Author Topic: Meriden brevets populaires  (Read 1205 times)

S2L

Meriden brevets populaires
« on: 18 May, 2019, 02:37:35 pm »
Just a word of praise for Jon Porteous and the Heart of England cycling club, who organise 3 populaires from Meriden (160, 105, 60km).

Quite possibly the best organisation I've ever come across... 3 village halls on a 105 km ride is lush... a furlong long display of cakes and an army of tea ladies at Wellesbourne and then sandwiches and more cake at Harbury, heaven... 160 riders on the road, this is what Audax is about

BTW: did I mention the large contingent of female cyclists and the fully working GPX file?  :thumbsup:

Re: Meriden brevets populaires
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2019, 03:25:27 pm »
Great stuff and the route looked lovely ! Was thinking of turning up but after a stressful week st work decided bed was better !

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2019, 08:59:07 pm »
Seconded.  Just back from ECEing[1] the 160.  The only thing that wasn't well-organised was the weather, which couldn't seem to make its mind up what it was doing.   :thumbsup:

[1] Mandatory route, making use of the organiser-provided GPX track, if anyone's counting.

S2L

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2019, 06:57:37 am »
I found the weather perfect... not too hot, not too cold, no wind and a few very light showers, what's not to like?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2019, 12:27:23 pm »
I found the weather perfect... not too hot, not too cold, no wind and a few very light showers, what's not to like?

The audax o'clock drizzle storm (which would only have affected those riding to the start of the 160) and the unexpected half an hour or so of Mancunian-style heavy rain just as it was starting to warm up, mostly.  That one was probably quite localised due to the lack of wind, so you may have avoided it.  I'd brought the wrong bike for heavy rain.

Agreed about the temperature - having got a bit sunburnt earlier in the week I was glad it wasn't scorchio.

Did anyone else encounter the whistle-blowing flag-waving supporters braving the downpour on Tysoe[1] Hill?  I'm not sure who they were out for, but chapeau.

[1] Wasn't Tysoe a planet in Elite?

S2L

« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2019, 01:26:18 pm »
There was a charity ride/sportive thing going on, which maybe went up Tysoe too...

« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:03:09 am »

I think we were doing a different ride  ;D