Booths are like Waitrose but better. There are only about 25 shops though and most of them are in North Lancashire or Cumbria, there is one in Manchester and a couiple in Cheshire. they aren't exactly prevalent throughout the North with only three in Yorkshire and non anywhere else.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 02 May, 2018, 07:24:26 pm »
All the Morrisons in Bristol seem to have become Co-ops. Perhaps they really are all one mega-holding already and just switch the names around to keep shoppers "interested"!

The Co-op up the road in Chingford became a Morrisons :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #34 on: 03 May, 2018, 12:53:20 pm »
My occasional forays into Lidl for a nosey have left me impressed with their veg.

I too am impressed with Lidl; round here it is the clear leader for fresh and tasty fruit and veg.
I think so too. Fruit and veg is cheaper and better at Lidl than any other supermarket in my area. Tesco onions are particularly poor. And sometimes Lidl do loose lychees at a couple of quid for a kilo. Turns out I can eat A LOT of lychees.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #35 on: 03 May, 2018, 01:12:41 pm »
Lidl bakery is good too.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 03 May, 2018, 02:00:45 pm »
Lidl bakery is good too.  :thumbsup:

It is but it loaves are too small.  Not really any good for toast or sandwiches. Fantastic with soup or a stew or whatever though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #37 on: 06 May, 2018, 07:34:01 pm »

Booths are like Waitrose but better. There are only about 25 shops though and most of them are in North Lancashire or Cumbria, there is one in Manchester and a couiple in Cheshire. they aren't exactly prevalent throughout the North with only three in Yorkshire and non anywhere else.

The one at Media City seems to feed the entire population of the site, so it's probably their most profitable store!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #38 on: 10 May, 2018, 12:42:44 pm »
they had a big reshuffle the other week, closing their first floor/cafe/butcher/fishmonger and moving to one floor. They do a huge turnover (not apple ;D) in take away food/hot pies etc and customers didn't want artisan cheese etc. they still have some of that stuff but a lot less. veg is expensive. I'm told the store in South mcr is 'another level of posh' so they do cater to the clientele. 2 x asdas nr. me, one has a bigger range of Indian food products/yogurt etc to cater for the local population. Lately we have had a Polish shop open in our town centre that is packed with excellent Polish produce at v.cheap prices.they shift some pork products out of the deli counter and there are always free samples of cheesecake and salami  :thumbsup:

« Reply #39 on: 10 May, 2018, 03:01:10 pm »
Rumours that Amazon is looking at buying Morrisons now.