Author Topic: Clarkson on Top Gear  (Read 48374 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Clarkson on Top Gear
« Reply #50 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:27:28 am »
Top Gear is on again tonight.
It is simpler than it looks.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #51 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:48:03 am »
To save you the bother of watching this horseshit.. and also for when it "expires" as iplayer stuff does, here is a transcript of the conversation between Richard Hammond and Mr Clarkson

rh: Earlier this week they were running this story about cyclists wearing
video cameras on their crash helmets, so that they can video examples of road rage and people cutting them up on their bikes

jc: but cyclists deserve it

rh: don't say that! [coughs]

jc: they do, des...just the other week no, honestly, there I am sitting in a traffic jam in London and a frenchman he was he tried to cycle between the pavement and my car and after he'd removed most of the paint with the brake handle thing he came round to the drivers door to tell me off in the silly accent that french people have

rh: a french accent?

jc: yes that.  And I said to him listen if you just work harder you could afford a car!

rh: you are exactly the reason I want a camera on my bicycle helmet when I'm cycling

jc: why?

rh: when idiots like you get out of your car having cut me up...

jc: who pays the road tax?

[..and it goes on a bit complaining about militant cyclists etc ]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:51:19 am »
Fair play to Hammond for this:

rh: you are exactly the reason I want a camera on my bicycle helmet when I'm cycling

jc: why?

rh: when idiots like you get out of your car having cut me up...

Thanks, vorsprung, for the transcript.  Yes, it is offensive.  But it's like a toddler shouting 'Bum!' at the top of their voice.  He only wants attention because of his various inadequacies.
Getting there...

Clandy

« Reply #53 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:55:55 am »
He cycles round his village etc.

Lots of photographs of Clarkson cycling appearing all over the web might have an effect.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #54 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:04:01 pm »
He cycles round his village etc.

Lots of photographs of Clarkson cycling appearing all over the web might have an effect.

The plan of action I decided on is to not watch his show ( I watched the 2 minute excerpt on iplayer ), complain to the BBC and encourage everyone I know to not watch his show.

People watch it because it is funny.  But he is not Alf Garnett, he is Bernard Manning.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:37:12 pm »
What about organising a critical mass to Clarkson's place in Wiltshire? He has plenty of space. A few thousand cyclists turning up may give him something to think about. There's a Tornado or F16 jet on his front lawn or there was. What a tool.

I actually think that's a very good idea, with some suitable banners. Need to make sure it appears on TV though. The theme could be to protest about his comments, rather than actually getting him sacked. And of course impeccable conduct by the riders will be required.

and btw you'll need good directions, the jet (actually a BAC Lightning) was removed after complaints from the neighbours
... and I think he's in Chipping Norton (Oxon) not Wiltshire!

But yes, it's a good idea.

I organise/assist with 2 Audaxes that use ChippingN. We could add his address to the ride notes if there's any demand ...  O:-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #56 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:52:19 pm »
Duly complained.  It will save me getting apoplectic when my son watches it in due course (as a rerun).
I made sure I referred to 'people on cycles' and 'people driving vehicles' to underline that we are all people.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Martin

« Reply #57 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:59:34 pm »
I didn't quite understand his reference to RM as a "Peach" (apart from his closet desires)

Aside from the actual words used in the programme; the article was about cyclists equipping themsleves with headcams partly as defence for when they got into or narrowly avoided accidents, not just road rage. Assuming they actually rehearse this programme Clarkson should have done some research on this before he opened his big gob and said "they deserve it" did the rider who nearly went under an HGV in the BBC News article "deserve it"?  >:(

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #58 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:02:28 pm »
I didn't quite understand his reference to RM as a "Peach" (apart from his closet desires)

If you watch the first few minutes of the "luxury-cars-in-Albania" segment, all will be made clear.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:06:19 pm »
From the weekend's Audax reports:

Regarding the Chipping Norton control, I think it might be the same place the Jeremy Clarkson regularly visits even though he only lives a mile down the road.  He has been spotted nearby by other cyclists at times and is apparently nothing like the idiot portrayed on a certain TV programme.
So he's nothing like his TV persona? Hardly surprising. He has a couple of brain cells, and probably knows that if he was as rude and nasty about people in real life, he would get his fucking head kicked in pretty quickly.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #60 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:29:56 pm »
What about organising a critical mass to Clarkson's place in Wiltshire? He has plenty of space. A few thousand cyclists turning up may give him something to think about. There's a Tornado or F16 jet on his front lawn or there was. What a tool.

