Author Topic: Back pain - advice  (Read 1677 times)

Back pain - advice
« on: 01 September, 2023, 01:43:16 pm »
I know asking for advice on forums is not at all ideal. However with the current shortage of GP appointments I would appreciate some guidance.
I am in late middle age and fairly sedentar.  I have had a bit of back pain in the last few years, resolved by heat packs and a McKenzie roll lower back support.

This time round we got a new wood floor installed. I moved around 30 packs of heavy flooring as the boxes needed opening to air. Add in moving furniture etc.  For the last two weeks I have had lower back pain, specially on the right hand side. Worse when I wake in the morning.The pain is not getting any better.

I am hoping that this is something which will resolve. May main question is if I have a slipped disk what are the symptoms?
The oain is not unbearable, but is not pleasant and makes me think twice about bending over to pick things up etc.

Funnily enough I can cycle perfectly well without pain - the act of getting my leg over (*) causes pain but after that things are just fine.

(*) Getting my leg over the bike - what did you think you filthy minded YACFers ?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Back pain - advice
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2023, 02:17:15 pm »
Get thee to a physio. Don't bother with a GP.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2023, 02:22:02 pm »
I agree, if you can afford a private physio initial appt they'll be able to quickly assess if it's serious or not and it's probably not serious but then give exercises to help and advice on managing it.

Also, if you aren't already doing so, do try ibuprofen and paracetamol for pain management to see if that helps at all, it's useful datapoint as much as anything else.

« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2023, 02:35:02 pm »
As others have said - see a physio.
Sooner rather than later.
The quicker you get a diagnosis and treatment the more effective it will be.
IMHO, physios know more about back pain than GPs, and they can refer you to a GP or consultants if necessary.
Initial private appointments around here are about £35-£40.

If that is not an option, contact your GP surgery and they may have a system for you to self-refer without having to see or talk to a GP first. But that will probably take longer.

Keep moving.

« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2023, 02:37:58 pm »
If you go to your GP they will send you to a physio anyway- it's the NICE recommended MSK pathway.

Self refer on the NHS if you can.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2023, 02:40:36 pm »
I shall simply say the advice given above is good advice.

Get to a physio. Check whether your local NHS has self referral direct access physio system - more details here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/physiotherapy/accessing/
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2023, 03:04:06 pm »
Thankypu all. Private physio appointment booked for next week, cost 80 quid
Guys Hopital does do physio self referral - I am unsure of the waiting time.

« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2023, 04:34:58 pm »
The only thing I would add is that in my experience physios are for urgent problems but pilates and other similar programs are for the long term.

« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2023, 09:00:26 pm »
We are in the fortunate position of having a local physio who also instructs pilates classes!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2023, 09:02:51 pm »
My Man at the Gym is also a qualified physio.

My late brother helped me a good deal in 2011 when I was suffering from sciatica. He was a qualified teacher of the Alexander technique.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2023, 07:17:14 pm »
First of all buy yourself a copy of "Back Up" by Liam Mannix (https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/liam-mannix/back-up/9781742238081). Then book yourself into see a Physio', but most importantly don't expect the medics to be the ones to cure you; that's down to you I'm afraid. There's really no substitute for doing regular (i.e daily) exercises to strengthen your back. I bought this wonderful book many, many years ago  https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/stretching/author/bob-anderson/ Along with Pilates it's saved me from aches and pains time after time.