Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718236 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #500 on: 12 November, 2009, 06:52:22 pm »
There are millions of them!  We're all doomed!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #501 on: 12 November, 2009, 07:30:12 pm »
Let he who is full of hair and spectacle free cast the first match.  O:-)

Bugger! Hoist by me own petard!!   :-[ :-[ :-[
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #502 on: 13 November, 2009, 04:24:19 pm »
The Star at Steeple got mentioned on Wednesday night.  Looks good and should be a nice ride, perhaps a possible for the next list, once we have gone through the current programme. 

Annnnnnd, they have a campsite!  The website seems to indicate it is a caravan as opposed to tent campsite so may not have a loo block.  I could enquire nearer the time it we was interested.

« Reply #503 on: 14 November, 2009, 10:13:31 am »
The Star at Steeple got mentioned on Wednesday night.  Looks good and should be a nice ride, perhaps a possible for the next list, once we have gone through the current programme. 
A good pub with tea, thinking of you AH, and food. Often has guest beer and has a real fire.  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #504 on: 14 November, 2009, 02:45:54 pm »
A good pub with tea, thinking of you AH, and food. Often has guest beer and has a real fire.  :thumbsup:

Just after the mention of the Star last week, I started clicking around on the map of the Dengie, and noticed this:-

The Church of St-Peter-on-the-Wall (Wiki, chapel website) which is in such a tempting location that I feel a strong urge to ride out to it (despite being a completely non-churchy person).

I will be waiting for better weather though.  I will probably stop off atthe Star on the way home, (and, perhaps, take the advice on the chapel's website of popping into a pub in the village prior to visiting too ;) )
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #505 on: 14 November, 2009, 02:53:04 pm »
The Church of St-Peter-on-the-Wall (Wiki, chapel website) which is in such a tempting location that I feel a strong urge to ride out to it (despite being a completely non-churchy person).
Wartiers have BTDTGTTS  but lost the thread. :P

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #506 on: 14 November, 2009, 02:56:05 pm »
Wartiers have BTDTGTTS  but lost the thread. :P

I'd be disappointed if they hadn't :)  ("been there", that is, not "lost the thread" ;))

« Reply #507 on: 15 November, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »
I have a strong urge to go to the Blue Boar at Maldon this week. Mainly because I'm only 360 miles, or so, to break 10,000 miles and I would like to do it before month end.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #508 on: 15 November, 2009, 11:18:57 pm »
I have a strong urge to go to the Blue Boar at Maldon this week. Mainly because I'm only 360 miles, or so, to break 10,000 miles and I would like to do it before month end.

I will, barring natural or unnatural disasters, definitely be there, OD has also stated his availability.

The main thing I don't know yet is the route from Witham (although possibly irrelevant to you, unless you're so desparate for miles that you're coming via Witham....).

If it doesn't rain (much?) between now and Wednesday then the Blackwater Rail Trail (OD remix) will be the route.  This is mostly 9mild) off-road, and mostly passable whatever the conditions, but does have a couple of sections where mud/standing water could be an issue.  On a good day, I've done it with a trailgator attached acorn, with Mrs_o behind carrying other acorn in a child seat, so there's nothing too difficult on the route.

The bones of the route are in this bikely construction.  I plan to recce the route earlier that day, to ascertain the muddiness/passability.

Unless we either embellish the route somehow, this will be the shortest MEMWNS route I've done so far.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #509 on: 16 November, 2009, 08:44:53 am »
James and I would both like to do this trip as well, although

(a) we both spent yesterday on our deathbeds - him with a cold, me with a weird lurgi - and we don't know whether we'll be well enough
(b) if we were, we'd probably drive to the Blue Boar and do a pootle around, perhaps meeting up with some of you for part of the ride, rather than cycling back to Witham after pub
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #510 on: 16 November, 2009, 08:50:32 am »
James clearly got Man Flu from me and you got the Weird Lurgi from OD.  ::-)
GWS  :-*

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #511 on: 16 November, 2009, 11:02:39 am »
If it doesn't rain (much?) between now and Wednesday then the Blackwater Rail Trail (OD remix) will be the route.  ...

It has been raining a bit more last night/this morning.  I still plan to check the route out prior to the ride to verify how much is under water/mud.

If it does keep raining between now and then, the following shows an artists's impression of what might walk through the door of the Blue Boar on Wednesday night (not for the squeamish):-

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #512 on: 16 November, 2009, 11:06:20 am »
If it does keep raining between now and then, the following shows an artists's impression of what might walk through the door of the Blue Boar on Wednesday night (not for the squeamish):-
It's hideous!   :facepalm:  Think of the poor children.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #513 on: 16 November, 2009, 11:11:12 am »
James clearly got Man Flu from me and you got the Weird Lurgi from OD.  ::-)
GWS  :-*

Look out for the tangerine orange and fluorescent yellow comedy snot.  Both of which match my traffic cone top.  Enjoy!

