Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 523584 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3550 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:49:46 pm »
In OSM you can use a number of tags to record what the surface of a path / track is like.  Then you can use those tags to decide how to render them in your mapping based on what you are interested in. Ultimately everyone gets to benefit from the data.  I've been working through the stuff I ride on round here, but plenty still to update. Plenty of decent tracks round this way.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface

Hmmm.. No key for Kitty Litter :(
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #3551 on: 20 June, 2019, 07:15:24 pm »
Evening all. Just trying to catch up with audax world and was wondering if there's a helpers ride for the Hereward next weekend? Can't do the calendar ride but hopeful there is a pre run at some point. Cheers

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3552 on: 24 June, 2019, 05:38:08 pm »
Evening all. Just trying to catch up with audax world and was wondering if there's a helpers ride for the Hereward next weekend? Can't do the calendar ride but hopeful there is a pre run at some point. Cheers

YES! Helpers' Ride this Friday, 28th June, 21:00 start - meet at my house unless anyone fancies a curry earlier??? I'll treat actual 'on-the-day' helpers to breakfast in Biggleswade and a meal at the finish - probably the Angel & Harp.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3553 on: 24 June, 2019, 05:44:55 pm »
Possibly up for helpers ride subject to sleep etc
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #3554 on: 24 June, 2019, 05:52:31 pm »
Yesterday, somehow Essex SR stickers mysteriously appeared on my recumbent.  I was too tired to notice yesterday but spied them this morning. I already had two of the stickers in my waist pack, so they can go on the road bike.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3555 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:32:37 pm »
I still have lots of spare Essex PBP Qualifier stickers [the minimum order was quite large!] - if anyone wants more, for bikes, bedroom doors or whatever, let me know and I'll pop some in with your brevets.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3556 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:36:09 pm »
I think I might need a few ;)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3557 on: 25 June, 2019, 07:14:02 am »
Save a handful for huggy.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3558 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:48:05 am »

YES! Helpers' Ride this Friday, 28th June, 21:00 start - meet at my house unless anyone fancies a curry earlier??? I'll treat actual 'on-the-day' helpers to breakfast in Biggleswade and a meal at the finish - probably the Angel & Harp.

I'm up for the helpers ride and helping on the day.
Will go for curry on the day of the formal ride as well (then ride home and be awake for the formal welcoming commitee the following day).

« Reply #3559 on: 27 June, 2019, 03:37:39 pm »

Tomsk. Man thanks but after re-assessing current real life situation I'm out for this weekend. Thanks for coming back anyway. Hopefully be up for the Kingdom on 20th July.

« Reply #3560 on: 28 June, 2019, 08:43:13 am »
Do any of you acme or memwns lot know if lyons hall road which goes from Bradwell village through to A131 is accessible and ride able on a road bike. It looks like it goes through a farm but Google maps has it as a route for cycling.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3561 on: 28 June, 2019, 09:09:11 am »
Do any of you acme or memwns lot know if lyons hall road which goes from Bradwell village through to A131 is accessible and ride able on a road bike. It looks like it goes through a farm but Google maps has it as a route for cycling.

Lyons Hall Road from Stisted to High Garret is a nice little lane. Lyons Hall Farm road is a private farm track, but there's a byway from the junction near the water tower in High Garret which crosses the A131 Braintree bypass, then goes through Thistley Green on a bridleway that comes in down the road. No idea how rideable it is curently though.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3562 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:15:02 am »

I've ridden this one? (twice, once with CTC and once on an ECE for Kelvedon.)

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3563 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:31:17 am »
Thanks. On the os map it shows the one I was looking at but not as a road think it's a track so will be taking the one you've highlighted

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #3564 on: 28 June, 2019, 01:58:42 pm »

Will go for curry on the day of the formal ride as well (then ride home and be awake for the formal welcoming commitee the following day).

Just to confirm.

