Author Topic: Lakes Audaxes  (Read 8428 times)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
Re: Lakes Audaxes
« Reply #25 on: 05 September, 2018, 09:00:58 pm »
Pendant's Corner here... Brant and Slape are a pair of classic VS's at Tremadoc in North Wales...not a classic Cumbrian climb as Mentioned in the blurb...
EDIT: in the (extremely unlikely) event that anyone is interested I note that they were put up by Menlove Edwards and the names taken from Cumbrian dialect for Steep and Slippery respectively. So there you go.
EDIT 2: And they are in Llanberis Pass not Tremadoc, so I'm not even a very good pedant.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:04:33 pm »
According to this Geograph entry it's a pitch on Great Gully

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/122542

"Deep inside Pavey Ark, the Brant and Slape pitch of Great Gully. "Steep and slippery" in the Norse influenced name. It's not that steep, but very slimy. The route was first climbed in 1888 and is not too popular now, on account of the vegetation that lurks inside dark deep gulleys."

Was looking for the translations;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/voices2005/glossary/glossary.shtml

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #27 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:10:41 pm »
Ah that brings back memories - I have done that route, it was horrible! A good winter climb I believe.

« Reply #28 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:14:46 pm »
You're both right of course.  As far as the bike riding goes, there are a few brant bits - notably the first climb of the day up the Gummers How road, near the southern tip of Windermere.  The main slape bit is the ford heading to Gunnerside (Swaledale) from Arkengarthdale, which you are advised to avoid, via the footbridge provided.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #29 on: 05 September, 2018, 11:47:55 pm »
Following on from the amuzing signs on the Brampton to Alston road, I've already spotted one on this route:

https://goo.gl/maps/3JTqdZqEmR82

whosatthewheel

« Reply #30 on: 06 September, 2018, 07:08:27 am »
so, using the same logic, "the Hillary step" will be an Audax featuring Hardknott?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #31 on: 29 September, 2018, 12:12:43 am »
Just run through the info and gpx sent out, found that RWGPS doesn't like attempts to modify GPX imports and so ended up recreating the route with the updated depart/arrivee

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28691290

May be a good idea to run over it and check for anything I've cocked up on.

« Reply #32 on: 29 September, 2018, 08:25:37 am »
To avoid the lights and traffic in Kendal, the route sheet turns left at the town hall and goes along the 'pedestrians/cycles only' main shopping street.
Leaving Kendal, just stay on the main Appleby Road.  Likewise on the return to Kendal, the route sheet assumes you just stay on the main road into town.
The gps has a weird little detour near Crook - just stay on the road between Kendal and Crook.
Other than that it is fine and dandy.  I suppose I will try one of these navigational tools one day.  Up to now I have only used route sheets.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #33 on: 29 September, 2018, 12:27:12 pm »
Thanks, have updated the route on those points.

Sometimes you really have to work hard with these tools to get them to route you appropriately; even in driving mode it'll sometimes take you off the main road to cut a corner for no gain.

« Reply #34 on: 04 October, 2018, 09:00:24 pm »
Not a bad forecast for the time of year.  Have (literally) one or two spare brevet cards - if anyone wants to use them please send me an email.  Address is on the event page http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-194/

Having a few tinnies in the pavilion the night before, then bed by 10.30 hopefully, so it could be nice and sociable.  Special flapjack and/or porridge for breakfast.  I'm making plum and apple crumble with custard for the returners.  Soup (carrot & coriander) and rolls also.

Paul

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #35 on: 07 October, 2018, 01:26:33 pm »
Cracking day for it, first time I've had to really be concerned about the time limit!

Failed twice on the Buttertubs, only the Bealach na Bà has beaten me more in a single climb and that was largely down to the gusting winds and not taking the hint on my attempt to restart.

Surprisingly capable of walking today though...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Lee Killestein

« Reply #36 on: 07 October, 2018, 06:21:28 pm »
Always enjoy my trips up to the Lakes. This was no exception. Relentless hilly but immensely rewarding! Sincere thanks to Paul and his wife for organising this event and all of the effort that went into it.

« Reply #37 on: 08 October, 2018, 11:52:33 am »
I'd just like to echo the previous comments and thank Paul for organising a cracker of a route and great facilities for the start and arrivee.

Not a natural born climber in the least, so happy I brought the lightest of my bikes. FifingEijiet and I managed to keep our stops short yet at Mucker only had 25 mins or so to spare. Fortunately after Buttertubs we were able to make up time on the last slog back to Windermere to finish in about 12 and a half hours. Probably my slowest 200.

The ride really took it out of me, my cold had resurfaced. Hoping I can make it back to 100% so can do the Boarders Audaxes this coming weekend.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #38 on: 08 October, 2018, 01:33:30 pm »
Further to the limited contribution I managed yesterday, thanks to Paul for organizing the HQ facilities and the ride, really enjoyed the ride even though I was grinding away in the single digit clicks most of the day!
Also thanks to iroiromono for pointing it out in the calendar as I wouldn't have entered with out him doing so.

It was a stiff challenge in a part of England that really has to question Lord Byron's claims of it being "tame and domestic" (or perhaps he considered the dales to not be beautiful, he did of course rove those mountains afar).
Hopefully I'll be back down for some more audaxes in the Lakes and Dales in the near future.

I've not put much into climbing this year, so not massively surprised that the Buttertubs beat me twice when the gradient was over 20%, also failed on both sides of the Lecht this year at similar steepnesses despite having got up them before; (stopping on Fell foot Brow was the photo opportunity beating the will to keep going rather than running out of legs, honest!)