I actually think that's a very good idea, with some suitable banners. Need to make sure it appears on TV though. The theme could be to protest about his comments, rather than actually getting him sacked. And of course impeccable conduct by the riders will be required.

and btw you'll need good directions, the jet (actually a BAC Lightning) was removed after complaints from the neighbours

I'm not so sure about this.  When there is a "standard" demo or march, people make their protest then go home again to be anonymous; nobody, except the police with their cameras, knows who they are.  In this case, what the viewers or reporters will see is "cyclists".  Not just those on the demo but any cyclists.  Further, you will inevitably give more air-time to his remarks, otherwise no-one will know what the protest is about.  I don't think Clarkson (stupidly provocative though he is,) would deliberately cut up a cyclist.  I can't say the same for his viewers. 

I don't want to die in this cause, valid though it is. 

Complaining letters, slow and less dramatic are safer.

« Reply #61 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:33:47 pm »
Clarkson has a wife and family, who I assume live with him, it's not fair to target them because Clarkson says some drivel on TV.

Clandy

« Reply #62 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:34:34 pm »
I don't think Clarkson (stupidly provocative though he is,) would deliberately cut up a cyclist. 

Probably very true, but it wouldn't remove the temptation to run a pedal along the side of his Merc if I was passing him in traffic.

« Reply #63 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:40:25 pm »
I don't think Clarkson (stupidly provocative though he is,) would deliberately cut up a cyclist. 

Probably very true, but it wouldn't remove the temptation to run a pedal along the side of his Merc if I was passing him in traffic.

+1, though pleasure in passing a Merc/berk should be sufficient!

Clandy

« Reply #64 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:40:58 pm »
Clarkson has a wife and family, who I assume live with him, it's not fair to target them because Clarkson says some drivel on TV.

Are they in an equal amount of danger from cyclists as all those cycling families could be from motons who believe Clarkson's 'they deserve it' comment?

« Reply #65 on: 07 February, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »

+1, though pleasure in passing a Merc/berk should be sufficient!

Which would just reduce you to his level, or probably worse because he's just a windbag and really not worth fretting about.

And, Peter, I hope you are not generalising all Merc drivers as berks?  ;D

ian

« Reply #66 on: 07 February, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »
God god, this thread is like some kind of mass possession by Mary Whitehouse.  Quick, quick, Betty, bring my pen – there is something on the TV That I Do Not Like. Organise the troops! Onward to the sound of a thousand angry pens! Let us complain! Let the crusade begin!

For fuck’s sake, we have a lot more to worry about if our society really is nothing more than an imbecilic sludge waiting to be animated by the Commandments of Jeremy.

Clarkson does his schtick, and it’s hardly unfamiliar territory. Humour involves some prodding. Fair enough, you may find Clarkson’s middle-England pseudo-iconoclasm torpid and uninspired, but lots of people seem to lap it up. Whatever. There’s plenty of humour I scratch my head at (the entire BBC comedy output – I mean there are people out who apparently watch Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps and not as some bizarre Ludovico variant).

At this rate, in our desire to clamp down on the vaguest whiff of offence, anyone on TV will have to be recorded in advance,and revoiced by actor who can be only be seen in silhouette, just in the case the body language is perceived as offensive by a viewer somewhere.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 07 February, 2011, 03:00:54 pm »
God god, this thread is like some kind of mass possession by Mary Whitehouse.  Quick, quick, Betty, bring my pen – there is something on the TV That I Do Not Like. Organise the troops! Onward to the sound of a thousand angry pens! Let us complain! Let the crusade begin!
Interesting comparison ...

