Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1736566 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #675 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:05:21 am »
Excellent, I've been volunteered!  I was avoiding this thread just in case someone wanted to do it by mountainbike in the snow... :D

All should be good for that date, cheers Oaky

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #676 on: 24 December, 2009, 04:06:52 pm »
Excellent, I've been volunteered!  I was avoiding this thread just in case someone wanted to do it by mountainbike in the snow... :D

All should be good for that date, cheers Oaky

Excellent -- looking forward to it :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #677 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:12:10 pm »
    Can't make this weeks MEMWNS, its book-club again-haven't been to the 'Cats' for years, shame. Following week will be ok, weather permitting (my route to Blackmore is very laney, not fun if icy! I've told so many people about the camping weekend though, that I can't back out whatever the weather is like!!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #678 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:26:19 pm »
I won't be out this week as I knackered my shoulder coming off on ice on New Years Day. I am hoping a physio can sort me out so I am fit for the camping trip.

« Reply #679 on: 03 January, 2010, 09:16:04 pm »
Sorry to hear about the shoulder OD, hope it mends soon.

I'll be heading over to the Cats on Wednesday evening as long as I don't need to fit ice skates to the Dawes  :o

Cycled to friends in Bottisham last night and my goodness was it cold and slippy in places  :facepalm:  Still, the brandy soon warmed me up when I got there  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #680 on: 03 January, 2010, 09:42:28 pm »
Doubt I'll be there as my trike is still in bits in the dining room awaiting goodies from ICE which I shall order tomorrow morning.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #681 on: 04 January, 2010, 12:23:55 am »
I won't be out this week as I knackered my shoulder coming off on ice on New Years Day. I am hoping a physio can sort me out so I am fit for the camping trip.

Ouch -- I didn't realise you were still suffering ... GWS

Where did you crash BTW?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #682 on: 04 January, 2010, 05:24:49 am »
Yup still hurty but getting better. I came off on a little up hill section of the Terling Bypass and survived. Then came off again on the hill down to the right hand bend up to the Square and Compasses in Fuller Street itself. That's when I hurt my shoulder.

It was ok at first and I easy got the bike onto and off the car roof. The next morning I was nearly sick getting out of bed the pain was so bad.

At least I have a legit excuse not to go to Exeter this week for work as I can't drive (changing gear hurts).

« Reply #683 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »
As the conditions are looking even more treacherous for tomorrow night I'm going to bail on this one. Shame, was looking forward to a ride and a pint  :(

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #684 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:12:58 pm »
    Get well soon OD - what you needed was a handy ditch with brambles to break your fall, as with my last major argument with gravity about three years ago (I don't count mtb-ing falls!) Hope you are mended in time for the expedition to the frozen wastes of Suffolk.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #685 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:44:19 pm »
As the conditions are looking even more treacherous for tomorrow night I'm going to bail on this one. Shame, was looking forward to a ride and a pint  :(

Yep - me too - the route was passable with care in this afternoon's sunshine, but I wouldn't fancy it after dark with tonight's light dusting of snow on top, and given that more is predicted for tomorrow (including heavy snow and -2C tomorrow night :() I'm bailing as well.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #686 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:46:25 pm »
No-one fancy a trip to Edwardstone this weekend to give the "Frezia Bitszov" weekend a trial run?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #687 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:33:24 am »
Thanks for the good wishes Tom.  Following a visit to a very sexy physio in Chelmsford on Monday night I seem to be on the mend now.  I am aiming to be fit for the 16th.

Wow - I'd love to join you this weekend but think commonsense should prevail so I will decline.  Does this mean you're a definate for the real thing now ?   :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #688 on: 06 January, 2010, 10:15:05 am »
I've never been a definate for anything.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #689 on: 12 January, 2010, 07:56:39 pm »
So... tomorrow night's venue is The Leather Bottle in Blackmore.

Unfortunately,  the Met Office seem to think that the thaw may not last that long with return to snow tomorrow (albeit light) and subzero temperatures (albeit only just) in the Chelmsford area.

I'm going to see how it looks tomorrow before deciding for sure whether to risk the roads or not.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #690 on: 12 January, 2010, 08:02:48 pm »
I shall be saving my bent and broken body for the weekend.

« Reply #691 on: 12 January, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »
Unless the conditions improve I'm doubtful for tomorrow night also  >:(

Haven't been out on a bike for 10 days now  :facepalm:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #692 on: 12 January, 2010, 10:33:18 pm »
    Thinking about going to Blackmore tomorrow, if the weather behaves. Its been so long since I've ridden for more than an hour, I need to get out. Most of my route could be down the Ongar road and so ice free. We'll see.....

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #693 on: 13 January, 2010, 05:15:17 pm »
James and I are both a 'no' for this as we're going out riding with Wowbagger tomorrow to do lots of miles and I've barely done any this year so my legs might fall off.

Tomsk, was that you I saw waving at me from a red van in Ardleigh about half an hour ago? It looked like you anyway!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #694 on: 13 January, 2010, 06:14:25 pm »
I'm now a "no" now myself -- our patio has frozen over already and it's usually a good guide for the condition of the lanes round here.

I was getting quite hopeful earlier since the snow was quite wet/sleety/rainy and wasn't sticking anywhere, but now that it's started to freeze already, I don't fancy it much.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #695 on: 13 January, 2010, 06:27:02 pm »
   Yup, freezing fast here, I'll go out tomorrow with Wow, AH & UJ.
   Helen-I have at least two dopplegangers: last year at Mildenhall, I was twice mistaken for someone else. Somewhere in the region there's a postman who is my spitting image. Weirdly, I look exactly like my maternal grandfather, (who died 15 years before I was born); I get odd looks sometimes from the older generation!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #696 on: 20 January, 2010, 01:19:51 pm »
NB regarding tonight's MEMWNS (20th January)

This was due to be Oscar's Dad's hosted ride, however his employer has rather unsportingly required his presence in distant parts this week.   :'(

So-- the weather report round here is looking like 2C and light rain, however mrs_o is hosting a knitting/gossiping circle tonight so I'm going out!  Hopefully the ice will stay at bay.

The only question is where to (and who else is up for an outing tonight).

Once OD has an idea when he'll definitely be around, I'll rejig the schedule again to reflect it, but for the time being, I will just swap his ride with a random date, and visit that pub tonight.  I'll make a final decision a little bit later when I know who's likely to come out to play. 

EDIT: Current thoughts are one of the Axe and Compasses (Aythorpe Roding),  Walnut Tree (Broads Green), The Hoop (Stock) or an emergency visit to the Compasses at Littley Green.

I'm probably in favour of the last option at the moment, but am open to suggestions from anyone coming along.

EDIT: Having received one reply via text so far, I've decided to go with the Compasses at Littley Green.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #697 on: 20 January, 2010, 05:13:02 pm »
Right - chief and I should be at the Compasses, Littley Green from about 8:15 onwards.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #698 on: 20 January, 2010, 06:12:04 pm »
   I'm free! The Compasses was almost my local when I was teaching at Felsted, back in the day. See you later.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #699 on: 20 January, 2010, 08:02:24 pm »
Lucky sods.