Author Topic: Cargo bike vs bike + trailer?  (Read 9950 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Cargo bike vs bike + trailer?
« Reply #25 on: 30 January, 2012, 11:41:36 am »
We had both a child seat and a trailer. We used them for different purposes.

I'd be loathe to use a child seat for anyone under 18months. Even with that, if you use a hlemet ensure that the back of the child seat accommodates it rather than pushing the head forwards (I am generally not in favour of helmets for under 2yo anyway as am unconvinced that they do not adversely affect the neck).

Here is a pic of our two oldest in a trailer. The baby seat is a cheap ABS car seat that had been trimmed to fit with a jigsaw and then padded with a karrimat. It is fitted with it's own restraining harness and is connected via a padding layer to the trailer (big bolts and washers, and multiple layers of karrimat)

img116 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

The trailer is a Winther Dolphin which still remains as my most expensive single bike or bike-related purchase (more than I have ever spent on a new bike). Worth every penny though as it was used as a push chair, trailer and so on for about 8 years before being sold on.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 30 January, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
I love seeing things like that when I'm out on a ride, they make me happy! On a recent club run, we - a dozen grumpy old men in weird clothing, grumbling about dodgy derailleurs or the price of carbon fibre headsets - were passed by a father and daughter (about 9 or 10) on a tandem - they smiled and waved at us and for a moment everyone became happy.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2012, 12:17:14 pm »
We've threatened to tag along with a clubrun before. We overtook a straggler on a Carbon Willer. As we went by, he felt the need to say "my crank is rubbing" :)

Much as I love our cargobikes, tandems are much more fun!