You  probably think I'm a deranged extremist already, so I may as well get straight to the point:

do you know how many people die on our roads every year?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Martin

« Reply #68 on: 07 February, 2011, 03:12:57 pm »

I'm not so sure about this.  When there is a "standard" demo or march, people make their protest then go home again to be anonymous; nobody, except the police with their cameras, knows who they are.  In this case, what the viewers or reporters will see is "cyclists".  Not just those on the demo but any cyclists.  Further, you will inevitably give more air-time to his remarks, otherwise no-one will know what the protest is about.  I don't think Clarkson (stupidly provocative though he is,) would deliberately cut up a cyclist.  I can't say the same for his viewers. 

I don't want to die in this cause, valid though it is. 

Complaining letters, slow and less dramatic are safer.

Fair enough; it was just an idea. This bloke obviously depends on his image as a Driving, Concorde Flying, EU hating Middle England bigot to sell his books (none of which I've read) so would probably just use it to get his face on TV for some more free publicity;

added to which he probably employs somebody expensive to write a lot of what comes out of his arse mouth. We have err Roger Geffen.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 07 February, 2011, 03:16:16 pm »
added to which he probably employs somebody expensive to write a lot of what comes out of his arse mouth. We have err Roger Geffen.
and Hugh Dennis!
and Marcus Brigstocke!

( "somebody expensive" : I presume you already know that JC is very expensive for us licence fee payers)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Clandy

« Reply #70 on: 07 February, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »

For fuck’s sake, we have a lot more to worry about if our society really is nothing more than an imbecilic sludge waiting to be animated by the Commandments of Jeremy.

Clarkson does his schtick, and it’s hardly unfamiliar territory. Humour involves some prodding. Fair enough, you may find Clarkson’s middle-England pseudo-iconoclasm torpid and uninspired, but lots of people seem to lap it up. Whatever. There’s plenty of humour I scratch my head at (the entire BBC comedy output – I mean there are people out who apparently watch Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps and not as some bizarre Ludovico variant).

At this rate, in our desire to clamp down on the vaguest whiff of offence, anyone on TV will have to be recorded in advance,and revoiced by actor who can be only be seen in silhouette, just in the case the body language is perceived as offensive by a viewer somewhere.

I like Top Gear. I watch it every week (on iPlayer). I enjoy the irreverence, the jabs at the politically correct, the ridiculing of caravanners, MG owners (I used to be one of those too) etc. but I draw the line at dialogue that may result in some moton in a hot hatch thinking I'm fair game to be cut up or knocked down.

Clandy

« Reply #71 on: 07 February, 2011, 03:20:15 pm »
I presume you already know that JC is very expensive for us licence fee payers)

He isn't really, have you seen how much Top Gear grosses for the BBC?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 07 February, 2011, 03:42:07 pm »
I presume you already know that JC is very expensive for us licence fee payers)

He isn't really, have you seen how much Top Gear grosses for the BBC?
Does he present it on his own now?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #74 on: 07 February, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
Sunday 13th February - A relaxing ride for us, an education for Jeremy Clarkson. - velocentric's posterous

I quite fancy a pootle in the Cotswolds.

Personally I think it's pointless - panders to his enourmous ego.

It's all a persona designed to rile people.  Of course no-one 'deserves' to be cut-up, but let's face it, he did say something pretty sensible - “I’m sorry, I don’t mind if cyclists want to come on the road with their silly Victorian distractions, I’m not bothered, but they must behave themselves.”

There's not a day goes by without seeing some idiot cyclist coming close to being taken out of the gene pool due to their complete disregard for the rules of the road and lack of consideration for other road users.  I am amazed by the consideration and skill many drivers are forced to test as some numpty blows across red lights, over three lanes of traffic, wearing dark clothes with no lights. 

Not defending the chap in the slightest, but everyone's up in arms because people might actually listen to what he says - let's hope more cyclists listen to that little snippet and show a little more consideration to other road users.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!