Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1735276 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #425 on: 07 November, 2009, 01:39:58 pm »
Regarding next week's trip to The Norton.  

I have just plotted a cheeky outward route that includes Nutty's Slimed Bottom and North Hill.  It works out at 16.2 miles.  We could come back via the normal route which is 13.6 miles - a grand total of 29.8 miles.  I may have to circle the block to get the total over 30 miles.

I'd quite like to have a crack at North Hill as I have yet to test out Son of Oscar's new gears on a proper climb. 

Any thoughts?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #426 on: 07 November, 2009, 02:51:29 pm »
Regarding next week's trip to The Norton.  

I have just plotted a cheeky outward route that includes Nutty's Slimed Bottom and North Hill.  It works out at 16.2 miles.  We could come back via the normal route which is 13.6 miles - a grand total of 29.8 miles.  I may have to circle the block to get the total over 30 miles.

I'd quite like to have a crack at North Hill as I have yet to test out Son of Oscar's new gears on a proper climb. 

Any thoughts?

I'd certainly be up for North Hill.

I went up there the other night and They are finally resurfacing the awfully rutted and potholed stretch from the pink house to the A414.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In fact they were doing a stretch of it when I went up and had closed a stretch of the road from above the General's Arms to somewhere past Runsell Lane (where I usually peel off) so I had to walk round the works on the pavement for half a mile or so.  Freshly laid tarmac gives off a hell of a lot of heat, and sizzles very loudly.  The stretch before that that they'd already completed was very nice indeed.

It'll be a lovely stretch of road once there are no ruts wide enough to lose a 25C tyre in.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #427 on: 07 November, 2009, 03:22:16 pm »
That bit of news about The Ridge, I think it's called that, is excellent. It's quite a fast bit of road with the potholes it'll be so much faster without them. I might come along to Whitham for the start and a pre ride cuppa.  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #428 on: 07 November, 2009, 04:29:36 pm »
That bit of news about The Ridge, I think it's called that, is excellent. It's quite a fast bit of road with the potholes it'll be so much faster without them. I might come along to Whitham for the start and a pre ride cuppa.  :thumbsup:

It is indeed "The Ridge".  I've been hoping they'd fix it for ages now, at night, it really slows you down having to dodge the holes.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #429 on: 07 November, 2009, 04:40:17 pm »
Oaky, shall I swing round to yours?  6.30?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #430 on: 07 November, 2009, 05:57:10 pm »
Not sure I'm keen to tackle North Hill again. Any chance of plotting me an alternative route around it?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #431 on: 07 November, 2009, 06:28:10 pm »
Not sure I'm keen to tackle North Hill again. Any chance of plotting me an alternative route around it?
A loop that doesn't go anywhere but should give an idea. You still climb but you get smaller climbs in several bursts. Ignore that the loop doesn't go to the Norton it's just for route info avoiding North Hill, Clicky.
Woodham Walter is quite easy but the A12 side has a long flat section.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #432 on: 07 November, 2009, 06:33:35 pm »
Think I've done a similar route to that previously.

I have been up North Hill twice in my cycling career (both times on the same day!) and it wasn't the end of the world, but it was quite time-consuming. If there's an easy-ish avoid whilst the rest of you ascend and descend the hill that might work better. Can't tell until I see Oscar's Dad's planned route...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #433 on: 07 November, 2009, 06:36:14 pm »
Up North Hill and hang a left at Danbury. I will be going slooooow up North Hill so you can keep me company AH.

« Reply #434 on: 07 November, 2009, 06:49:03 pm »
Up North Hill and hang a left at Danbury. I will be going slooooow up North Hill so you can keep me company AH.
What time are you open for a cuppa?  ::-)
Or...
I might be coming to Witham this way with AH, Clicky.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #435 on: 07 November, 2009, 07:50:50 pm »
What time are you open for a cuppa?  ::-)
Or...
I might be coming to Witham this way with AH, Clicky.
'Ang on a minute, that last link's got us going up North Hill.  You just said down it!!!