Legs are still fine (was fearing DOMS) but still feeling the effort in general energy levels now!

Looking forward to the Borders at the weekend for some slightly more forgiving climbs and then my hiking club's weekend back in the lakes at Low Hall Garth in Little Langdale!

Borders of Fife no longer provisional so that's my Brevet 2000 sorted, and if my maths are right I've done enough 100s and 150s for Brant and Slape to get me Brevet 3000 too :-)
(I did 2x200s as a non-AUK member and didn't realize I could have had them added to my record for 2017 until after the cut off)
Only got 4 200s planned for the 2019 season so far so Brevet 4000 may take a tad longer!

« Reply #39 on: 09 October, 2018, 08:44:36 pm »
Well, the sun shone even though it was cold and everyone seemed pretty satisfied with the challenge.  Some good photos from FifeingEejit on FB.  A good effort with the camera.  I said I would run another next October if we hit 20+ entrants, which we did.  The alternating years use 2 rides, so next year is The Tour of Rheged.  I'm just in the process of booking a village hall in the Lyth Valley for the HQ.  The route will be slightly different from the last running, so I'll have to have a ride round to check the AAA.  I would expect 2.75 or 3, so not quite as tough as Brant & Slape.  My plan is to return over the Kirkstone as per last time, but it puts it a bit over distance at 207km.  The alternative at 202km, is to return from Hartside via Shap.  I love the evening ride along Ullswater, so the former gets my vote, but if anyone wants to speak up for the route via Temple Sowerby, Shap summit and Kendal then speak now or forever hold your piece!

Lee Killestein

« Reply #40 on: 09 October, 2018, 10:27:07 pm »
Return via Ullswater and the Kirkstone gets my vote. It has to be one of my favourite stretches of road to cycle on. See you next year, if not sooner!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #41 on: 09 October, 2018, 10:44:04 pm »
Ullswater and Kirkstone sound good to me

For those not on facebook I've shared a one drive album created from my one drive back up... (which means it's not got the duff ones filtered out)
https://1drv.ms/a/s!AlB7bV6RdTovhrxPsoE_pCeiqXxwsA

« Reply #42 on: 25 March, 2019, 08:35:29 pm »
Just to let people know that the Lakes Sports Pitch Pavilion and adjoining gym (on the site of The Lakes School) have been sorted out from 7.00pm on the Friday 17 May to 9.00am on Sunday 19 May. BYO sleepy bag and mat, all included in the entry fee.  Nice changing rooms with showers available and loads of parking.  I reckon I've only got another one or two years left in me at the chalkface, so not many more iterations of these events.  The Cumbrian 200km and The Westmorland Spartans 300km to choose from.  See website for the usual details.  I was riding up Cockley Beck and Wrynose on Sunday - magnificent!  It'll be even better in May when the bluebells are out and it's a few degrees warmer!  Looking forward to seeing a few new faces plus the usual suspects.

« Reply #43 on: 28 March, 2019, 11:49:30 pm »
Really looking forwards to this one - had signed up a little while ago. Aiming to try and complete the 200km and the challenging climbs it contains, and thanks ever so much for the option of Sports Pavilion.

« Reply #44 on: 29 March, 2019, 07:06:53 pm »
I hope we get good weather.  I've ridden all over the country and can honestly say that this is one of best 200s out there on a fine day.  We've had a few problems due to closed roads and washed out bridges in previous years but I think everything is hunky dory for 2019.  I'll post again in a few weeks when I have been for a ride round.

« Reply #45 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:24:21 pm »
We have 37 entrants so far, which is just on the borderline to make the weekend financially viable.  More entrants are very welcome, with food, drinks, showers, 2 nights BYO sleeping bag accommodation and lots of free parking available, this is great value for a trip to the Lake District.   Nice routes, created with good local knowledge and a warm welcome guaranteed!

« Reply #46 on: 03 May, 2019, 08:07:27 pm »
I have my entry in for the 300k and am looking forward to it.

« Reply #47 on: 06 May, 2019, 03:35:08 pm »
Been round both routes now.  All bridges standing, no roads closed/diverted.  Also, our friends north of the border have been busy with the steamroller and tarmac.  Impressed!  Email to all entrants will be out within a few days.

« Reply #48 on: 11 May, 2019, 09:28:05 pm »
I have 50 entrants now, so that makes it less stress to finance the event.  However, it would be really useful to have a helper (I can manage on my own but it is a lot easier with 2).  If anyone wants to come up and enjoy a weekend in spectacular Lake District they would be welcome.  There is a hall to sleep in with very good clean showers and substantial food.  The 200 riders depart at 8.00 and allowing for a bit of tidy-up time you could be riding by 9.00ish.  I will provide a perm card for the La'al Lakeland so you can bag some AAA points.  Taking it fairly easy you could be back by 4.00ish for a shower and change to help out as the first 200 riders return, sometime after 6.00pm.  There is a BBQ to run in the evening until the early hours.  The last of the 300 riders tend to come in about 01.30am.

« Reply #49 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:32:42 pm »
What a fantastic event! Did the 300 for the 2nd time, absolutely stunning route, quiet roads, smooth surfaces and great views.

The Apres Audax was great, with bbq, lots of  tea, beer and a wee dram of whiskey, great camaraderie out on the the road and at the Arrivee.

It was a busy weekend with lots of big events on, but highly recommend this one, it’s a classic!

Thanks to the organiser for putting a superb event on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk