Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016764 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #3900 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:22:51 pm »
You might think that, but we couldn't possibly comment... ;) ;D

Joking apart, that photo was indeed taken through the landing window - the next one I took, Foxy had his forepaws up on the window ledge.

Usually when I hear noises coming from the lean-to roof area, it's one of the cats from next door on the other side of the house, chasing leaves or flies, so you can imagine my surprise when I spotted this magnificent (and chilled-out) specimen of foxiness sitting on next-door's middle bedroom window ledge. I was expecting him to have gone by the time I had dug out my camera, but I spent the next half hour taking pictures through the landing and bedroom windows - after a few minutes of he and one of the aforementioned cats pretending to ignore each other, he then curled up in the corner on next-door's lean-to roof and settled down for a snooze, not leaving until some time between 8 and 9pm.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3901 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:05:32 am »
Dippers and dolphins.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3902 on: 08 January, 2015, 12:50:01 pm »
I have had a lone Song Thrush in my garden for the last two days. It's the first I've seen in the garden for about 15 years and the first I've seen in my neighbourhood for about 10 years.
Pity the resident Blackbirds keep chasing it away.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3903 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:34:12 am »
I mentioned three weeks ago the Nocturnal Songthrush of Maidstone. We heard it again yesterday, although during the day. I was returning from taking Martha to school and there it was, somewhere behind some houses near Maidstone West station. Very spring-like.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3904 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:47:16 pm »
Out on a walk today.  A lamb.  In a field!
After 50 years of Archers listening, even I know that lambing begins at Christmas, but that is indoor lambing.  I've never seen one in a field this early before.
It didn't have a ewe in attendance, and all the ewes anywhere near it appeared to be pregnant (I'm not an expert) and were ignoring it.
I fear that all was not well.
Not one of our neighbouring farm's fields, so I mentioned it to couple outside the next cottage we passed, in case it was information that needed to be passed on locally.

They might lamb indoors and then put them out.  That's what they do here.  Lambing started in the last week of December; lambs born indoors, put out 2 days after.  Wouldn't be in a field with pregnant ewes though  :-\ but they do quite often wander. 

Lots of tiny baby lambs in the fields here.  Super cute.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3905 on: 11 January, 2015, 05:51:59 pm »

« Reply #3906 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:50:39 am »
Yesterday morning, just south of junction 11 of the M4:

a kite & a buzzard circling over the same spot, before flying away from each other & circling over separate fields.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3907 on: 19 January, 2015, 10:56:19 am »
Nice collection of Blackbirds, Song Thrushes and Fieldfares feeding in a field this a.m. until my faithful canine companion came blundering along to see what I was gawping at. ::-)
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3908 on: 20 January, 2015, 04:40:51 pm »
Magnificent and very red fox in our back garden at midday today.

Explored all the garden's corners, then climbed atop neighbour's shed to enjoy enhanced views of Sprawling Suburbia.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3909 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:53:06 pm »
A deer in our back garden, sadly referred to in my post on "what are you doing right now".  Poor deer.
Wombat

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3910 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:54:37 pm »
Hibernating bats - 2 daubentons, 2 brown long-eared.

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3911 on: 03 February, 2015, 08:28:07 am »
Too icy to cycle today, so got a lift in to Bangor from my other half.  Driving through Menai Bridge:
Me: Squiggle.  Mind the squiggle!
Him: (slows down; squirrel boings across road) wiwar goch
Me: Red squiggle!

Haven't seen a live red squirrel in a long time.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #3912 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:59:11 pm »
Sparrowhawk busily shredding & eating an unidentified small bird on the fence at the bottom of the garden - urban Bristol, < 2miles from the city centre. One of the joys of working from home  :)

Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3913 on: 04 February, 2015, 04:02:38 pm »
Too icy to cycle today, so got a lift in to Bangor from my other half.  Driving through Menai Bridge:

At last, someone else who calls them squiggles. My niece renamed them when she was very small and they have been squiggles for us ever since!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3914 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:19:09 pm »

At last, someone else who calls them squiggles. My niece renamed them when she was very small and they have been squiggles for us ever since!

An old Estonian of my aquaintence  called them "shkrewells". As in "I've had the shkrewells in my pigeons and they are dead"

« Reply #3915 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:37:22 pm »
Saw 2 blue tits locked in mortal combat on a local lane this morning, my front wheel was only a couple of feet away before they noticed, mind you I was going uphill so they were in no real danger. There was 3rd blue tit close by getting very agitated along the lines of "Leave it Wayne 'es not wurf it!!!"

10 mins later had dismount and try and usher 20 or so ewes & lambs back into their field. The joys of rural Pembrokeshire, if its not livestock on the road its spillage from slurry tanker pipes  :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3916 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »
Recent visits to the park have included sighting of 3 egrets (too few to mention?) and, yesterday, a kingfisher, zooming along the stream, a couple of feet above the water level.

« Reply #3917 on: 07 February, 2015, 08:41:19 pm »

Squiggles here, too!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3918 on: 07 February, 2015, 09:54:19 pm »
Quite a few deer, buzzards, jays.

First blaireau mort  of the year :(

(click to show/hide)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3919 on: 08 February, 2015, 08:18:36 am »
So Louis Blaireau was the first badger to fly across the channel.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3920 on: 08 February, 2015, 10:15:51 am »
Just noticed that almost exactly two years ago to the day I saw a dead badger at exactly the same spot as I saw one yesterday  :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3921 on: 08 February, 2015, 11:20:55 am »
It's the Ghost of Badgers Past!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3922 on: 08 February, 2015, 03:37:54 pm »
A hare running past on walk near Swyncombe in the Chilterns today.

« Reply #3923 on: 08 February, 2015, 04:25:03 pm »
<check shiny head>

Could have been one of mine

« Reply #3924 on: 08 February, 2015, 04:53:25 pm »
red kite soaring over the house, they are spreading out nicely from the Stokern Church release area.