Oaky - very drool.  Let's hope you re-enter employment soon so we can be spared your rapierlike wit!

« Reply #514 on: 16 November, 2009, 08:30:28 pm »
Oaky - very drool.  Let's hope you re-enter employment soon so we can be spared your rapierlike wit!

OD, that's not very sporting of you.  Oaky and I (well Oaky actually) have just established that the Compasses is an alternative to St Anne's on a Thursday and Friday and will serve delights at a righteous time of day  O:-)  This hypothesis needs consistent proving and Oaky not being available won't help things >:(

After 9 days, tonight has been the first time I've ventured out of the house now that the flu has decided there is nothing to gain from me.  20ish miles at an average pace of 12mph confirmed everything seems to be order so I'll look forward to seeing you all on Wednesday night.  Only caveat is that I'm not sure what time I'll get back from London so at this stage I'll say I'll head straight to the sub from home.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #515 on: 16 November, 2009, 10:40:28 pm »
Actually, I apologise for my earlier comment.  If Oaky does get a job the pubs of mid-Essex are all likely to close causing mass unemployment. I think we should all pay Oaky to stay unemployed so we have places to cycle to each week.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #516 on: 16 November, 2009, 10:42:45 pm »
Actually, I apologise for my earlier comment.  If Oaky does get a job the pubs of mid-Essex are all likely to close causing mass unemployment. I think we should all pay Oaky to stay unemployed so we have places to cycle to each week.
Git  ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Blue Boar, Maldon, Tomorrow
« Reply #517 on: 17 November, 2009, 01:43:52 pm »
So, folks.

I've been seedy, as previously mentioned. I had two complete days off the bike, thus destroying my fantastic 100% days ridden this year. I am also now behind schedule for my 12,000 miles in the year and feeling gloomy about it.

I went out today to Uni and felt a bit weak but managed the 12 mile round trip reasonably.

I'd like to come along to the Blue Boar tomorrow, assuming I feel a bit better than I do today, but I'll definitely do the equivalent of what I did last time, i.e. drive to the Blue Boar and cycle to Witham, then back to the Blue Boar.

So... the standard question. Does anyone have a route from Witham to the Blue Boar for me to look at (I have plotted a Blue Boar to Witham route). What sort of time will people be leaving Witham? Is anyone else planning to do what I am doing?

I have a meeting in Ipswich at 9am on Thursday morning so can't have a late night, particularly after being poorly, so I may leave the pub by 10pm.

Oh, and Uncle James is working this week so he may not want to come along either due to tiredness.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Re: Blue Boar, Maldon, Tomorrow
« Reply #518 on: 17 November, 2009, 02:12:58 pm »
So, folks.
I've been seedy,
::-)   O:-)

What time might you be at the pub? I could meet you there and do Witham as well.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Blue Boar, Maldon, Tomorrow
« Reply #519 on: 17 November, 2009, 02:29:34 pm »
So, folks.
I've been seedy,
::-)   O:-)

What time might you be at the pub? I could meet you there and do Witham as well.
All depends on what time we are meeting at Witham... but I'd like to give PLENTY of time to get to Witham, despite it being only 6ish miles (my route goes through Wickham Bishops). So I'd like to leave at least 45 mins before meeting time at Witham, even earlier if poss to get a nice cuppa...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #520 on: 17 November, 2009, 04:59:57 pm »
Uncle James will not be attending as he'll be driving the other way (back from cycle training in Chelmsford). He will also have nicked my car so I shall have to shoehorn my Trice into his car. Which could be amusing.

« Reply #521 on: 17 November, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »
I can't leave early enough for tea as our dog needs fettlin'. So I will be heading straight to the Blue Boar for 2000hrs.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #522 on: 17 November, 2009, 05:09:31 pm »
Fettlin' dog! You need one like this that just sleeps all the time, even when on a boat:

« Reply #523 on: 17 November, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »
Fettlin' dog! You need one like this that just sleeps all the time, even when on a boat:

This one does sleep all day and only really wakes up when it time to go out or get fed.

Weather forecast reckons high winds, in the wrong direction for homeward bound. If it doesn't drop I might give it a miss.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #524 on: 17 November, 2009, 07:35:23 pm »
    I shall head for the Blue Boar, as I can't leave until after 6:30, but I'll bring the mtb (-she's called Joan, since you ask :)) in the expectation of getting muddy if the off road route should be explored on the way back. See y'all there.