« Reply #436 on: 07 November, 2009, 09:37:54 pm »
'Ang on a minute, that last link's got us going up North Hill.  You just said down it!!!
Green is go and red is stop!
When I view it on bikehike the start is near to the Norton, in the south, as I created it.  ;D Are you viewing it on some other gpx/map reader?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #437 on: 07 November, 2009, 10:11:59 pm »
'Ang on a minute, that last link's got us going up North Hill.  You just said down it!!!
Green is go and red is stop!
When I view it on bikehike the start is near to the Norton, in the south, as I created it.  ;D Are you viewing it on some other gpx/map reader?
I'm looking at it on bikehike but am also looking at the elevation tab... which shows a steep incline followed by a longer descent. So although the descent looks lovely, I've clearly got to climb some of the way up ;)

Besides, 'up' North Hill is presumably going northwards, which we are ;)

I shall bow to your superior wisdom in matters of cycle-routing in mid-Essex, Del, as it's all rather a cloud of unknowing to me. But they should make that bit of Essex flatter really, rather more like the Tending Plain or bits of Holland - that'd be far more the ticket.

« Reply #438 on: 07 November, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »
I'm looking at it on bikehike but am also looking at the elevation tab... which shows a steep incline followed by a longer descent. So although the descent looks lovely, I've clearly got to climb some of the way up ;)
No downs without ups first. The climb isn't as steep as North Hill and it's in several bits so you can have a rest. How slow fast is your average?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #439 on: 07 November, 2009, 10:23:40 pm »
This event is next Wednesday, yes?

What time?

I may be able to attend in a train-assisted manner. Prittlewell to N. Fambridge station seems favourite, then ride home.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #440 on: 07 November, 2009, 10:25:58 pm »
This event is next Wednesday, yes?

What time?
Just after 2000hrs seems a good time to aim for.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #441 on: 07 November, 2009, 10:36:05 pm »
The Norton doesn't do food, does it?

I wonder whether to dive into the Ferry Boat at N. Fambridge first, for dinner.

Or just give it a miss. Weather forecast may decide.

I can catch the 1948 from Prittlewell to get to N. Fam for 2034.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #442 on: 08 November, 2009, 07:50:01 am »
No downs without ups first. The climb isn't as steep as North Hill and it's in several bits so you can have a rest. How slow fast is your average?
Current average seems to be about 11mph which is rather appalling.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #443 on: 08 November, 2009, 08:21:28 am »

Yep - works for me.

I wonder if we'll be mixing it with the steamrollers on The Ridge. :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #444 on: 08 November, 2009, 09:14:49 am »

Yep - works for me.

I wonder if we'll be mixing it with the steamrollers on The Ridge. :)

Just as well I'll be dressed as a traffic cone.  Hopefully they will steer round me.

« Reply #445 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:00:09 am »
I hope to come along for this one. It all depends on which day I have to go into the office this week.

Coming from Chelmsford, I may as well meet you in Danbury*

*Conveniently, I will have just ascended the rather gentle west face of Col du Danbury, unlike you lot  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #446 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:03:17 am »
AH was hoping for a cuppa at OD's after getting a tow from the Norton to Witham.  Is that still on or does going to Oaky's invalidate that plan? (not to worry AH I have a plan "B")

Oscar's dad

« Reply #447 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:07:30 am »
AH was hoping for a cuppa at OD's after getting a tow from the Norton to Witham.  Is that still on or does going to Oaky's invalidate that plan? (not to worry AH I have a plan "B")

Huh? I'm confused.  Is the cuppa required before or after the ride?.  If before I'm going to leave about 6:15 heading for Oaky's.  You and anyone else are more than welcome to have a brew before we set off.

« Reply #448 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:25:42 am »
Huh? I'm confused.  Is the cuppa required before or after the ride?.  If before I'm going to leave about 6:15 heading for Oaky's.  You and anyone else are more than welcome to have a brew before we set off.
AH might drive to the pub, ride with me up to Witham, have a cuppa, and ride back to the pub (not up North Hill) for 2000hrsish. Just waiting for Ah to confirm that she is driving to the pub in the first place.
If not I'll ride to Witham, have a cuppa, and ride with you to Oaky's and come up North Hill to the pub.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #449 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:33:21 am »

I'm confused too  ??? ... Norton -> Witham will be the return leg for OD and I... The "going to Oaky's" bit is the Witham -> Norton outbound leg...  not sure onto which leg the "cuppa" plan fits though. ;)

I just had one interpretation pop into my head which fits with the above (sort of?):-  Are you and AH planning on doing Norton -> Witham -> Norton? (with AH parking there), with a North hill avoiding Witham->Norton routing?  i.e. Norton-> witham (AH&del) - cuppa (AH, Del, others) Witham -> intermediate point, where the group parts company with AH/del hill-avoidance routing through Woodham Walter etc.?, and OD/Oaky up NH, then regrouping somewhere further along?

EDIT:  This crossed in the post with del's explanation which seems to largely this plan! :)