Author Topic: Salisbury Plain Training Area  (Read 5903 times)

Re: Salisbury Plain Training Area
« Reply #25 on: 02 April, 2023, 01:34:40 pm »
Yes,  April newsletter:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-newsletter/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-newsletter-april-2023

They don't as before, say ranges closed on dates over Easter, but just give non-firing dates for ranges.  Not sure if this means 'pick your access time' and if there's no red flags - then OK?

Probably a range map somewhere.  I suspect Warminster range is over West of Imber range.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #26 on: 11 April, 2023, 08:33:34 am »
I suspect Warminster range is over West of Imber range.

Yes, we were on on the Imber perimeter path just near Warminster and heard popping and cracking of firing, so must be a small area there.

Elsewhere, had a nice time on Imber. Still a bit grey on where you can and cannot go. I think we may have done a bit of concrete perimeter track we weren't supposed to be on (?) but elsewhere signage was fairly clear. The sun was out and I got sunburned lips. Wind was kind. A Good Friday indeed.

The flags were down on Larkhill by the time we got there, but we hadn't the collective legs by that point so headed along the perimeter a bit back to the cars.

« Reply #27 on: 13 April, 2023, 08:03:27 am »
Nice.   We went a few years ago at Easter, & were slightly sunburnt; actually in mid-April, the max height of the sun reached in the sky is apparently the same as late August...

« Reply #28 on: 13 March, 2024, 10:39:16 am »
Just a heads up. 

Imber range...
Easter 2024 - public access to Imber Village
Imber Village and the routes running through it will be open to the public between 6pm Friday 29 Mar to 8am Tuesday 2 Apr 2024 inclusive. The public are reminded that they are to obey all safety signs. They are not permitted into any building in Imber Village except the Church when it is open, and they are not to leave the carriageway either on foot or in their vehicles.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-newsletter/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-newsletter-march-2024

Larkhill/Westdown ranges...
Looks like active firing at Easter.  So I guess general access is whichever day is non-firing on calendar & if this coincides with no red flags.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-firing-times/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-firing-times-march-2024

« Reply #29 on: 25 March, 2024, 11:04:19 pm »
Thanks for that info @andyoxon. We might head down and see if we can ride some of it.

Do you (or anyone else) know which roads are useable and which are not? I've seen this Solstice 200k ride route so I assume that the main road SW through town is ok, but there's also a road more directly South from Imber - is that usable or not? Any other bits that are only open during Easter?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45967073

« Reply #30 on: 26 March, 2024, 05:43:10 am »
From the newsletter of St Giles Church, Imber, about three days ago:

"POSSIBLE CLOSURE OF ACCESS TO IMBER OVER EASTER 2024
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is responsible for access and safety on the Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA).  We have been advised that we should inform anybody wanting to visit Imber and St Giles Church on the Easter weekend open days that  there is a possibility Imber and, hence, St Giles will be closed to visitors for the Easter weekend.  At present Imber and St Giles will be open between Saturday 30th March and Monday 1st April inclusive as planned, but heavy rain week commencing 25th March could alter the situation.

Please go to Our Web Site [google "St Giles Church Imber"] for Full Details  There is information at the link regarding a road closure.  Please keep looking back at the page for further information as it unfolds over the coming days."

Which roads are usable when there is access:

The road from Warminster, north of east to Gore Cross, is all tarmac (plus some water perhaps).
South to Heytesbury and north to Bratton: these each have a mile or so of gravel, otherwise tarmac.

But I haven't used them for a couple of years - may have been changed.

« Reply #31 on: 26 March, 2024, 08:58:19 am »
Thanks @tonyh

https://www.imberchurch.org.uk/closure.html

We've planned a 600 DIY for Fri/Sat so might sack this off if the weather is terrible and access not guranteed. I don't want the hassle of trains down there only to be turned around.

Is the solstice the only other time they open it up? Any other AUK calendar events that go through?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #32 on: 26 March, 2024, 10:12:33 pm »
OR&DR 200K, 24th Aug - when it makes it to the Calemdar.  Should really go & route check, but I'll see what's what after a DIY Dean on Fri.

Generally a few days over Easter, Aug(*) B/H & Xmas Solstice.  (*) There's usually "Imber Bus Day" the w/e before the B/H, but they won't let anything other than the (old) buses thru, so bus+walkabout only.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #33 on: 27 March, 2024, 12:01:35 am »
Thanks @iddu, I've added OR&DR to my calendar. Not sure when we'll be getting back from Mille Miglia yet but that might dictate an early return :)

Sorry, what's B/H?

« Reply #34 on: 27 March, 2024, 05:43:44 am »

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #35 on: 27 March, 2024, 07:44:27 am »
Aha!

Sorry, dirty forrun here, still call them "long weekends" and rarely remember when they happen in time to use them effectively :)

« Reply #36 on: 29 March, 2024, 02:48:06 pm »
Latest (Friday 28 March) from the St Giles website:

"EASTER OPENING IS CONFIRMED

Imber and St Giles will be open between Saturday 30th March and Monday 1st April inclusive as planned.

There are no road access restrictions except that the American Road (VP1) to and from Heytesbury will definitely not be open to traffic.

The DIO advise that drivers should exercise extreme caution at all times and should keep below the 30MPH speed limit for their own safety.  Where there is water there are likely to be concealed deep potholes.  You have been warned !

Please keep watching this page for updates which we will provide here if there is anything further to report.

Imber and St Giles will be open between Saturday 30th March and Monday 1st April inclusive as planned."