I am coming for the helpers ride tonight. My normal bike is in the shop for repairs ready for Paris, so will be on the mountain bike! The MTB is lighter than my normal bike though, so I don't see any problems keeping up.

Also offering my services next Saturday at the event.

See you guys later!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

BFC

« Reply #3565 on: 28 June, 2019, 02:34:29 pm »

Just to confirm.

I am coming for the helpers ride tonight. My normal bike is in the shop for repairs ready for Paris, so will be on the mountain bike! The MTB is lighter than my normal bike though, so I don't see any problems keeping up.

See you guys later!

See you around 9:00 at Tomsk towers, I'll be on the fixed, riding over from Witham.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3566 on: 28 June, 2019, 04:55:32 pm »

Just to confirm.

See you guys later!

See you around 9:00 at Tomsk towers, I'll be on the fixed, riding over from Witham.

I won't be on fixed or coming from Witham....... but will be there before 9pm :)
Regards,

Joergen

BFC

« Reply #3567 on: 30 June, 2019, 01:56:28 pm »
Hereward helpers ride deflations:

First event was a definitive snake bite failure - confirming that comfort tyre pressures were not appropriate for the quality of surface on many of the roads for group riding through the night (on this ride or in general!). It took the compressor to find the pair of holes!
Second event is still unexplained. Tube had a single patch at the edge of the valve bonding, so possible delamination of the patch or another vulcanisation failure fron conti, tube has been scrapped even though it held air and passed the bowl of water test. The wider rims do stress the tube at the valve transition more than narrow versions. 23mm tube in 23mm tyre - not wisest of options in H plus son TB14 rims but it is one of my stock sizes, next size in the drawer is for 28-37mm.

Apologies for the delays.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3568 on: 30 June, 2019, 05:11:58 pm »
... a definitive snake bite failure ...

... and mozzy-bites for the spectators! A convenient open verge and railings appeared to fix the flat, but just next to a Fenland mosquito breeding ground. Please tell me malaria isn't found in the uk, except as an imported disease?!

Dean deserves a special commendation for riding his mtb, especially as we were all struggling to hand onto jiberjaber's back wheel.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3569 on: 30 June, 2019, 08:20:42 pm »
Well you did promise 25kph PBP training in our beer haze on Wednesday ;) (I was freezing through the Fens so needed the exercise induced heat)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3570 on: 30 June, 2019, 09:45:09 pm »
Well you did promise 25kph PBP training in our beer haze on Wednesday ;) (I was freezing through the Fens so needed the exercise induced heat)

25K would have been great - it was the 30-32K sections that F&^%$d me :facepalm:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3571 on: 30 June, 2019, 10:15:01 pm »
Lol, short and fast is a valid training plan... :)
Regards,

Joergen

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #3572 on: 01 July, 2019, 06:01:32 am »
Was a good day out on the bike. Glad we got through most of it in the night while it was cool and cold. Wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be on the mountain bike but will try not to make a habbit of it!

See you you all on Saturday.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #3573 on: 01 July, 2019, 11:43:30 am »
... a definitive snake bite failure ...

... and mozzy-bites for the spectators! A convenient open verge and railings appeared to fix the flat, but just next to a Fenland mosquito breeding ground. Please tell me malaria isn't found in the uk, except as an imported disease?!

Dean deserves a special commendation for riding his mtb, especially as we were all struggling to hand onto jiberjaber's back wheel.

Apparently there is still a hint of malaria in Kent marshland. Not sure mozzies can fly as far as Cambs and Lincs tho.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3574 on: 01 July, 2019, 12:39:35 pm »
I read something about a strain of malaria (or as it was called then 'The ague') that was common to Canvey Island way back when.. apparently the farmers of Canvey used to travel to 'the main land' to get a wife but the new wives never survived Canvey Malaria....  Some of the men folk ended up with as many as 20 wives as a result of them dying! 

http://www.canveyisland.org/page/the_history_of_a_marshland_community

Regards,

Joergen